New Badge Suggestion

Max1996LTT

A badge that indicates who's most reliable when it comes to picking the best parts for a new builder's needs. How's that idea?

1 minute ago, Max1996LTT said:

A badge that indicates who's most reliable when it comes to picking the best parts for a new builder's needs. How's that idea?

This suggestion (and similar 'badge of approval'-like suggestions) have been declined in the past, because it would require a lot of vetting to know someone is actually 'the best' or even 'competent'.

It could also make it so a 'verified advisor' can say things that don't make sense, yet have more credibility because of that role.

I think in the past there was a system like this for specific sub forums, but I think because of the above reason they got rid of it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

This suggestion (and similar 'badge of approval'-like suggestions) have been declined in the past, because it would require a lot of vetting to know someone is actually 'the best' or even 'competent'.

It could also make it so a 'verified advisor' can say things that don't make sense, yet have more credibility because of that role.

I think in the past there was a system like this for specific sub forums, but I think because of the above reason they got rid of it.

Any other suggestions to prevent potential misinformation in new builders' threads?

Any other suggestions to prevent potential misinformation in new builders' threads?

Open the threads, read the replies of the fellow users and correct them where they are wrong :D

Adding a badge to prove some users are 'more worthy of listening to'  than others is in my opinion the wrong approach.

The reliability of this forum - in my opinion again - comes from the knowledgable forum users that can correct where they are wrong/mistaken. Those users can be people who never posted before, people who are super active and anyone inbetween.

By giving certain users an extra 'badge of knowledge', you're automatically implying everyone who doesn't have this badge knows less. I do not think that is a healthy attitude on a forum.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Open the threads, read the replies of the fellow users and correct them where they are wrong :D

Adding a badge to prove some users are 'more worthy of listening to'  than others is in my opinion the wrong approach.

The reliability of this forum - in my opinion again - comes from the knowledgable forum users that can correct where they are wrong/mistaken. Those users can be people who never posted before, people who are super active and anyone inbetween.

By giving certain users an extra 'badge of knowledge', you're automatically implying everyone who doesn't have this badge knows less. I do not think that is a healthy attitude on a forum.

What about the inverse, then? A badge to showcase the less reliable ones?

That would require the same amount of policing and is an even more toxic attitude to users.

Anyone can feel free to disagree with me here, but I think that's a horrible idea.

The policing required for this, is people reporting posts from users contain inaccuracies, moderators would now have to assess a post for said mistakes and think of a 'score' (or rather negative score) to give this user

Now if we're being fair, people could also improve their score from what it was before. Because otherwise it's unfair. You can get negative points, but  not positive points? So now on top of giving people negative scores, the moderators (or who else) needs to keep track of who improved their advice and remove them from the 'bad users' club.

It's kind of the same reason there is not a downvote/dislike button on posts. If we disagree with someone or if they are plainly wrong, we're suppose to respond to them telling them (and in turn the OP/the rest of the thread) what is wrong.

But I'm curious, how do you think the badge of approval/badge of disapproval system would work?

Hell no!

What I said the last time this was suggested...

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1058295-more-badgesindustry-affialiate-thing/?do=findComment&comment=12515900

HELL NO!
That's a whole level of ego boosting that the forum doesn't need.
I definitely wouldn't want anyone to be labelled as an "expert" in any field on the forums, because then suddenly it implies that their post/opinion must be somehow more correct than someone elses who doesn't have the tag. "Oh, they must be right they're marked as a PSU Expert, I'll ignore everything else the other people are saying"... Will hamper critical thinking and sensible debates, and some people will take it too far thinking their shit don't stink just because they have the tag.
Might stop people from questioning the arguments that people make if they have that tag as well, and questioning and criticising points made by others can be a really good way to learn or change peoples minds.

Also how would you choose who received the badge and who didn't? How do you think the people who regularly help in the new build section but don't receive the badge are going to feel?

What happens when the "experts" with the badges are wrong? Do they lose their badge if they make a mistake and someone corrects them?

What about someone new to the forum who wants to help people out but gets ignored because they don't have the badge? 

3 minutes ago, Max1996LTT said:

Yeah... Reply to the thread and provide the correct information, or more realistically provide your opinion on what is best.

2 minutes ago, Max1996LTT said:

That's even worse. 

How would you feel if you had a big "DUMBASS" badge underneath your name next to every post you made?

Is there even a problem you're trying to solve with this?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Is there even a problem you're trying to solve with this?

Being preventative towards misinformation...was the concept in my head. It certainly worked better there.

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That's even worse. 

How would you feel if you had a big "DUMBASS" badge underneath your name next to every post you made?

It's like the digital equivalent to a 'Dunce'-cap. At least that is how it would feel to have that 'badge of disapproval' I think.

Certainly not something a member would like to have on their account.

41 minutes ago, Max1996LTT said:

Being preventative towards misinformation...was the concept in my head. It certainly worked better there.

Misinformation is thankfully not really prevalent in the New Builds and Planning subforum (in my experience).

That is because of multiple reasons including:

1. When someone asks for a build suggestion, they usually get 3-4 different PC builds from different users, so there is already some room to research between the components.

2. Users will argue/disagree with others, meaning you can get accurate objective information

3. PCPartPicker itself already has a tool to check builds, so blatantly wrong stuff (like an Intel board and AMD CPU for example) has a huge red flag at the bottom of it already

I would not appreciate this kind of badge being made. Some people know more than others on a certain subject, but it doesn't make them less reliable. For example, I know very little about nuclear physics, but I have an extensive background in Criminal Justice, Corrections, and Military. Just because you may not know something doesn't mean you aren't reliable in other fields or stupid. I can see a badge like this being abused for the use of cyberbullying and harassment.