GPU running at 8x

I'm new here. So I don't know if this is the right place to post this.

I got a ZOTAC GTX 1660 Super AMP yesterday. And I installed it on the 16x pcie slot. However, on GPU-Z it says that its running at 8x.

I reinstalled the GPU and reset the CMOS. Still no luck. I heard someone say that having an APU paired with a discrete graphics card is what causes this sometimes. Although the difference is negligible (1%) since its gen 3, I am still curious and would like to see it running at 16x. T-T

My specs:

Ryzen 5 2400g

GIGABYTE B450M DS3H

Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 8 GB RAM

Kingston A400 SSD

ZOTAC GTX 1660 Super AMP

First image: normal

Second image: Under render test

gpu1.JPG

gpu on render test.JPG

4 minutes ago, Ch1ckenDumpl1ng said:

I got a ZOTAC GTX 1660 Super AMP yesterday. And I installed it on the 16x pcie slot. However, on GPU-Z it says that its running at 8x.
Ryzen 5 2400g

The Ryzen 5 2400G only has 12 PCIe lanes. 8x for GPU and x4 for NVMe storage.
Running at x8 speed won't make any difference.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

So, it is because of the CPU then?

Is there any way to fix the issue?

Just now, Ch1ckenDumpl1ng said:

So, it is because of the CPU then?

Is there any way to fix the issue?

Yes, it's because of the APU. It has less PCIe lanes than the other Ryzen CPUs.

Buy a different CPU is the only way to get more PCIe lanes. Though it shouldn't be a problem and it won't cause any performance loss running the GTX1660S at x8.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

46 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The Ryzen 5 2400G only has 12 PCIe lanes. 8x for GPU and x4 for NVMe storage.
Running at x8 speed won't make any difference.

That is half right. Ryzen chips with an integrated GPU do not have 16 lanes for a dedicated GPU, they're reserved for the integrated graphics. But they are intended to work together with another AMD GPU of the same series, so you can have an 8x + 8x GPU configuration.

Take note of what CPU-Z/GPU-Z shows when there is no discrete GPU:

pbfw25H.jpg

Sticking a nVidia GPU in there can not take advantage of this. This is different from how intel iGPU's work, where they do not consume PCI lanes while active (somehow) , yet sticking anything in the other 8x slot on an intel board will drop the 16x slot to 8x, even if that card is only a 1x card.

So what you're experiencing , is quite literately "I'm trying to use a second GPU in my system" and you likely can not free up those lanes used by the integrated graphics.

9 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That is half right. Ryzen chips with an integrated GPU do not have 16 lanes for a dedicated GPU, they're reserved for the integrated graphics. But they are intended to work together with another AMD GPU of the same series, so you can have an 8x + 8x GPU configuration.

Take note of what CPU-Z shows when there is no discrete GPU:

pbfw25H.jpg

Sticking a nVidia GPU in there can not take advantage of this. This is different from how intel iGPU's work, where they do not consume PCI lanes while active (somehow) , yet sticking anything in the other 8x slot on an intel board will drop the 16x slot to 8x, even if that card is only a 1x card.

So what you're experiencing , is quite literately "I'm trying to use a second GPU in my system" and you likely can not free up those lanes used by the integrated graphics.

so, if i want to see that 1% difference, then i get a newer CPU further down the line.

This is what it shows with a discrete GPU

cpu1.JPG

cpu2.JPG

1 hour ago, Ch1ckenDumpl1ng said:

so, if i want to see that 1% difference, then i get a newer CPU further down the line.

This is what it shows with a discrete GPU

cpu1.JPG

cpu2.JPG

That's pretty much what I was expecting. Yeah, while I think that might be more than 1% of a performance difference, I also think a lot of people jump on "8X is good enough" because they don't normally see the difference.

26 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That's pretty much what I was expecting. Yeah, while I think that might be more than 1% of a performance difference, I also think a lot of people jump on "8X is good enough" because they don't normally see the difference.

It's probably less than 1%. I believe that number was for a 1080 and that card can only just saturate pcie 3.0 8x

1660 super probably doesn't come close.

31 minutes ago, Kisai said:

what i said is based off of this

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

6 minutes ago, Ch1ckenDumpl1ng said:

That's because people draw the wrong conclusion.

pic_disp.php?id=40777&width=650

pic_disp.php?id=40772&width=650

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Titan-X-Performance-PCI-E-3-0-x8-vs-x16-851/

If there is nothing more the card can do, then it's simply capped. So you see that x16/x16 at the bottom is less performative than the x8/x8, but at 1080p. The one above it, 4K, for all intents, they are hitting the maximum capability of the card and as soon as you remove the bottleneck in the pipeline (tessellation I guess?), suddenly there's a performance gain.

It's going to be a very game/application-centric thing. But I digress, the take-away from such benchmarks should be "the GPU's are falling behind" if anything.

So it doesn't realy matter, and if you have 2 titan x in SLI you probably can afford a 40lane cpu and board anyway.