Motherboard has a 8+4pin but psu only has 8pin cpu power connector

Hello

Might be a stupid question but i recently upgraded my pc with a aorus z390 motherboard and a i9-9900k and the mobo has a 8+4pin but my psu only has a 8pin. I have the cpu on turbo clocked but have not done any overclocking, however sometimes when i go to boot it just doesn't, fans spin but no lighting comes on and it does not display anything was wondering if i needed the extra 4 pin and how i would do it?

Just now, PaddehT said:

Hello

Might be a stupid question but i recently upgraded my pc with a aorus z390 motherboard and a i9-9900k and the mobo has a 8+4pin but my psu only has a 8pin. I have the cpu on turbo clocked but have not done any overclocking, however sometimes when i go to boot it just doesn't, fans spin but no lighting comes on and it does not display anything was wondering if i needed the extra 4 pin and how i would do it?

8 Pin already does 384W, the 4 pin does extra 150W. That extra 150W is not needed at all, unless you're doing some very heavy overclocking.

The 9900K under a multicore load uses like up to 200-250W, if my memory serves me right

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 hours ago, minibois said:

8 Pin already does 384W, the 4 pin does extra 150W. That extra 150W is not needed at all, unless you're doing some very heavy overclocking.

The 9900K under a multicore load uses like up to 200-250W, if my memory serves me right

okay thank you vry much that puts my mind at ease that im not killing my cpu, any ideas as to why sometimes it boots and sometimes it just spins the fans?

25 minutes ago, PaddehT said:

okay thank you vry much that puts my mind at ease that im not killing my cpu, any ideas as to why sometimes it boots and sometimes it just spins the fans?

Do you have XMP turned on?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, minibois said:

Do you have XMP turned on?

there are 3 options, disabled, profile 1 and profile 2 which one is best to select? 

3 hours ago, PaddehT said:

there are 3 options, disabled, profile 1 and profile 2 which one is best to select? 

I believe profile 2 is typically the XMP profile in most bios but you can always refer to your motherboard. If one of those profiles is selected you may want to try and disable. Also, what is your PSU?

Gaming/Editing PC

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-E CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K Cooler: EVGA CLC 240 GPU: Asus Dual Edition RTX 2070 Super OC RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 3000 MHz PSU: Corsair HX650 Case: Fractal Design Meshify-C White

On 3/9/2020 at 6:02 PM, thebagsman said:

I believe profile 2 is typically the XMP profile in most bios but you can always refer to your motherboard. If one of those profiles is selected you may want to try and disable. Also, what is your PSU?

ive had it on profile 1 and it is doing it so ill try profile 2 and see what happens. the psu i have is a thermaltake smart rgb 700w

37 minutes ago, PaddehT said:

ive had it on profile 1 and it is doing it so ill try profile 2 and see what happens. the psu i have is a thermaltake smart rgb 700w

If profile 2 doesn't work then I would disable. Also next time it doesn't post see if you can find an error code or light on your mobo.

Gaming/Editing PC

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-E CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K Cooler: EVGA CLC 240 GPU: Asus Dual Edition RTX 2070 Super OC RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 3000 MHz PSU: Corsair HX650 Case: Fractal Design Meshify-C White

1 hour ago, thebagsman said:

If profile 2 doesn't work then I would disable. Also next time it doesn't post see if you can find an error code or light on your mobo.

My motherboard doesn't have a thing to show error codes but i do get a little red light in the bottom right of the motherboard when it happens. ive put it on profile two ill see if it continues. 

4 minutes ago, PaddehT said:

My motherboard doesn't have a thing to show error codes but i do get a little red light in the bottom right of the motherboard when it happens. ive put it on profile two ill see if it continues. 

Your manual should say what that light means. Hopefully.

Gaming/Editing PC

Ive had it on xmp profile 2 for couple days now and it seems to be all fine thanks for all the help