Best way to completely wipe a PC with a virus?

TheBahrbarian

So I recently got a call from my parents that they seem to have somehow gotten a nasty virus on their home PC. This is a PC I built for them years ago, and is basically just an email/web browsing computer. I don't know exactly how they got it or what it is (at first glace from what they told me it sounded like some kind of ransomware). But basically they don't store anything important on this PC, and I was able to just copy over a few pictures folders they had onto a DVD to let them keep as a backup. The PC is running Windows 7 so I want to upgrade them to Windows 10 anyway, so I think the best thing to do here is to completely wipe the system clean and start from scratch so I don't have to worry about and lingering viruses. My question is, what's the best way to do that? I basically just want to remove everything, then I will install Windows 10 and have them back up and running. Is there a windows utility I should use, or is there something I can use for a more complete wipe. 

Thanks for any help.

Oh ok perfect, I wasn't sure if there was anything additional needed to ensure the drive was completely cleaned. I am pretty sure I have a USB drive lying around somewhere with a Windows 10 installer so I'll find that and just use that.

6 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Use linux, run windows inside virtual machine, faster than re-installing :D

Never used linux and I have no clue how haha. It's definitely on my bucket list of things to learn however. Maybe after I build a NAS for pictures and document backup storage since my parents do love to click on sketchy email links.