damaged ryzen 3950 IHS

buddy of mine has a 3950 with damage on the IHS. trying to figure out how to handle it. only ideas we have is try a rockit cool copper IHS even though they are meant for intel or buy a cheap AM3/AM4 dual core CPU and harvest the IHS. what do you guys think?

What kind of damage are we talking about? A scratch? A ding? A giant chunk missing? A smoldering crator?

A little damage isn't going to hurt anything. Also, the IHS is soldered on all Ryzen family processors. So, getting the IHS off is going to require a lot of heat and special handling. 

You cannot mix and match IHSs either. They are going to be made for a certain series of chip. The silicon from and intel to an AMD system is going to be different heights as well. So not a drop in replacement. Plus, they are not the same height or size so coolers are going to have an issue. 

Providing pictures would go a long way in this matter. If it is a scratch and you can catch your fingernail on it, that isn't going to cause issues. A small dent won't matter either. Even if the surface is a little pitted it won't be an issue. Maybe a little loss of thermal transfer service, but thermal paste is there to assist with that. 

Have you tried just putting the chip in, putting a cooler on it and seeing if it runs normally? If it does, don't worry about it and move on. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

deep scratches, to the point it's more like a gouge. kinda looks like somebody went at it with an ice pick. i will ask for some pics next time i see him. i know the soldered IHS is going to be a pain to get off but i've seen nexus and debaur get the job done. i figured the copper IHS would be a long shot but was hopeful a cheap AMD dual core IHS would work. the height difference can be worked around by sanding down the IHS. debaur had to do that cause liquid metal doesn't occupy as much space as the solder and the IHS wasn't making good contact on the cpu.

Lap it?

20 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

deep scratches, to the point it's more like a gouge. kinda looks like somebody went at it with an ice pick. i will ask for some pics next time i see him. i know the soldered IHS is going to be a pain to get off but i've seen nexus and debaur get the job done. i figured the copper IHS would be a long shot but was hopeful a cheap AMD dual core IHS would work. the height difference can be worked around by sanding down the IHS. debaur had to do that cause liquid metal doesn't occupy as much space as the solder and the IHS wasn't making good contact on the cpu.

19 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

For someone to be able to create such deep scratches that would actually hinder performance means you've probably fucked up the die or the pins, difficult to recommend anything without seeing what's going on, de-soldering an AMD CPU is a pain in the ass and risky.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

thought about lapping, but the scratches are pretty deep. don't think it's gonna work. would sand away too much of the IHS. the pins are not damaged. we know about the risk of delidding. he got the cpu for next to nothing and he is ok with the risk. not trying to talk him out of it. just trying to figure out if spending the money on another AMD cpu for the IHS is something that will work.

If you guys are in the US, I have a Ryzen 1200 IHS plate I could send out to you. Find my PM box if interested.

I would try to get some pictures first so we know what we are dealing with. Words aren't going to describe as well as a picture would. Then we can move on from there. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

i know pics would be nice but it's going to be awhile before i can get them. it's not really gonna make a difference what it looks like though cause he has already made up his mind. he is either going to sell it as is or he is going to swap the IHS. he prefers to swap the IHS cause he knows he won't get much as is but if he swaps the IHS he can make a nice profit. more than likely i will PM shrimp for the ryzen 1200 IHS but would be nice to know if it's the same size or not before we throw money at this.

2 hours ago, smoothnobody said:

thought about lapping, but the scratches are pretty deep. don't think it's gonna work. would sand away too much of the IHS. the pins are not damaged. we know about the risk of delidding. he got the cpu for next to nothing and he is ok with the risk. not trying to talk him out of it. just trying to figure out if spending the money on another AMD cpu for the IHS is something that will work.

I mean, if youre considering delidding anyway, giving lapping a go cant hurt neither the wallet or cpu, and if temps are fine, call it a day, if not, continue wirh the delidding?

SELL ME THAT TERRIBLY DAMAGED 3950X! 

How much would he be looking to get for it?  And did you mention if he has already seen if the CPU still works?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

he doesn't think lapping will salvage it. i tend to agree. maybe we can try as a last ditch effort but it sounds likes he wants to delid it. 

he doesn't like electronic payments so selling online ain't gonna happen. not sure if it works. 

