think it would be beneficial to both the isp and Microsoft/Sony and others? osting updates/new and hot games

intertan

Isp's already have a Netflix server offered to them. If Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, steam offered the same idea for updates and new games would if benefit everybody?

Cyberpunk 2077 would be a good case. There is a lot of hype, people will get the digital downloads and those that get the physical disk will most likely have to update. If Microsoft for example put the game of the server 48 hours before launch, and any updates this could help speed things up for gamers at launch, not slow down the isp connection and Microsoft servers.

Security might be a thing but if it is hosted in the isp data center it shouldn't be a big issue.

Not sure if I follow what you're saying, but some developers sometimes allow you to download early. I think COD does it plenty of times

The slow down depends on the isp and your package, I've never experienced any slow down when downloading big games.

7 hours ago, intertan said:

Isp's already have a Netflix server offered to them. If Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, steam offered the same idea for updates and new games would if benefit everybody?

Cyberpunk 2077 would be a good case. There is a lot of hype, people will get the digital downloads and those that get the physical disk will most likely have to update. If Microsoft for example put the game of the server 48 hours before launch, and any updates this could help speed things up for gamers at launch, not slow down the isp connection and Microsoft servers.

Security might be a thing but if it is hosted in the isp data center it shouldn't be a big issue.

Devs are not going to want to pay the money to the ISP's to make this happen. Because there is no way in the US for instance of ISP's doing this for free. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Steam, Microsoft, Sony, and others already do have cache servers hosted in various locations and I would assume at least some of those are within Comcast/Spectrum/other ISP networks as well but it doesn't always make sense to host a set of cache servers in every ISPs network either. There is also a lot to be said for which games it makes sense for, the developer's appetite for it, etc. and if they'll even allow them to cache the game early or not.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 3/10/2020 at 10:49 PM, Syaoran said:

Not sure if I follow what you're saying, but some developers sometimes allow you to download early. I think COD does it plenty of times

The slow down depends on the isp and your package, I've never experienced any slow down when downloading big games.

its not us the gamer's downloading the game early. It is putting the game on the server at the isp data center. Then when the day comes instead of everyone connecting to sony's servers in say California if I am in Toronto I connect to Toronto's isp server and get the game there. places like Walmart and such already get the games/movies days before release. This is just the digital equivalent.

Even if the server is 4tb of m.2 ssd in it connected to the isp network via 10 or even 40gbps we might actually be able to max out the connection to play the games faster. Even with Microsoft new xbox and its m.2 based storage device. 1gbps connections are becoming the norm now a days.

2 minutes ago, intertan said:

1gbps connections are becoming the norm now a days.

Offered yes. But the norm for most people to have? No. Comcast wants $129 a month for just internet with the Gigabit plan. Most are not going to pay that. Also rural areas wont have those speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.