router vs modem

Guest Brunozipt
Go to solution Solved by JohnnyGrey,

A router makes your internet Wireless (wifi)

Just to clarify, not every router has wireless. To keep it simpler, a router assigns IP addresses and directs traffic to more than one device.

You can use the modem directly with a PC, but in order to have multiple devices connect, you'd need a router right after the modem.

Figured I'd edit this: Some ISP's give you a "Gateway," which is the modem, router, ethernet switch, and wifi access point all in one box. Our AT&T service has this, and the home phone also comes out of it too.

what's the diference?

Spelling

jk

#troll

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

A modem is used to connect the line from your Isp (Coaxial or DSL) to your PC or router.

A router makes your internet Wireless (wifi) so that more than one device can be connected to it at the same time. That way more than one person can be using the Internet at the same time.

You need both a Modem and a router in order for that to work.

If you only have a router you will not be able to use the internet and if you only have a modem then only one device can use the internet at the same time.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

A router makes your internet Wireless (wifi)

Just to clarify, not every router has wireless. To keep it simpler, a router assigns IP addresses and directs traffic to more than one device.

You can use the modem directly with a PC, but in order to have multiple devices connect, you'd need a router right after the modem.

Figured I'd edit this: Some ISP's give you a "Gateway," which is the modem, router, ethernet switch, and wifi access point all in one box. Our AT&T service has this, and the home phone also comes out of it too.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

i know that if you live in the past and you still have adsl or what name that old internet has,you need a modem.then a router to give the internet to pc`s. for fibre you don`t need nothing but if you want to share the internet you need a router 

Yes you are correct thank you for that. ^_^

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

A modem is used to connect the line from your Isp (Coaxial or DSL) to your PC or router.

A router makes your internet Wireless (wifi) so that more than one device can be connected to it at the same time. That way more than one person can be using the Internet at the same time.

You need both a Modem and a router in order for that to work.

If you only have a router you will not be able to use the internet and if you only have a modem then only one device can use the internet at the same time.

A router also has a built in firewall which helps with protection.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

If you only have a router you will not be able to use the internet

that is true only for those old internetz,coaxial and dsl adsl or what other names its has. 

that is true only for those old internetz,coaxial and dsl adsl or what other names its has. 

Yeah, I believe for fiber it doesn't matter. Is that correct?

Spoiler

-

Real men use phone lines instead of Cat5/6 cables!

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Yeah, I believe for fiber it doesn't matter. Is that correct?

yep you plug the cable straight in the network adapter . you need the user and pass from isp. or plug it in the router and set up the connection in it

Modem basically translates analog signal to digital. Router is a device that redirects digital data. DSL modem is combination of modem and router. So modem is not always just modem.

Modem basically translates analog signal to digital.

This is technically correct, but the term was carried on with modern digital technologies of today's internet. It is indeed an incorrect term, but it is used even by professionals.

Cable, DSL, Fibers, are all digital and the signal stays in digital form all the way to the destination, yet we call those devices modems.

Same for routers. They are supposed to be called NAT's (Network Address Translation), as routers actually routs the packets to the correct destination (to other routers, unless one of them has the destination server or client)

This is technically correct, but the term was carried on with modern digital technologies of today's internet. It is indeed an incorrect term, but it is used even by professionals.

Cable, DSL, Fibers, are all digital and the signal stays in digital form all the way to the destination, yet we call those devices modems.

Same for routers. They are supposed to be called NAT's (Network Address Translation), as routers actually routs the packets to the correct destination (to other routers, unless one of them has the destination server or client)

I'm quite sure cable and DSL is not digital.

i only have 1 that connects everything- internet cord thingy from the wall, pc, brothers xbox and wireless :D

I'm quite sure cable and DSL is not digital.

That depends on the type of DSL. Older DSL wasn't digital, but the newer DSL is, like AT&T's U-Verse.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
  • W11Pro

Media Server

• Unraid 6.9.2
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

That depends on the type of DSL. Older DSL wasn't digital, but the newer DSL is, like AT&T's U-Verse.

Doh, shame on me, guess what the D stands for in DSL. So only the phone/fax stuff is analog there.

Doh, shame on me, guess what the D stands for in DSL. So only the phone/fax stuff is analog there.

Apparently I was wrong too, all DSL was digital, but the newer stuff is different than the older stuff :P

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
  • W11Pro

Media Server

• Unraid 6.9.2
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti