30 Second Delay - Network Connection

PenguinMaster

I have a Dell PowerEdge r210 II ~ PfSense router, a Dell PowerConnect 5548, and 2x TP-Link EAP-225 v2's as my home network setup. When connecting directly to the switch through a Cat5e Ethernet cable; after turning on a computer from "Shutdown" or "Sleep" mode, it takes about 30 seconds for the network connection to be re-established. For Wireless devices its almost instant because I figure the Access Points already have established a connection to the switch, so the device being connected doesn't need to fight for a link speed to the switch? I'm a senior in high school, so i'm just starting to fiddle with enterprise gear. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

7 hours ago, Chickenfans said:

I have a Dell PowerEdge r210 II ~ PfSense router, a Dell PowerConnect 5548, and 2x TP-Link EAP-225 v2's as my home network setup. When connecting directly to the switch through a Cat5e Ethernet cable; after turning on a computer from "Shutdown" or "Sleep" mode, it takes about 30 seconds for the network connection to be re-established. For Wireless devices its almost instant because I figure the Access Points already have established a connection to the switch, so the device being connected doesn't need to fight for a link speed to the switch? I'm a senior in high school, so i'm just starting to fiddle with enterprise gear. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?

The 30 second delay is probably because of spanning tree protocol. If you only have one switch in your network, you can turn it off and see if it improves the time.

11 hours ago, The_russian said:

The 30 second delay is probably because of spanning tree protocol. If you only have one switch in your network, you can turn it off and see if it improves the time.

Yep that was it, thanks!

4 hours ago, Chickenfans said:

Yep that was it, thanks!

No problem, if you are planning to get more into networking I would look into what STP is and when you would need to turn it back on. If you ever have a problem in the future where your network doesn't work at all, keep in mind that you turned off STP.

11 hours ago, The_russian said:

No problem, if you are planning to get more into networking I would look into what STP is and when you would need to turn it back on. If you ever have a problem in the future where your network doesn't work at all, keep in mind that you turned off STP.

By any chance do you know how to update the BIOS on a Dell PowerEdge r210 II?

10 hours ago, Chickenfans said:

By any chance do you know how to update the BIOS on a Dell PowerEdge r210 II?

I do not, but here's a link to the BIOS page:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=gx98t

towards the bottom there is an installation instructions section.

You may get more help of you create a separate topic under the Servers and NAS subforum.