GPU is dead.. should I buy a 1660 super and wait for a year or two for a mega monster GPU update? (CPU is 3950x)

MS-DOS

So ive got a new build with 3950x, Noctua 15 chromax black keeps it pretty cool. 32gb ram 3600mhz 16 16 19

Thing is, my old GPU died, it was a radeon from like 7 years ago. Well it still works, but shuts itself down under heavy loads. Tried it in another computer so its confirmed.

My plan was to wait until xmas and buy whatever new is out there. But plans have changed. I cant play anything or work on 3d like this.

I was considering buying an intermediate card, go on for 2 years, then buy a mega monster GPU that will be the console killer. Coupled with the 3950x it should last me for years. Tried Doom with 3950x, its ridiculous how it barely stresses it. So i don't see this GPU being a bottleneck anytime soon. In the future I will want to play next gen VR racing games, so I think 2 years is a good margin. Until then just 1080p gaming and some hobby 3d animation.

Im considering one of these 2:

https://www.gigabyte.com/eu/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SGAMING-OC-6GD#kf

https://www.gigabyte.com/eu/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SOC-6GD#kf

Which basically are almost the same and similar price so might as well go for 3 fans. I also do audio work and I heard these run very quiet which is cool.

Any comments etc? Would you spend more? whats the best plan?

I've heard nvidia works better with Doom specially with Vulkan so that's why I was sticking with nvidia, I plan to play Doom and Doom Eternal with this card.

Personally I would run a used gtx 1070 or 1080 they go for about the same price as the 1660 super/1660ti though I know a lot of people don’t trust used hardware. But honestly the 1660 super is a little weak for that cpu. I do believe waiting is a good idea though with gpus being priced how they are right now. Only time will tell though who knows how much the rtx 3000 series might cost.

3 minutes ago, DragonsRift said:

Personally I would run a used gtx 1070 or 1080 they go for about the same price as the 1660 super/1660ti though I know a lot of people don’t trust used hardware. But honestly the 1660 super is a little weak for that cpu. I do believe waiting is a good idea though with gpus being priced how they are right now. Only time will tell though who knows how much the rtx 3000 series might cost.

Yeah I dont really trust used hardware at all. I can pick up a 1060 super gaming OC for 250€... its in stock. For 1080p I think its enough. New 1070's go for 400€, not worth it imo. I think I can wait for 2 years, and then pick a monster. I get vietnam flashbacks at the thought of buying something used and then having problems.

3 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

Yeah I dont really trust used hardware at all. I can pick up a 1060 super gaming OC for 250€... its in stock. For 1080p I think its enough. New 1070's go for 400€, not worth it imo. I think I can wait for 2 years, and then pick a monster. I get vietnam flashbacks at the thought of buying something used and then having problems.

For 1080p that should be plenty, don’t forget to look at Amds options the 5600xt is still a decent option there aswell

Just now, DragonsRift said:

For 1080p that should be plenty, don’t forget to look at Amds options the 5600xt is still a decent option there aswell

5600xt goes more expensive than 1660 super I think it starts becoming too much

Just now, MS-DOS said:

5600xt goes more expensive than 1660 super I think it starts becoming too much

Is it? I haven’t looked in a while I know there were supposed to be around the same price point if it is more expensive then definitely go with the 1660S as Nvidia drivers are a lot better than amds are right now

3 minutes ago, DragonsRift said:

Is it? I haven’t looked in a while I know there were supposed to be around the same price point if it is more expensive then definitely go with the 1660S as Nvidia drivers are a lot better than amds are right now

Right now on the shop im looking:

Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1660 SUPER Gaming OC 6GB GDDR6 -  259,94€

cheapeast XT 5600 I can find: MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT MECH OC 6GB GDDR6 319,95€ with a discount: 309,95€

Edit: actually I found this:

PowerColor Radeon RX 5600 XT 6GB GDDR6 €289,90, its on a sale, usualy at 329,90€... should I buy this? for 30€ more

But im not sure if I should trust "PowerColor". How do you rate that brand?

