Audio Technica ATH-M50

iceballfunela

Hey guys, I want to ask, what is all the hype on these headphones, people seem to be recommending them all over and they have a tremendous amount of positive reviews on Amazon. Also, are they good for somewhat medium to large ears?

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

they sound nice and they aren't too expensive.

they are good for medium to large ears

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

they sound nice and they aren't too expensive.

they are good for medium to large ears

Then how do these compare to the new ATH-m50X?

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

They are overpriced, which makes them good. And overhyped, which makes them "God" 
There are better options available for the price

Then how do these compare to the new ATH-m50X?

They are mostly identical, only things that have changed are the pads and the cable is detachable. But they sound the same and cost more.  

They are overpriced, which makes them good. And overhyped, which makes them "God" 

There are better options available for the price

Some examples?

ASUS ROG G75VX

Some examples?

SRH440's with 840 pads. Cheaper and more comfortable. 

HD439, similar sound, infinitely more comfortable and cheaper

Can't be bother to think of a third, someone else can cover that, just don't bother with the M50 or M50x. 

Randomly thought of a third, vLeve

The ATH-M50 is a good $100 headphone.

Since they typically sell for $150 ish, nearly every other audiophile headphone in the price range is more recommendable. That's not to say that the M50's aren't "the best" headphones for any particular person, but since preference is subjective there's no way to tell without owning all the headphones for a period of time and living with them for while. Since most people asking about the M50 have never had good headphones to compare, it's best to recommend them a Beyerdynamic DT 770 or 990 because the build quality is simply superior and the Pro versions usually cost $150 ish as well.

If you can get them for like $90 or less then don't hesitate.

The m50x has the same speakers. Just has different features like removable cable and stuff.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

The ATH-M50 is a good $100 headphone.

Since they typically sell for $150 ish, nearly every other audiophile headphone in the price range is more recommendable. That's not to say that the M50's aren't "the best" headphones for any particular person, but since preference is subjective there's no way to tell without owning all the headphones for a period of time and living with them for while. Since most people asking about the M50 have never had good headphones to compare, it's best to recommend them a Beyerdynamic DT 770 or 990 because the build quality is simply superior and the Pro versions usually cost $150 ish as well.

Beyerdynamic is like 200-250 USD at where I stay so yeah... no.

ASUS ROG G75VX

SRH440's with 840 pads. Cheaper and more comfortable. 

HD439, similar sound, infinitely more comfortable and cheaper

Can't be bother to think of a third, someone else can cover that, just don't bother with the M50 or M50x. 

Randomly thought of a third, vLeve

I've been eying the HD439 for a while but the build quality kinda sucks though...

ASUS ROG G75VX

I've been eying the HD439 for a while but the build quality kinda sucks though...

Kinda not really, the pair I used for the past two weeks is a little over a year old and feels fine. 

Beyerdynamic is like 200-250 USD at where I stay so yeah... no.

Well it's not like you gave us a location, and I did say usually.

where I stay

Can I guess that you're Hispanic without insult? 

They are mostly identical, only things that have changed are the pads and the cable is detachable. But they sound the same and cost more.

I actually bought the M50 RD a few months back before the new revision. Was thinking about upgrading to the new revision; realized that it's more of a sidegrade than anything else given the prices in SG. Besides, I use it on my PC for music and games LOL. Same sound.

They sound alright, but the pads on them are not friendly, at least not for my ears, they touched the outside of my ears, making my usual 5-7 hours of daily use dreadful after about an hour. The pads also turned rock hard after a few months. as EmoRarity said, there are much better options, including the SRH440 with 840 pads. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Well it's not like you gave us a location, and I did say usually.

Can I guess that you're Hispanic without insult? 

SIngapore and I'm Chinese..

ASUS ROG G75VX

Ok, I found a store which I was able to try some headphones and the shures were not very comfortable, the M50 was not my taste and were a little uncomfortable and the Senns HD 518... OMG IT WAS AWESOME. It was really comfortable and the sound quality was great. ALso people said that the open design will leak sound a lot, this isn't very true, it wasn't leaking as much as I thought it would. I think I know which one I'm getting now, thanks for all the help.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Ok, I found a store which I was able to try some headphones and the shures were not very comfortable, the M50 was not my taste and were a little uncomfortable and the Senns HD 518... OMG IT WAS AWESOME. It was really comfortable and the sound quality was great. ALso people said that the open design will leak sound a lot, this isn't very true, it wasn't leaking as much as I thought it would. I think I know which one I'm getting now, thanks for all the help.

Well if the Shure's and M50's arent very comfortable for you, then you know that you don't like fake leather at least.

Well if the Shure's and M50's arent very comfortable for you, then you know that you don't like fake leather at least.

Noo... not really the fake leather, It's uncomfortable because my ear touches the plastic part of the headphone, I don't really mind fake leather.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Noo... not really the fake leather, It's uncomfortable because my ear touches the plastic part of the headphone, I don't really mind fake leather.

oh, okay. but with 840 pads, the Shure SRH440's get a lot better

Now I don't want to cause a fight but I've been observing for the past few weeks the hostility towards the M50s. I don't understand why though. Fair enough there may be better stuff that sounds "better" but to say the M50s suck is just plain wrong. Not naming anyone in particular and some are quite objective towards them. Comfort is a personal preference as well, mine have been fine without a replacement ear pads for over a year now. I got mine for about £130. Do I wish that I bought another pair? Not really, there are other features I like such as the folding mechanism and coiled cable. Other headphones may sound better but may not be as well built, or convenient. 

I'm not questioning anyone's judgement here, I'm just saying that its not right to say the M50s are terrible. Its a bit like saying an Bentley is terrible and overpriced, its not Rolls Royce but its still decent. 

In my opinion they are great headphones and have great features like a folding mechanism, coiled cable, great build quality and great sound. 

Now I don't want to cause a fight but I've been observing for the past few weeks the hostility towards the M50s. I don't understand why though. Fair enough there may be better stuff that sounds "better" but to say the M50s suck is just plain wrong. Not naming anyone in particular and some are quite objective towards them. Comfort is a personal preference as well, mine have been fine without a replacement ear pads for over a year now. I got mine for about £130. Do I wish that I bought another pair? Not really, there are other features I like such as the folding mechanism and coiled cable. Other headphones may sound better but may not be as well built, or convenient. 

I'm not questioning anyone's judgement here, I'm just saying that its not right to say the M50s are terrible. Its a bit like saying an Bentley is terrible and overpriced, its not Rolls Royce but its still decent. 

In my opinion they are great headphones and have great features like a folding mechanism, coiled cable, great build quality and great sound. 

I love my m50s for music, but for first person shooters I cant stand them, their positional sound is absent, I hear people all around me

I have no problem with you calling me out, I could prefer a civil discussion over my heavily opinionated view that took months to formulate after tossing the M50 against more expensive, less expensive and similarly priced products, different classes of products, different usage models, and my personal tastes and objective testing.

If you are down for a chat, I am too, but I won't list all of the "testing" I did unless you are. 

I have no problem with you calling me out, I could prefer a civil discussion over my heavily opinionated view that took months to formulate after tossing the M50 against more expensive, less expensive and similarly priced products, different classes of products, different usage models, and my personal tastes and objective testing.

If you are done for a chat, I am too, but I won't list all of the "testing" I did unless you are. 

LOL, almost died when i read this. The perfect example of being politically correct.

Loves PC Games :D