16 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

he doesn't think lapping will salvage it. i tend to agree. maybe we can try as a last ditch effort but it sounds likes he wants to delid it. 

he doesn't like electronic payments so selling online ain't gonna happen. not sure if it works. 

Any chance you're in Texas?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 hours ago, smoothnobody said:

i know pics would be nice but it's going to be awhile before i can get them. it's not really gonna make a difference what it looks like though cause he has already made up his mind. he is either going to sell it as is or he is going to swap the IHS. he prefers to swap the IHS cause he knows he won't get much as is but if he swaps the IHS he can make a nice profit. more than likely i will PM shrimp for the ryzen 1200 IHS but would be nice to know if it's the same size or not before we throw money at this.

Well Ive delidded 4 Ryzen cpus. All the plates are the same. I have used the 1300 plate on the 2700x as to confirm this. 

I can also delid the chip too. However Im am uncertain my board supports the 3950x processor. I would need to post it up before and after to ensure results.

I'll check and let you know.

9 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

tampa

Tampa FL, im assuming.

Ill buy it off em, im in Bradenton.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

My board does support the 3950x. A delid would be no problem.

how much for the IHS? do you know if the AM4 and AM3 IHS are the same? there are AM3 dual cores on ebay for $5. 

he isn't gonna ship this out to somebody to delid.

tampa FL. he is unlikely to sell it for cheap cause he wants to tinker with it and make money for a working cpu. i will keep you in mind if he wants to dump it as is.

Umm nothing? I have stacks of plates. Free.

I think AM3 is similar, but not sure on the thickness, but by naked eyeball, Id say they are the same.

Its ok if he doesnt want to send it out. No skin off my back. He's saving me a few hours time that way.

Here it is. On the right.

20200304_192302.jpg

free IHS is unexpected and appreciated. would suck to buy a working cpu and trash it just so we can harvest the IHS. 

whats your method for delidding ryzen? we plan to heat with hot plate, delid with delid die mate, quicksilver to clean up solder.

Well....

I set the cpu up pins down on a flat square athlon heatsink. Then I clamp the cpu PCB in a small model vice. I clamp the PCB just tight enough to clamp vicegrips on the IHS plate. I heat for 40-50 seconds med-high flame with my soldering torch. I have done this with torch lighter as well. 

Yes 40-50 seconds is all the heat required to melt the solder and easily pull the lid off. Then I immediately cool with a small PC fan. remove the solder, lap the core, and clean the glue off the PCB. 

I made a tutorial back in 09' you can view here: https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=332705

Also have a picture compilation thread here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1611862-amd-de-lid-compilation-thread.html

Updated AMD soldered delid list and tut here: https://warp9-systems.proboards.com/thread/636/amd-soldered-lid-list-tutorial?page=1

(the above is not an advertisement)

I've been doing this since Der8auer got into the game. The Die mate released in only just 2017. I think it's a great product. Fortunately, never needed one and was kinda like "meh" when I saw it. But it gives people a chance to experience a de-lidded chip.

lulz @ vice grips and torch. ballz. had no idea AMD been using solder for that long. thanks for sharing the links, will read through them and hit you up about that IHS if we delid it. probably will, we've done a bunch of 1151 with the rockitcool delid tool. been thinking about messing with the soldered chips for awhile and now we have a good excuse.

25 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

lulz @ vice grips and torch. ballz. had no idea AMD been using solder for that long. thanks for sharing the links, will read through them and hit you up about that IHS if we delid it. probably will, we've done a bunch of 1151 with the rockitcool delid tool. been thinking about messing with the soldered chips for awhile and now we have a good excuse.

I simply de-lid in the same fashion it was installed.... just opposite. But thanks for the complement. 

I think the first AMD soldered Cpu was the Athlon 6400+. Which I de-lidded two of those.Both chips hit 4ghz after the de-lidding as well. (fastest US frequency I might brag)

Here's the 6400+ (one of the two) displayed at HWBot. https://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/athlon_64_x2_6400_plus_windsor/