Sustainable subzero overclocking

I have an idea for constant subzero overclock. As we all know the biggest problem with going sub is the buildup of moisture. Why not just remove the air and water out of the equation by submerging the system in a non-conductive liquid. With this the temp can be dropped far below zero and maintained. What are yalls thoughts?  

Hello and welcome.

I think the condensation problem may still persist.  I'd guess the fluid will eventually mix with water and you'd find yourself unaware to what degree that has happened.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

freezing tempurature of mineral oil is -4c (24 freedom units)

you would have issues trying to maintain sub zero in this condition

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

10 minutes ago, FratChad said:

I have an idea for constant subzero overclock. As we all know the biggest problem with going sub is the buildup of moisture. Why not just remove the air and water out of the equation by submerging the system in a non-conductive liquid. With this the temp can be dropped far below zero and maintained. What are yalls thoughts?  

Is this fluid going to have a freezing point lower or higher than whatever temp your pulling the system down to? If its higher... your going to get frozen liquid, conductive or not, that will damage lots of stuff since it will start to expand as it freezes.

If this is somehow not the case and the fluid froze far bellow the temp your trying to achieve, yes, your condensation issue would likely be solved. But I guess the question is, "but why"? You will only get real OC gains if you can pull the chip down A LOT, and that won't be possible with anything short of LN2. Sure, a -10c CPU will OC better, but not at all enough to make this all worth it. As a thought experiment, not bad tho. I think your main issue would be the freezing issue. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Is this fluid going to have a freezing point lower or higher than whatever temp your pulling the system down to? If its higher... your going to get frozen liquid, conductive or not, that will damage lots of stuff since it will start to expand as it freezes.

If this is somehow not the case and the fluid froze far bellow the temp your trying to achieve, yes, your condensation issue would likely be solved. But I guess the question is, "but why"? You will only get real OC gains if you can pull the chip down A LOT, and that won't be possible with anything short of LN2. Sure, a -10c CPU will OC better, but not at all enough to make this all worth it. As a thought experiment, not bad tho. I think your main issue would be the freezing issue. 

Couldn’t you just increase the salinity of the coolant, or use concentrated automotive coolant at the mix ratio required to not freeze at a given temp?

Actually, there’s a thought. As Salt adds to the physical and thermal density of water, would salt water cool better than distilled water, all else being equal?

3 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

True, you have a point. I guess it would be an experiment build just for the fun of it. 

2 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Couldn’t you just increase the salinity of the coolant, or use concentrated automotive coolant at the mix ratio required to not freeze at a given temp?

Actually, there’s a thought. As Salt adds to the physical and thermal density of water, would salt water cool better than distilled water, all else being equal?

If you really wanted to go wild with it you could use mercury as a coolant since the freezing temp is well below -30°C

14 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

freezing tempurature of mineral oil is -4c (24 freedom units)

you would have issues trying to maintain sub zero in this condition

I think that if one was able to fill all opening on the board with a sort of anti conductive wax then the freezing issue wouldnt be much of a problem since once its frozen nothing can be mixed into it moisture wise 

9 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

I am pretty sure adding salt would make it instantly conductive, and I assume, may be wrong, but isn't antifreeze also conductive..? 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

I am pretty sure adding salt would make it instantly conductive, and I assume, may be wrong, but isn't antifreeze also conductive..? 

Both are true. But conductivity is only an issue if you have a leak. Besides, conductive or not, chances are your components are ruined if your loop does spring a leak. My biggest concern suggesting either was if they would cause unusual corrosion?

14 minutes ago, FratChad said:

If you really wanted to go wild with it you could use mercury as a coolant since the freezing temp is well below -30°C

Mercury doesn’t have the same thermal exchange properties as water. Specific heat per gram is significantly lower. Even with the much higher density, it would still need to be far colder than water to provide an equivalent cooling effect.

5 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Both are true. But conductivity is only an issue if you have a leak. Besides, conductive or not, chances are your components are ruined if your loop does spring a leak. My biggest concern suggesting either was if they would cause unusual corrosion?