Definitely go with the Nvidia option then, then when we find out what’s going on with next gen gpus you can make your decision then about what to buy, for now you can use that to get you by 

2 minutes ago, DragonsRift said:
4 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

cheapeast XT 5600 I can find: MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT MECH OC 6GB GDDR6 319,95€ with a discount: 309,95€

I edited post with PowerColor one

2 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

I edited post with PowerColor one

they perform about the same so just go with the nvidia option if you plan on buying a better GPU later, it will save you some for that better GPU.

1 minute ago, DragonsRift said:

they perform about the same so just go with the nvidia option if you plan on buying a better GPU later, it will save you some for that better GPU.

Are you sure? those tests are pretty brutal:

battlefield-5-1080-5600.png

TR_1440p.png

13 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

Edit: actually I found this:

PowerColor Radeon RX 5600 XT 6GB GDDR6 €289,90, its on a sale, usualy at 329,90€... should I buy this? for 30€ more

But im not sure if I should trust "PowerColor". How do you rate that brand?

PowerColor is usually good, but try looking for the prices on the 5700 in some places it is cheaper than the 5600XT or the same price while performing better and having more memory. By the € I assume you're in the EU, but what country or shop you're buying from?

4 minutes ago, DragonsRift said:

The 5600XT competes against the 2060 not the 1660 Super, it is 15~20% faster on average.

5 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

PowerColor is usually good, but try looking for the prices on the 5700 in some places it is cheaper than the 5600XT or the same price while performing better and having more memory. By the € I assume you're in the EU, but what country or shop you're buying from?

The 5600XT competes against the 2060 not the 1660 Super, it is 15~20% faster on average.

https://www.pccomponentes.com

https://www.coolmod.com/

im looking at those 2

https://www.pccomponentes.com/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-oc-8gb-gddr6

Should I get this?

my concern is the drivers suck or something

Also, how noisy are PowerColor ones? I've heard Gigabyte and Asus fans have 0 rpm mode during idle. And they let allow you to have fan curves.

with drivers from AMD and Nvidia now. you can adjust everything to how you want it to be. but I would look into the AMD drivers a little more as they have been having issues over the past few weeks. the current one is 20.2.2 

I am not trying to add to your anxiety or anything. just letting you know what I think. but one big factor is that you want to make sure the GPU you pic is going to physically fit inside your case. so find out the dimensions of your case, what is the biggest GPU you can put in there (size wise LxWxH) and then look at the GPUs dimensions to see if its going to fit.

I haven't seen any review of that model, so I don't know much about it, the other models by PowerColor aren't bad, but that one doesn't seem as good and doesn't seem to have any fan stop feature.

If low noise is important I would say that this triple fan 1660S by Gigabyte is probably going to be the best, otherwise i would get the 5700. On the driver problems, they are more likely to work without issues than not, so it shouldn't matter much, just know that if you don't want to do any troubleshooting it might be better to be prepared to return the card if you have issues.

14 minutes ago, tdkid said:

with drivers from AMD and Nvidia now. you can adjust everything to how you want it to be. but I would look into the AMD drivers a little more as they have been having issues over the past few weeks. the current one is 20.2.2 

I am not trying to add to your anxiety or anything. just letting you know what I think. but one big factor is that you want to make sure the GPU you pic is going to physically fit inside your case. so find out the dimensions of your case, what is the biggest GPU you can put in there (size wise LxWxH) and then look at the GPUs dimensions to see if its going to fit.

I think im gonna stick to my original idea:

https://www.gigabyte.com/eu/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SGAMING-OC-6GD#kf

I don't see how this isn't enough for 1080p gaming. And competitive esport games I play with everything on low details anyway so im sure I can reach 144fps.

For regular single player games 60 fps should be enough (Doom and Doom Eternal mostly)

then in 2 years I buy a monster

I can pick that right now for 260€. Im also paranoid that AMD drivers give me random hiccups on older games like Quake Live. On my former radeon I had those random freezes, didnt happen with my former nvidia.

I think AMD have the potential to take over the GPU world too if they fine tune drivers.

Also when you shift away from your original intend its crazy how you start going higher and higher in price, I was already considering RTX 2060 for what is supposed to be an mid term GPU to wait for next gen