Discord.js or discord.py?

BannedTheBacon

Hello, I wish to find the easiest programming language i can learn fast. Any advice? I have been researching and people say that discord.py is easier than discord.js but if so, i would like to find the basics, not setting up the bot, but the programming basics such as the meanings of args, and basic discord.py programming. Thanks!

W3 schools is a fucking life saver, it has all the tags and what not you could ever need and explains them in depth.

it covers multiple coding languages and sure as hell made my life easier when I started doing interactive drop down menus in html.

python is a good place to start, it’s actually quite a dynamic language, but still easy to learn

komodo edit is a pretty straightforward editor and was easier to use then pycharm for me, make sure not to install your projects twice on accident too, as that will cause your editor to have issues deciding which one is which.

any way, good luck! ?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

well im mostly into discord bot programming atm, and i want to find the easiest course to learn the easiest programming language to code a discord bot.

I would say js assuming it has support for event emitters.

So you can do discord.on('message',(data)=>{}) other wise python.

Edit: It does support emmitters but last publish was 2 years ago.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Discord.js just recently updated to their long awaited v12, so it's more than up-to-date when it comes to discord's api endpoints. Personally I'm a js fan and kinda like it more, especially wheh it comes to larger bots compared to python. 

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 5950x | 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz | XFX Reference 6800 XT | MSI Unify X570 | Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | bequiet 850W Straight Power 11

Server: Ryzen 5 3600 | 4x32GB DDR4 ECC 2400MHz | Asrock Rack X470D4U | Samsung EVO Plus 250GB, 6x Seagate Exos 8TB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB | bequiet 550W Straight Power 11

2 hours ago, Jisagi said:

Discord.js just recently updated to their long awaited v12, so it's more than up-to-date when it comes to discord's api endpoints. Personally I'm a js fan and kinda like it more, especially wheh it comes to larger bots compared to python. 

Depends on the bot, if you're botimg event based triggers like messages or tweets then js all the way, if you need to scrape websites or data then python

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

7 hours ago, scuff gang said:

W3 schools is a fucking life saver, it has all the tags and what not you could ever need and explains them in depth.

it covers multiple coding languages and sure as hell made my life easier when I started doing interactive drop down menus in html.

python is a good place to start, it’s actually quite a dynamic language, but still easy to learn

komodo edit is a pretty straightforward editor and was easier to use then pycharm for me, make sure not to install your projects twice on accident too, as that will cause your editor to have issues deciding which one is which.

any way, good luck! ?

I agree, I starting with python, it can get pretty complex and both people who are new to programming and have already mastered languages can learn this. 

18 hours ago, BannedTheBacon said:

I wish to find the easiest programming language i can learn fast. Any advice?

Lisp.

Write in C.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:55 AM, scuff gang said:

python is a good place to start,

Personally, I don't like Python because it doesn't tell you about errors.

I like languages that get compiled. But that's just me.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:58 AM, BannedTheBacon said:

well im mostly into discord bot programming atm, and i want to find the easiest course to learn the easiest programming language to code a discord bot.

Python will be your best bet for a discord bot, it you can retrieve data from apps and webpages very easily with python.

AMD blackout rig

46 minutes ago, fpo said:

Personally, I don't like Python because it doesn't tell you about errors.

If you use an editor it sometimes does, depends on the editor.

i prefer Komodo edit, but the only thing that sucks is it doesn’t have a test box, so you actually have to launch the file.

AMD blackout rig

I don't think it's good to learn programming on python. 

Yes, It is one of the most popular languages, but in my opinion it has some weird stuff.

As I know for learning is the best to use compiled language(C#, Java...) than interpreted like Python or PHP with their "pseudo objects" etc..

And for your question: I used discord.py and DSharpPlus (C#). DSharpPlus is much better (at least for me).

32 minutes ago, kawaii__neko_ said:

for learning is the best to use compiled language(C#, Java...)

Neither C# nor Java are actual compiled languages. They "compile" to bytecode which is interpreted in their own virtual machines.

Write in C.

Really, no language should be a "first" language you learn. Learning to think like a programmer and the general concepts behind all of it and everything is a far better place to start. A lot of people want to jump straight into typing up something so it works, but there are far better places to start. There are a lot of resources that explain variables, arrays, functions, classes, etc... Once those fundamentals are gone over, you can find how they differ from language to language.

Having said all that, and in relation to what you're asking in this thread, Python is pretty decent as an entry language because you can learn and implement programming concepts without too much worrying about the specific syntax (because it sheds that which exists in a lot of other languages, while keeping some core things).

That way in the future, you can work through what you want the code to do, and alter your syntax depending on the language should you need or want to change. Obviously, some languages will require more structural changes with the syntax, but the main points of understanding will be there.