Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SpicyTater

Only 2 Android version updates for your $1000+ phone (Android 11 +12)

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/03/03/samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-support-two-years-update-price-upgrade-galaxy-s10-note10-upgrade/#7aa87f5a2ee1

Spotted by the eagle-eyed SamMobile, Samsung has warned buyers of all its new flagship smartphones that they will only receive two generations of Android upgrades (that’s Android 11, which has already entered public beta testing and Android 12, which will be released next year). This news comes despite Samsung jacking up the prices for its new models, making them the most expensive mass-market smartphones ever released.

So Samsung has quietly announced that they will only be giving out 2 Android updates for the S20 line and the Z Flip. This will be android 11 which is already in public beta and android 12. 

So they increase prices drastically and then set them up for a 2-3 year lifespan. I'm sticking with my 1.5 year old pixel 3 that's guaranteed to get 3 possibly 4 android updates...

Edited by SansVarnic
Clarification, added quote (fixed your quote to proper format - SansVarnic)

Two major version updates is about the minimum companies can get away with, and without looking for specific examples I think you might even have got less in some cases. Hopefully they'll keep up with the monthly security updates also.

Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, GameMax Silent, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Gaming system 2: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance RGB 8x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Corsair HX1000i, Gamemax Abyss, Samsung 960 Evo 512GB, LG OLED55B9PLA

VR system: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700T stock, Scythe Kozuti, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

Honestly id rather pay 5$ per update after those 2 updates rather than getting no updates, on a regular phone, on a 1000$ phone you should get 5 years support.

If i buy 1000$ GPU or 100$ GPu is going to be supported 5 years minimum, this is not acceptable practice i hope EU forces all phone makers to allow battery change by user and at least 3 year android update and 5 year security update, these are both important because when a major security flaw is found if your phone is not getting update sometimes bank apps and other sensitive apps can stop working, its just not acceptable.

Why would you even buy a $1000+ phone?

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

7 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Honestly id rather pay 5$ per update after those 2 updates rather than getting no updates, on a regular phone, on a 1000$ phone you should get 5 years support.

If i buy 1000$ GPU or 100$ GPu is going to be supported 5 years minimum, this is not acceptable practice i hope EU forces all phone makers to allow battery change by user and at least 3 year android update and 5 year security update, these are both important because when a major security flaw is found if your phone is not getting update sometimes bank apps and other sensitive apps can stop working, its just not acceptable.

Long term software support with paid updates and optional triennial hardware updates is honestly a cool idea for a startup, and I would even attempt something like that, except it won't be sustainable for long as you can only keep geeks entertained for so long, and normies won't be particularly fond of the idea.

Nothing really new. My Nexus 5 and Nexus 5X phones got 2 major Android updates and little security updates after that. Would assume the same goes for my mother's Samsung S8, it received Android 10 after 9 months of Andrid 10 being out.

This seriously needs to change, it's just not enough. Not that your phone will be useless for years after, but still they're very expensive nowdays for flagships and software is a huge part of the experience. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

Just give us removable battery and Snapdragon chipset and XDA will take care of the rest

Regardless, spending over $500 on a phone is just dumb in my opinion

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

26 minutes ago, Sauron said:

My Pixel 3 XL was £549 and that stung, tbh I only bought it because the payment was included in my contact amount.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

1 hour ago, SpicyTater said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/03/03/samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-support-two-years-update-price-upgrade-galaxy-s10-note10-upgrade/#7aa87f5a2ee1

So Samsung has quietly announced that they will only be giving out 2 Android updates for the S20 line and the Z Flip. This will be android 11 which is already in public beta and android 12. 

So they increase prices drastically and then set them up for a 2-3 year lifespan. I'm sticking with my 1.5 year old pixel 3 that's guaranteed to get 3 possibly 4 android updates...

Two *major* updates. This does not include the countless ones in between. Still might be useless/rubbish, but headline/standing is kinda misleading.

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

My Pixel 3 XL was £549 and that stung, tbh I only bought it because the payment was included in my contact amount.

Yea, I bought me and my wife's Pixel 3 for $600 (BOGO). And even that stung lol. Love the phone though

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

Two *major* updates. This does not include the countless ones in between. Still might be useless/rubbish, but headline/standing is kinda misleading.

That's what I'm referring too, android 11 and 12. I will change the headline though. Not trying to be misleading, just trying to make sure people know before they spend an ungodly amount on a galaxy S20 ultra.

This is why I ditched dumb Android. It's pathetic how long it takes to receive updates and also for how long. If you get 2 years worth of updates, that's already huge for Android. Where with iOS, 5 years no matter what device you have is nothing unusual. Sure you don't get all the features that might be limited to certain HW configs, but neither you do on Android. And getting them on time is what I like the most. I see news iOS version X was released and when I check for updates, it's there. Unlike with Android where I had to scan news for weeks and months to see if I'll even get the update and when. And then I got the news my model "just" got excluded from updates. Probably never again.

29 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Same reason people here won't blink at dropping $2,000-plus on a gaming PC: because, while you can get away with a device costing half as much, you're an enthusiast who appreciates those premium features.

