R9 290 vs 780 (solved)

Missioncode

Ok I've got leads on an ASUS DCU2 R9 290 for $460 or a MSI TF 780 for $490. I game at 1440p and want to know which one is better.

According to this the R9 290 is better and for less. (they did have a golden card it seems)

AMD

Pros: Mantel, true audio,

cons: runs hot

Green team

Pros: Nvidia game steam

cons: more money.

Please tell me which one you think I should get.  Listing your pros and cons. Im on the edge and could go either way but leaning towards AMD. 

If you see yourself streaming a lot go for nvidia and I don't see how the hot card is a bad thing, they are designed to run at those temps.

Get a 780.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Just go for the 780, if you want to add another card in the future you might not be able to find a 290 for under $600...

BTW where the hell did you find a 290 for that price?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

If you see yourself streaming a lot go for nvidia and I don't see how the hot card is a bad thing, they are designed to run at those temps.

But, the card running at that temperature heats up the entire case and destroys temps for other components.

Ok I've got leads on an ASUS DCU2 R9 290 for $460 or a ASUS 780 for $490. I game at 1440p and want to know which one is better.

According to this the R9 290 is better and for less. (they did have a golden card it seems)

AMD

Pros: Mantel, true audio,

cons: runs hot

Green team

Pros: Nvidia game steam

cons: more money.

Please tell me which one you think I should get.  Listing your pros and cons. Im on the edge and could go either way but leaning towards AMD. 

Ok i'm sick of people asking Green Team VS. Red Team, because all it does is attracts fanboys from both teams and before you know it everone is fighting with each other and no one cares what the topic was.

No card is better then another, it comes down to what you want, what both the teams have to offer, just go for the one that you think is better for you. Do you believe in mantle or G-sync. I dont think Cuda and opencl are the deciding factors now, but then again, it's about what you want.

Fx-8320 Clocked@ 4.5Ghz, 2 * 4GB Corsair Vengeance Blue, 2 * Gigabyte rev1.0 R9 280x's, 2TB Seagate Drive, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev4.0 mobo, Fractal design Define R4 with SP120 High Performance Edition In the Side Panel, Corsair AX 860i, Corsair K60 Reds, Razor DeathAdder.

780 in my opinion (reference or not)

EDIT: if it wasn't for the noise and the mixbag of chips going on the amd side i would say 290

780 because EVGA

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Ok i'm sick of people asking Green Team VS. Red Team, because all it does is attracts fanboys from both teams and before you know it everone is fighting with each other and no one cares what the topic was.

No card is better then another, it comes down to what you want, what both the teams have to offer, just go for the one that you think is better for you. Do you believe in mantle or G-sync. I dont think Cuda and opencl are the deciding factors now, but then again, it's about what you want.

But each card has a distinct advantage over each other in many aspects. 780 runs cooler, 290 is cheaper, 780 is cheaper in most places in the US right now, 290 is a good mining card, Mantle vs Gsync. These are legitimate questions that the OP has taken into consideration. He isn't trying to start a flame war...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I see no one fanboying in here.  @TyagoDani made a good point about how some R9 290 OC well and some don't @zinton made a point of im ever going to steam I should get Nvidia. These are point that I did not think about. 

Get a 780.

Just go for the 780, if you want to add another card in the future you might not be able to find a 290 for under $600...

BTW where the hell did you find a 290 for that price?

At this resolution the 290 begins to take dominance, don't forget that.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

At this resolution the 290 begins to take dominance, don't forget that.

yeah but you can OC a 780 like a beast!

Hail Sithis!

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

You guys are using two different games, how is that even comparable? It most cases, it's usually a two frame difference, either choice he makes it is going to be a good one.

You guys are using two different games, how is that even comparable?

Lol good point

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659-6.html

This and the other benchmark were done at different times, no offence but your benchmark is out of date and I would trust his more.

were is the date on AnandTech I dont see it. 

were is the date on AnandTech I dont see it. 

Obviously some time in 2014, as it clearly says 2014 GPU benchmarks.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

This and the other benchmark were done at different times, no offence but your benchmark is out of date and I would trust his more.

3 month old benches.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7481/the-amd-radeon-r9-290-review

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659-6.html

One day difference? Idk what you guys are on but....

I can find benchmarks were the R9 290 beats the 780. They seem to trade who wins

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/863

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/851

Is total war even a relevant game anymore? And im pretty sure Metro was an AMD optimized game.

Obviously some time in 2014, as it clearly says 2014 GPU benchmarks.

Anand pulls the numbers from his GPU reviews and plugs them in, the year on the GPUBENCH 20xx is simply the say that the GPU is relevant in this year.