Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zazo06

Is my CPU bottle Necking my GPU?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys, just joined and have a question!

I don't know how I could tell if my GPU is being bottleneck-ed by my CPU or not. I have to mention that I am running on a 49" Samsung 144 monitor. I started thinking about the bottleneck issue when I noticed that I can't run many games at full 144 on the highest graphics like, Call of duty MWF, Red Dead II, and even Apex sometimes drops FPS, I normally get between 90-120 FPS on these games.

Here are my Specs:

CPU: I7-8700k 3.70 GHz

GPU: RTX 2080 Ti (Water cooled)

Ram: 16 Gb 3200

Motherboard: Asus Z370-A

Storage: Samsung M.2 and an ssd and a hard drive

Thanks for the Help!
3 minutes ago, zazo06 said:

Welcome to the forum!

In short, no. What would give you a sizable performance boost? Nothing. So you have nothing to be concerned about. the 8700k is still solid, just OC the snot out of it if you want the extra performance. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Noctua NF or Corsair ML?  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2 W/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2 W/ Black+White Sleeved Cables  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Sold PC's  Big White

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JM21 said:

In short, no. What would give you a sizable performance boost? Nothing. So you have nothing to be concerned about. the 8700k is still solid, just OC the snot out of it if you want the extra performance. 

the issues more comes down to trying to max out these games your GPU not CPU bound.

Edited by Spotty

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 3000, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 750, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Compute server Rappter(remember to add link) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

WIP NAS Spirt Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

Just check CPU usage. Open up task manager and fire up a game. Play for a bit and then ALT+TAB away from the game and look at task manager. if the CPU is at 100% (or near) and the GPU is nowhere close to 100%, then yes it's a bottleneck. Otherwise no.

In general, 8700K is still a great CPU and shouldn't bottleneck.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 512GB SSD - 16GB DDR4 - I lost my pen so I convince myself I don't need it

"Sometimes I just buy computer hardware with no practical use for it, maybe I'm weird"

-Galileo Galilei, 1604

It's incredibly rare to be CPU bottlenecked these days. Unless you're pairing a 2080 with a budget i3 or something you're almost always gonna be GPU limited

It's about balanced with the main bottleneck varying my the title. 

Be aware that at some level you're more concerned and checking a box for "the best" than actual usability. 

You should decide target performance levels and be content with the cheapest part that checks your box. 

R9 3900x; 64GB RAM | RTX 2080 | 1.5TB Optane P4800x

1TB ADATA XPG Pro 8200 SSD | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD
HD800 + SCHIIT VALI | Topre Realforce Keyboard

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, zazo06 said:

I don't know how I could tell if my GPU is being bottleneck-ed by my CPU or not. I have to mention that I am running on a 49" Samsung 144 monitor. I started thinking about the bottleneck issue when I noticed that I can't run many games at full 144 on the highest graphics like, Call of duty MWF, Red Dead II, and even Apex sometimes drops FPS, I normally get between 90-120 FPS on these games.

Here are my Specs:

Thanks for the Help!

Yes.

My stock i7 8700k did it but my i7 8086k at 5ghz doesn't except when I overclock the 2080 ti FTW3 Ulta and that bottleneck is at 1080p.

So my EVGA XC does not bottleneck but my FTW3 Ultra does. They both use the same CPU, motherboard and ram.  

The difference in the cards is that the FTW3 Ultra runs between 2040mhz and 2070mhz with a 24/7 overclock and the XC runs between 1890mhz and 1985mhz.  

To test your rig use GPU-Z. 

Under advanced select Nvidia Bios. Under "Power Limit" you will see the maximum watts used. For my XC it is 338 watts and for my FTW3 Ultra it is 373 watts. Yours will be more or less depending on the model. The max limit is if you have the power limit turned all the way up on your card. If not use the "Default" number. 

Now click on sensors. Double click on "Power Consumption W" or use the down arrow to set it to "Show Highest Reading" then play your games and if you are not close to the power limit set on the card you are probably bottlenecking.  

