Trying out a Windows knock-off

nicklmg

Wow, I remember having tried ReactOS like 15 or 20 years ago and it seems it hasn't progressed almost at all since then! ? That's definitely an accomplishment of sorts!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If we removed Anthony, this video would remind me of a Druaga1 video, but with a tweaker as the host instead of a stoner.

I love it.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

why doesnt the reactOS team help out with linux. share their code. Wouldnt that eventually lead to linux being able to run exe and windows stuff? could there be a chance that somebody could create a linux kernel based windows computer?

3 minutes ago, Saksham said:

why doesnt the reactOS team help out with linux. share their code. Wouldnt that eventually lead to linux being able to run exe and windows stuff? could there be a chance that somebody could create a linux kernel based windows computer?

If you research into ReactOS on Wikipedia, you'll see that they do work closely with the WINE foundation for things like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS#Development

Also, there's already a good discussion thread linked in the description of the video - might be better to continue this discussion over there to keep everything in one place. :)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

ReactOS and Linux are fundamentally different operating systems. Linus Torvalds and company probably have next to no interest in bloating up their kernel to natively support Windows.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

15 minutes ago, Saksham said:

... a linux kernel based windows computer?

Please explain.

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

Please explain.

a computer running windows os with all the windows exe and dll files and whatever but has the linux kernel under the hood so that its more secure, runs faster and is open source. 

4 minutes ago, Saksham said:

a computer running windows os with all the windows exe and dll files and whatever but has the linux kernel under the hood so that its more secure, runs faster and is open source. 

Pretty much like ReactOS but going hybride on the Linux-kernel instead? You would need at least an extra layer between the kernel and the .exe, .dll and so on in order to be able to use them - and even then it probably wouldn't work without issues.

If I want it secure and open source why not simply use the BSD or Linux-environment?

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

If I want it secure and open source why not simply use the BSD or Linux-environment?

I was just being theoretical. I wanted to know if it could happen. 

If you need to run Windows EXE's on Linux you either try with WINE or you run a Windows VM over Linux which is what I do for my Aunt who needs a couple Windows specific softwares for remote teaching but otherwise does NOT want to use Windows because tin-foil hat.

42 minutes ago, Saksham said:

why doesnt the reactOS team help out with linux. share their code. Wouldnt that eventually lead to linux being able to run exe and windows stuff?

They do, Wine has taken a lot from ReactOS and vice versa.

25 minutes ago, Saksham said:

That's not how this works. The Windows kernel isn't a separate entity in the same way the Linux kernel is separate from the rest of the distribution. You can't just replace it with Linux and have it work in the same way.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@Saksham

Thread merged, when talking about a video, please do so in the thread of said video, there's no need for separate threads.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

They do, Wine has taken a lot from ReactOS

Credit where's it's due: Anthony says this in the video, at the very end. 

If anyone of you ever wants to try this on real hardware get a Dell Latitude D531. Pretty much everything works like it should. According to my knowledge the devs of this os use those machines so at the moment it's the best option if you wanna true hardware based experience.