Slightly kinked laptop heatpipe

djdelarosa25

Didn't know how soft copper heatpipes are. I was in the process of repasting my laptop and while cleaning the old paste off the copper heatsink, I accidentally bent the heatpipe (only lightly, though). I bent it back and now it has a small kink. Temps seem to be the same as before, if not only a few degrees Celsius lower. Will this be bad in the long run?

No, heat pipes transfer heat, as long as the pipe itself is intact and thermally conductive it will work just fine. Even if you folded it into a pretzel, it would still transfer heat.

I wouldn't even be worried if your heat pipes were a vapor chamber. Small kinks should not cause copper to fail, you're fine.

1 minute ago, djdelarosa25 said:

Didn't know how soft copper heatpipes are. I was in the process of repasting my laptop and while cleaning the old paste off the copper heatsink. I accidentally bent the heatpipe (only lightly, though). I bent it back and now it has a small kink. Temps seem to be the same as before, if not only a few degrees Celsius lower. Will this be bad in the long run?

If you stress tested it and the temps are still fine, I don't think there will be a problem. I don't see how the problem would worsen in the long run, unless it gets kinked more. 

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

unless it gets kinked more. 

As long as it doesn't break, I don't think it'll be a problem at all. Even if you straight up bent it in half - copper still intact, heat still transfers.

If you're looking to actually bend your heatpipes in half in the future, don't. But a kink? It's harmless, only cosmetic.

13 minutes ago, LoganDark said:

As long as it doesn't break, I don't think it'll be a problem at all. Even if you straight up bent it in half - copper still intact, heat still transfers.

I'm not sure that you know how a heatpipe works... They aren't just solid or hollow pipes of copper, but they are filled with a vapor that moves up and back down the heatpipe. If a heatpipe is kinked, even if the the pipe doesn't break, the thermal performance can suffer. It depends on how bad the kink is. 

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

They aren't just solid or hollow pipes of copper, but they are filled with a vapor that moves up and back down the heatpipe

I actually included a bit about vapor chambers, you see. I said something as small as a kink isn't something to worry about, but I suppose I didn't mention what would happen if you did bend up a vapor chamber.

There are proper tools for doing this, but if you just torque it in half, yes you will absolutely ruin its thermal performance.

I suppose when you say "kink", you mean something that impacts the volume inside. That's reasonable. I think OP just means there's a visual 'crease' on the surface, which shouldn't noticeably affect anything thermally as far as I know.