Which graphics card for around CAD$500?

Krosis
Go to solution Solved by Gohardgrandpa,
6 hours ago, Krosis said:

Hello everyone!

I am finally buying a new graphics card next month for around CAD$500. I want to stick with AMD (I currently have the RX 580), but have heard of recurring driver issues that people have faced with the RX5700/XT.

Do you guys think I should go with the 5700, get nVidia (probably 2070), or just wait until later this year for new releases?

I had a xfx rx5700 a month ago that gave me nothing but driver issues. I returned it and amd released the last driver I think it’s 20.2.2 that said to fix a lot of these issues the day after I returned the 5700. 

I bought a sapphire rx5700xt and got it this Monday. I haven’t had a single issue with this card. I’ve played fallout 4 and 76, Siege, Pub g, apex legends, battlefield 4, fishing planet and escape from tarkov. If I had to guess I’d say I’ve done about 20 hours of actual gaming on it. 

Not one single crash, system hang or black screen. I know I’m only one person providing results here so take it with a grain of salt if you want, just telling you my experience with that card and driver version. 

Hello everyone!

I am finally buying a new graphics card next month for around CAD$500. I want to stick with AMD (I currently have the RX 580), but have heard of recurring driver issues that people have faced with the RX5700/XT.

Do you guys think I should go with the 5700, get nVidia (probably 2070), or just wait until later this year for new releases?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

drivers issue will be solved sooner or later.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 hours ago, Krosis said:

Hello everyone!

Idk about you but for me i would go the 2070 as the nivida drivers are easy to use and dont have as many issues that ik. But with the rx 5700 the drivers are messy, the menu thing is complicated and not a fan of blower style coolers (ik not all of them are blower coolers but some of the cheaper ones or more trusting brands are)

I live in the land down under and not afraid of a kangaroo

Gold rainbow six player going to yeet on ur bitch 

Spoiler

Intel pentium g4560 

msi z170m mortor 

12gb ddr4 2400mhz (oc to 2666mhz)

1tb hard drive

gtx 750 ti 

some game max psu 500w 80+ 

6 hours ago, Krosis said:

Hello everyone!

I had a xfx rx5700 a month ago that gave me nothing but driver issues. I returned it and amd released the last driver I think it’s 20.2.2 that said to fix a lot of these issues the day after I returned the 5700. 

I bought a sapphire rx5700xt and got it this Monday. I haven’t had a single issue with this card. I’ve played fallout 4 and 76, Siege, Pub g, apex legends, battlefield 4, fishing planet and escape from tarkov. If I had to guess I’d say I’ve done about 20 hours of actual gaming on it. 

Not one single crash, system hang or black screen. I know I’m only one person providing results here so take it with a grain of salt if you want, just telling you my experience with that card and driver version. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

11 hours ago, Krosis said:

Hello everyone!

I'd go with the 5700 XT... The vast majority of the driver issues are fixed, and the drivers are not as hard to use as Nvidia purists claim. (plus they include a lot of controls you can't even get from Nvidia, all built into the drivers)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

11 hours ago, Krosis said:

Hello everyone!

Just wait until later this year. I expect Nvidia to come out with 3000 series, and AMD with their "big Navi" 5900 XT or something like that.

The GPU's that are out now are getting long in the tooth, and your RX580 should be good enough to hold you over until the new cards. You will see a bigger performance uplift with the new cards versus upgrading now.

400CAD is apparently a shit gpu I was told by mr. ULTRA EXTREME 480p 1hz.

I'm sure 500 CAd is fine though.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

8 hours ago, LOST TALE said:

400CAD is apparently a shit gpu I was told by mr. ULTRA EXTREME 480p 1hz.

I'm sure 500 CAd is fine though.

What..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

10 hours ago, maartendc said:

Just wait until later this year. I expect Nvidia to come out with 3000 series, and AMD with their "big Navi" 5900 XT or something like that.

The GPU's that are out now are getting long in the tooth, and your RX580 should be good enough to hold you over until the new cards. You will see a bigger performance uplift with the new cards versus upgrading now.

I would probably not upgrade to the "big Navi" or the 3000 series as they will probably be out of my price range! I will probably just go ahead with either the 5700 or the XT depending on the sales.

11 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

I'd go with the 5700 XT... The vast majority of the driver issues are fixed, and the drivers are not as hard to use as Nvidia purists claim. (plus they include a lot of controls you can't even get from Nvidia, all built into the drivers)

I already have an AMD GPU, so I am used to using the drivers. That's not an issue for me. I was just wondering if AMD is actually working towards solving the issues, which it seems like they are. Thank you!

15 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Good to know! I was thinking of going with the Sapphire anyway, so it's good to hear a positive review on it. Thank you!

27 minutes ago, Krosis said:

Good to know! I was thinking of going with the Sapphire anyway, so it's good to hear a positive review on it. Thank you!

I’m very happy with the card, it’s been solid so far. Temps are good and performance has been great

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 3/6/2020 at 8:28 PM, Krosis said:

I would probably not upgrade to the "big Navi" or the 3000 series as they will probably be out of my price range! I will probably just go ahead with either the 5700 or the XT depending on the sales.

That is nonsense. The 3000 series will have a range of cards, from low-end to high end. If you can afford a 2070, you will be able to afford a 3070 or whatever they call it. And probably the 3060 will have the same performance as the 2070 now, so you will get MORE performance for LESS money.

And if anything, prices for current cards will drop, so you can either pick up a cheaper 2070 by then new or even used.

So I stand by my statement, don't buy now. Just wait. Unless you cannot wait and got money burning a hole in your pocket, which it sounds like you have.