If you enjoy mobile photography and want the best possible shots, if you want a nice screen for watching videos during your commute, if you want to never worry about performance or storage... well, all those cost money.  I do agree that many people can get away with a considerably less expensive phone (just ask iPhone 11 and OnePlus 7T users), but why blast someone if they genuinely want more and can spring for it?

Well that kind of sucks i was hoping to buy a new S20 in the next month or so since my 9 year old phone is getting really slooooowwwwww LOL. Time for a new phone. Now i'm thinking maybe a iphone instead. Might have to think of my options and test out a few different models before i take the plunge. 

18 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Same reason people here won't blink at dropping $2,000-plus on a gaming PC: because, while you can get away with a device costing half as much, you're an enthusiast who appreciates those premium features.

Nah, there are no "premium" features here. It's just about unnoticeably better cameras (if that) and gimmicks. You don't get a tangible performance boost and you don't get to run anything you couldn't otherwise, so no, it's just money in the trash. Looks don't play much of a role either since it's just variations on "tiny brick with rounded corners".

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

6 minutes ago, IceCold008 said:

Well that kind of sucks i was hoping to buy a new S20 in the next month or so since my 9 year old phone is getting really slooooowwwwww LOL. Time for a new phone. Now i'm thinking maybe a iphone instead. Might have to think of my options and test out a few different models before i take the plunge. 

I'm currently using an iPhone 6s and it received the latest ios update 13.3. This phone is like, what, 5 years old now? Pretty good update life.

Too bad I hate iOS with a passion vs android. Stuck with it until my s20 arrives though. 

They probably think 2 major updates is enough for most people because it seems that the general public switch to a new phone roughly every 2-3 years anyways. 

Samsung has been doing this for years.

Nothing surprising.

Except sometimes, they pull this shit where they release a phone with an already outdated version of Android, update it within a few weeks/months and then give it another update a year later to the next Android OS... But because they released the device with an outdated OS, they get to complete their "two updates" within a year and a half at most, essentially fucking over their users out of one major Android update... Then they release a new update for South Korea only, fucking us over, once more.

That is what happened with my phone.

A5 2017. Release in January 2017 with Android 6. 
Android 7 officially came out for general availability in August of 2016. They literally could've either updated the devices from factory by that point or pushed the update on Day 1.

Even so, Samsung decided that because of their two updates policy and that it launched with Android 6, Android 8 was the stopping point.

But then, late 2019, they released Android 9 for the Korean market only for the A7 2017(literally the same phone, but bigger). Which devs on XDA managed to port for the other markets and other devices. Thankfully.

Really, fuck Samsung.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Am I the only one who doesn't mind, in fact prefers, no "major" update (i.e., mostly not security related) at all?

When I think of "supported for X years" I take it to be about security patches and bug fixes. The value of pushing "redesigns" and "feature updates" on devices not tested (too many android devices for all of them to be tested by software developers, and let's be honest, you are lucky if the manufacturer tests at launch -forget about anything that comes after), is questionable at best.

I mean, sure, not something you expect at the $1000 price tag, but many lower spec phones work great because their lower end hardware was tested to be "good enough" for the software they ship with or is available at that time, and will continue to work just fine as long as no "major" update comes and over-bloat them.

Personally it doesn't bother me too much, when there's good support through places like XDA forums. Also, with 2 major updates that would mean the phone would be approx 3 years old before updates stop. I don't expect a phone to last longer than 3 years anyway personally before I would want/need an upgrade...  which is why I stick to upper mid-range handsets like pocophone etc at most. Even then I'll extend the life via 3rd party ROMs/software, battery replacement etc so I can hand the phone down to one of my brothers or other family.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

https://www.dictionary.com/  is good for helping with spelling, if you care.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GZWxgJ
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

16 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Nah, there are no "premium" features here. It's just about unnoticeably better cameras (if that) and gimmicks. You don't get a tangible performance boost and you don't get to run anything you couldn't otherwise, so no, it's just money in the trash. Looks don't play much of a role either since it's just variations on "tiny brick with rounded corners".

I was speaking more in a general sense, not necessarily about the S20.  Speaking of which: hoping there are reviews of the regular S20 and S20+ to see if they're better values.

6 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I was speaking more in a general sense, not necessarily about the S20.  Speaking of which: hoping there are reviews of the regular S20 and S20+ to see if they're better values.

From what I have heard so far, one important difference(other than the obvious) between the regular S20 and S20+ is in regards to 5G support. The S20+ and Ultra support both lower and higher band 5G. The regular S20 only supports one......but I forget which one now. ?

Edit: Looks like the regular S20 only supports the lower bands. mmwave(high band) is only on the S20+ and Ultra, though reportedly a later release(later this year?) of the S20 will also support both?

I don't expect 5G to be a widespread thing until like late 2021 or 2022 anyways. At least here in Canada. 

On one side, since people continue to buy them guess they don't care or don't deserve more, the whole vote with your wallet right ? On the other have the new Android version brought any kind of feature or improvement that has had anyone go "I need this to continue with my life" ?

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I was speaking more in a general sense, not necessarily about the S20.

Well, what I said applies to pretty much all phones in that price range aside from possibly ultraniche devices with some special feature that some people need.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

On the other have the new Android version brought any kind of feature or improvement that has had anyone go "I need this to continue with my life" ?

Night/dark mode? That's a feature I needed in my life and happy to have once it was available.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro