Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopGunPC

BIOS Resets if PSU is switched on overnight prior to Boot

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello all, I have been having an issue with my PC. It is my second build. I  have safely overclocked the RAM on the motherboard to 3200MHz with the standard XMP setting. (1.35v) It starts fine, however I have found if I leave my PSU switched on for extended time, (overnight) my BIOS fully resets, including my RAM to the stock 2133MHz. My PSU is a 550w and my estiamted wattage on PCPartPicker is 374w. My CPU and GPU I have completely 'un-overclocked' to see if that was the issue and even changed the RAM OC to 3000MHz but to no avail.

 

I realize it may not be the best practice to leave the PSU switched on overnight, but I don't think the BIOS should be reset if I do?

 

OS: Windows 10

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: ASRock B450 PRO4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8G
Case: Thermaltake Versa H17 Micro ATX Mini Tower
Storage: Intel SSD 660p Series 1TB
PSU: Rosewill ARC-550 550W
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

 

BIOS is 3.90, the latest version.

 

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum!

 

Clear your Cmos, boot into Bios, reset all settings to default, update your Bios, then go from there. I also recommend setting RAM manually to 3200MHz and boosting the voltage to 1.3500V VS enabling XMP mode. Also make sure your CPU voltage isn't cranked, I would set it to 1.2500V. 

 

It seems more likely that you have a fault when booting that causes the system to reset to defaults within Bios. Try this as a fix first^^^

 

16 minutes ago, TopGunPC said:

I realize it may not be the best practice to leave the PSU switched on overnight, but I don't think the BIOS should be reset if I do?

Leaving the PSU on is fine, I never turn mine off. Turning it off is not common practice. 


AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Noctua NF or Corsair ML?  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2 W/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

 

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2 W/ Black+White Sleeved Cables  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

 

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

 

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

 

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

 

Sold PC's  Big White

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TopGunPC said:

Hello all, I have been having an issue with my PC. It is my second build. I  have safely overclocked the RAM on the motherboard to 3200MHz with the standard XMP setting. (1.35v) It starts fine, however I have found if I leave my PSU switched on for extended time, (overnight) my BIOS fully resets, including my RAM to the stock 2133MHz. My PSU is a 550w and my estiamted wattage on PCPartPicker is 374w. My CPU and GPU I have completely 'un-overclocked' to see if that was the issue and even changed the RAM OC to 3000MHz but to no avail.

 

I realize it may not be the best practice to leave the PSU switched on overnight, but I don't think the BIOS should be reset if I do?

 

OS: Windows 10

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: ASRock B450 PRO4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8G
Case: Thermaltake Versa H17 Micro ATX Mini Tower
Storage: Intel SSD 660p Series 1TB
PSU: Rosewill ARC-550 550W
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

 

BIOS is 3.90, the latest version.

 

Thank you!

I think you're triggering the "safe settings", it's not reset per se, but rather something is happening overnight that is causing it to register a bad setting, so it resets. Check your power management settings (eg force it to sleep) and see if you can trigger it manually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 3/12/2020 at 4:45 PM, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

Welcome to the forum!

 

Clear your Cmos, boot into Bios, reset all settings to default, update your Bios, then go from there. I also recommend setting RAM manually to 3200MHz and boosting the voltage to 1.3500V VS enabling XMP mode. Also make sure your CPU voltage isn't cranked, I would set it to 1.2500V. 

 

It seems more likely that you have a fault when booting that causes the system to reset to defaults within Bios. Try this as a fix first^^^

 

Leaving the PSU on is fine, I never turn mine off. Turning it off is not common practice. 

Hello! So I tried this and had more problem so I went ahead and replaced the motherboard with the same model and it started up fine but when I went to restart the computer my monitor lost signal. After hearing my fans spin up and slow down several times it booted into windows with a reset bios yet again. Thinking it may be the PSU?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 3/12/2020 at 4:49 PM, Kisai said:

I think you're triggering the "safe settings", it's not reset per se, but rather something is happening overnight that is causing it to register a bad setting, so it resets. Check your power management settings (eg force it to sleep) and see if you can trigger it manually.

Hello! So I tried this and could not trigger it so I went ahead and replaced the motherboard with the same model and it started up fine but when I went to restart the computer my monitor lost signal. After hearing my fans spin up and slow down several times it booted into windows with a reset bios yet again. Thinking it may be the PSU?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopGunPC said:

Hello! So I tried this and could not trigger it so I went ahead and replaced the motherboard with the same model and it started up fine but when I went to restart the computer my monitor lost signal. After hearing my fans spin up and slow down several times it booted into windows with a reset bios yet again. Thinking it may be the PSU?

If the PSU is dropping the standby power, possibly. I would suggest borrowing one to test rather than buying one, since a PSU issue usually isn't very obvious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×