Questions about the 3080 ti...

ViciousViper175

I was originally going to buy an rx 5700, then i realized im not cheap so i decided i was going to get an rx 5700 xt, then i realized rtx is pretty cool so why not get a 2070 super, but then i was like "ya know what, screw it.  I'll buy a 2080 ti."  When i realized the 3080 ti is coming soon i decided to scrap all my previous plans, wait til june, and get a free rx 570 from a friend in the meantime.

So will a 2700x and 2 x 16 ddr4 3600 cl18 ram run the latest and greatest games at 1440p ultra 144 fps?  And if that's a yes, how about with ray tracing?

2 minutes ago, ViciousViper175 said:

how about with ray tracing?

no

2 minutes ago, ViciousViper175 said:

So will a 2700x and 2 x 16 ddr4 3600 cl18 ram run the latest and greatest games at 1440p ultra 144 fps?

it should for at least a bit.

but with windows and games and driver left to their own devices and unchecked it won't stay that way but it'll be a fun first month or two.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

no

it should for at least a bit.

but with windows and games and driver left to their own devices and unchecked it won't stay that way but it'll be a fun first month or two.

wdym left to their own devices and unchecked

i am willing to upgrade to a 3900x if need be (or better yet a 4900x).

Just now, ViciousViper175 said:

wdym left to their own devices and unchecked

just letting them update on a whim and change the machines configuration constantly.

inconsistent software = inconsistent performance

specially with an os that beta tests with the general public. if the machine were isolated the performance would be constant but most people aren't really capable of doing that

Im not sure i get what you mean by software inconsistencies.  Do you mean new drivers?  Updates to windows? Updates in general?  And how would this affect m y gaming experience whatsoever?

if you can wait then wait but don't wait too long because there is a better than average chance that the june "release" is just the announcement that they are going to be making those GPUs and it will probably still be a few months to a year before they hit the shelves. and a lot of people have been having issues with the AMD 5700 series GPUs since their release where AMD is coming out with an updated patch about once a week as far as I can tell. the latest one is 20.2.2

18 minutes ago, ViciousViper175 said:

Do you mean new drivers?  Updates to windows? Updates in general?  And how would this affect m y gaming experience whatsoever?

yeah pretty much.

Pretty simple really , not every software/driver update has to do with issues your specific system has and can sometimes result in performance loss rather than gain. If you were aiming for consistency , you would have the machine isolated. But again I'm assuming you aren't going to do that.

So in terms of performance just expect it won't stay the same very long and you'll be fine. After windows released that update that randomly formatted all external drives on accident I've learned to never expect any sort of consistency from a non isolated machine.