With the salt it would definitely cause unusually fast corrosion to any metal components. 

Good point. I did not think of that. 

15 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Metal will go real fast, but the idea here was dunk the entire system in a fluid that wasn't conductive... And if that fluid froze, it would expand and start expanding under the components etc and pop them off. 

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Metal will go real fast, but the idea here was dunk the entire system in a fluid that wasn't conductive... And if that fluid froze, it would expand and start expanding under the components etc and pop them off. 

Oh shit. I thought the discussion was for a decent sub-zero coolant whilst the system was submerged in a separate fluid to prevent condensation. My bad.

Having been educated, I have a different concern. How would you circulate this fluid effectively? Even using pumps with hoses pointed right at the components requiring active cooling, it still wouldn’t be as efficient as a self-contained, pressurized fluid loop.

9 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Oh shit. I thought the discussion was for a decent sub-zero coolant whilst the system was submerged in a separate fluid to prevent condensation. My bad.

Having been educated, I have a different concern. How would you circulate this fluid effectively? Even using pumps with hoses pointed right at the components requiring active cooling, it still wouldn’t be as efficient as a self-contained, pressurized fluid loop.

That... is the idea. lol.

I am saying the fluid its submerged in needs to not freeze which is the issue. My argument here is if the fluid the PC is submerged in starts to freeze, yes, no condensation issues, but big time expansion issues. The fluid the PC is submerged in will be all around it, in ever nook and cranny, which includes between surface mount components, in the mobo holes, etc etc. As that starts to freeze, it could easily start pushing parts off the mobo, expanding the PCIe slots etc. That is my concern here. And you can't add salt to it as that will make it conductive.

the only solution is to use a liquid that has it freezing point well below your working temperatures.

1 hour ago, FratChad said:

This was a way that it was done.

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

12 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

That... is the idea. lol.

I am saying the fluid its submerged in needs to not freeze which is the issue. My argument here is if the fluid the PC is submerged in starts to freeze, yes, no condensation issues, but big time expansion issues. The fluid the PC is submerged in will be all around it, in ever nook and cranny, which includes between surface mount components, in the mobo holes, etc etc. As that starts to freeze, it could easily start pushing parts off the mobo, expanding the PCIe slots etc. That is my concern here. And you can't add salt to it as that will make it conductive.

In that case, I still think you’d be fine to use a pump/impeller to generally circulate the suspension fluid, even if the cooling system components are a little bit below the freezing point of the suspension fluid. Just because the CPU is at a certain temp doesn’t mean components near it will be, nor will  the fluid drop below it’s  freezing point, migrate under your Mosfets, and then decide to freeze.

Hell, depending on how the OP plans to chill his coolant, he could use some of the excess heat “generated” by that process to heat the suspension fluid. Obviously there would be trade-offs with this idea. But a stable state could be achieved where your coolant is colder than the freezing point of your suspension fluid, but the suspension fluid still doesn’t freeze.

Easy, just freeze the whole system over. Moisture conducts electricity, ice doesn't.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Easy, just freeze the whole system over. Moisture conducts electricity, ice doesn't.

If nothing else, the MOSFETs would thaw the ice locally. Then you’re fucked.

What about Alcohol?

3 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

What about Alcohol?

use vodka

3 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

if that happens, you didnt give mosfets (more like powerstages, plz dont do this with cheaper boards) enough cooling

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

19 minutes ago, Danioki said:

use vodka

I’m sure you meant that as a joke, but no. Talking filling the case full of Isopropyl Alcohol.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:24 PM, Jurrunio said:

if that happens, you didnt give mosfets (more like powerstages, plz dont do this with cheaper boards) enough cooling

You’d get sufficient cooling with the stock mobo heatsinks if you use a circulated fluid. It’s impossible to liquid cool every component that produces heat conventionally. 

Your ice would have to be pretty damn cold for there to be no melt in contact with one of these uncooled heat-producing components/areas.