Another way is to use MSI Afterburner and look at the "Power %" graph after a gaming session. If you set your cards power limit to 100% and you are only using 77% you are bottlenecked.  Basically your GPU will use less power if it is waiting for the CPU.

Some games don't use all the GPU but that is rare nowadays. 

19 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Just check CPU usage. Open up task manager and fire up a game. Play for a bit and then ALT+TAB away from the game and look at task manager. if the CPU is at 100% (or near) and the GPU is nowhere close to 100%, then yes it's a bottleneck. Otherwise no.

In general, 8700K is still a great CPU and shouldn't bottleneck.

The problem with task manager is that if you set the power limit on your card to 100% and run a bench the task manager will say 100%. Then if you change the card to run at 130% task manager will still say 100% and if you bring the card back to 100% on the power limit it will still say 100%

Bottlenecks on 2080 tis are usually when the card has a maxed out power limit and you are only getting about 109% out of 130% so it won't show up at all in task manager.    

I just ran some tests and in some scenarios it went the way I said but in others it did not.  

If I change settings while task manager is open it won't reflect them but if you switch it off and change a setting and then switch it back on again it will show an accurate reading. 

It confirmed that I will not be using task manager for GPU usage but if you are not in an overclocking session it can give an accurate reading.

Edited by jones177
Ran some tests.

RIG#1 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: Corsair CORSAIR AX860W | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB | Monitor: LG 38" 3840 x 1600 75hz

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti XC | PSU: Corsair RMx1000W | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV  

Rig#3 CPU: Intel i7 6700k | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-Pro | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti | PSU: Corsair 650 | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Intel | HDD: WD Black 5TB | Monitor: LG 32" 4k 60hz 

4 hours ago, jones177 said:

Yes.

My stock i7 8700k did it but my i7 8086k at 5ghz doesn't except when I overclock the 2080 ti FTW3 Ulta and that bottleneck is at 1080p.

So my EVGA XC does not bottleneck but my FTW3 Ultra does. They both use the same CPU, motherboard and ram.  

The difference in the cards is that the FTW3 Ultra runs between 2040mhz and 2070mhz with a 24/7 overclock and the XC runs between 1890mhz and 1985mhz.  

To test your rig use GPU-Z. 

Under advanced select Nvidia Bios. Under "Power Limit" you will see the maximum watts used. For my XC it is 338 watts and for my FTW3 Ultra it is 373 watts. Yours will be more or less depending on the model. The max limit is if you have the power limit turned all the way up on your card. If not use the "Default" number. 

Now click on sensors. Double click on "Power Consumption W" or use the down arrow to set it to "Show Highest Reading" then play your games and if you are not close to the power limit set on the card you are probably bottlenecking.  

Another way is to use MSI Afterburner and look at the "Power %" graph after a gaming session. If you set your cards power limit to 100% and you are only using 77% you are bottlenecked.  Basically your GPU will use less power if it is waiting for the CPU.

Some games don't use all the GPU but that is rare nowadays. 

The problem with task manager is that if you set the power limit on your card to 100% and run a bench the task manager will say 100%. Then if you change the card to run at 130% task manager will still say 100% and if you bring the card back to 100% on the power limit it will still say 100%

Bottlenecks on 2080 tis are usually when the card has a maxed out power limit and you are only getting about 109% out of 130% so it won't show up at all in task manager.    

I just ran some tests and in some scenarios it went the way I said but in others it did not.  

If I change settings while task manager is open it won't reflect them but if you switch it off and change a setting and then switch it back on again it will show an accurate reading. 

It confirmed that I will not be using task manager for GPU usage but if you are not in an overclocking session it can give an accurate reading.

True.

If you are overclocking, use your overclocking software for monitoring. (I prefer MSI Afterburner, but to each their own)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 512GB SSD - 16GB DDR4 - I lost my pen so I convince myself I don't need it

"Sometimes I just buy computer hardware with no practical use for it, maybe I'm weird"

-Galileo Galilei, 1604

23 hours ago, zazo06 said:

Here are my Specs:

Thanks for the Help!

Easy way to test, run task manager in the background and it will show the utilization of everything so you can see if it is (will be around 100% utilization for the device)

Scarlett has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!