Need Help with Choosing Parts for my Custom 60 Percent Keyboard

Hello,

I am looking to build a custom keyboard for myself with a budget for around 200 dollars. This can go up but I would like to stay in the general range of this price point. I need help with choosing some parts for it because I am kinda new to all this stuff. Some things that I already know that I want is that I know I want Gateron Ink Yellow switches, I want it to be a 60 percent keyboard, and I want it to be a hot swap board. If someone can create a build for me with the things that I need and the budget that I have that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Edit: This price includes keycaps but if the keycaps make the build significantly worse because of the price of them then I wouldn't include them in the build. I would buy them a couple weeks after I build the board because I already have some spare keycaps. The keycaps that I am interested in buying are these https://kbdfans.com/collections/keycaps/products/pbt-xda-pbt-keycaps-1/. They are only $50 and I kinda want to stick with that vibe for the build.

You could pick up a GK61 kit for less than $100 off banggood or AliExpress, and supply your own switches and keycaps. A GK61 kit comes with:

• Hotswap PCB
  • Case - it comes in wood, aluminium, or plastic
  • Aluminium plate
  • Plate-mount stabilisers
  • Removable USB-C port + USB-C cable

I formerly used to have a GK61 with a wooden case and had bought it for $60. I originally put in Kailh Box Jades into it which costed me $30, and put on an Akko keyset for $40.

The total cost for my GK61 costed me $130, plus shipping.

The cons of choosing a GK61 kit is that the plate and PCB are proprietary so you won't be able to to get an aftermarket case or plate for example, so you'll be stuck with what you get out of the box. The software is also mildly difficult to navigate unless you can fluently read Chinese.

It might be difficult to make a keyboard for around $200, fully-custom. Off the top of my head, at least using KBDfans, I believe you might be able to get around that by doing the following setup:

The total bill for the above comes to $208.40, plus shipping.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

27 minutes ago, sowon said:

You could pick up a GK61 kit for less than $100 off banggood or AliExpress, and supply your own switches and keycaps. A GK61 kit comes with:

• Hotswap PCB
  • Aluminium plate

I formerly used to have a GK61 with a wooden case and had bought it for $60. I originally put in Kailh Box Jades into it which costed me $30, and put on an Akko keyset for $40.

The cons of choosing a GK61 kit is that the plate and PCB are proprietary so you won't be able to to get an aftermarket case or plate for example, so you'll be stuck with what you get out of the box. The software is also mildly difficult to navigate unless you can fluently read Chinese.

It might be difficult to make a keyboard for around $200, fully-custom. Off the top of my head, at least using KBDfans, I believe you might be able to get around that by doing the following setup:

Thank you so much. Which board would you recommend the GK61 or the kbd fans? Also I want it to sound nice so will me getting a plastic or an aluminum case make a difference?

5 hours ago, mithian said:

Thank you so much. Which board would you recommend the GK61 or the kbd fans? Also I want it to sound nice so will me getting a plastic or an aluminum case make a difference?

If you want something that works out of the box, requires minimal setup, and has easier to use software of the pair, GK61. Otherwise, if you want to completely build your own board froms scratch, go with the KBDfans route. It's suepr fun to build your own but the price that comes with it is always daunting.

A keyboard 'sounding nice' depends on many factors such as case, plate, switches, and keycaps. Using an aluminium case has the potential to make your board sound metallic and twangy, and a plastic case might not produce a deep thocky sound. I have no experience with plastic cases though, I've only ever used aluminium and wooden.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 10:24 AM, sowon said:

• Hotswap PCB
  • Aluminium plate

hi, 

I was wondering if you know any cheap/budget parts that I could buy to assemble my first keyboard. I really want to do this with out spending like 100 or 150 dollars.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:32 PM, mithian said:

Gateron Ink Yellow switches

Why tho

3 hours ago, GeneralGusher said:

hi, 

I was wondering if you know any cheap/budget parts that I could buy to assemble my first keyboard. I really want to do this with out spending like 100 or 150 dollars.

What's your budget

9 hours ago, GeneralGusher said:

Likely not at below $100. Even my GK61 fully assembled costed me $130. Did you not read my above comment?

3 hours ago, sowon said:

Likely not at below $100. Even my GK61 fully assembled costed me $130. Did you not read my above comment?

Oh I must of missed that part. I just wanted to know the cheapest price I would have to pay to build a keyboard

9 hours ago, b emoji said:

What's your budget

I dont really have a budget, I just wanted to find the cheapest parts that I could buy, and then once I get to know that price I will decide whether or not its worth building a keyboard

2 minutes ago, GeneralGusher said:

I dont really have a budget, I just wanted to find the cheapest parts that I could buy, and then once I get to know that price I will decide whether or not its worth building a keyboard

If you have access to a 3D printer, print a case. Standard Gateron switches are $2,00 for 10x. Diodes should be a few dollars, about $10-20 for stabilisers, Pro Micro for $4, wires for a few dollars, micro USB cable for a few dollars.

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

If you have access to a 3D printer, print a case. Standard Gateron switches are $2,00 for 10x. Diodes should be a few dollars, about $10-20 for stabilisers, Pro Micro for $4, wires for a few dollars, micro USB cable for a few dollars.

Is there a specific type of pcb i would need if I 3d printed the case?

Just now, GeneralGusher said:

Is there a specific type of pcb i would need if I 3d printed the case?

The Pro Micro, wires and diodes imply hand soldering, so there wouldn't be a PCB.

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

The Pro Micro, wires and diodes imply hand soldering, so there wouldn't be a PCB.

Ok thanks,

Is there any tutorial on how I would have to soldier them together?

1 minute ago, GeneralGusher said:

Ok thanks,

Is there any tutorial on how I would have to soldier them together?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87689.0

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, GeneralGusher said:

One last question is that if I wanted to, would I be able to print a case and then buy a PCB switches, etc, and then assemble it like normal?

..Yes?

I think I am missing some detail, because you are basically asking "If I buy components and print a case, can I assemble it?"

Well of course you can assemble it, provided you have the right tools, skills, etc. for the job. (and of course if you chose the right options, including the right size case)

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

..Yes?

I think I am missing some detail, because you are basically asking "If I buy components and print a case, can I assemble it?"

Well of course you can assemble it, provided you have the right tools, skills, etc. for the job. (and of course if you chose the right options, including the right size case)

Ok but would you personally think that would be a good idea, because I just realized I could just spend a little more money on a case instead.

3 hours ago, GeneralGusher said:

Ok but would you personally think that would be a good idea, because I just realized I could just spend a little more money on a case instead.

The reason to get a case custom made is because you would want some specific parts different.

Getting a case would be a lot simpler.

4 hours ago, GeneralGusher said:

Why are you going with Gateron Yellow inks then? They're not particularly cheap or a good value. If you want inks get black inks, if you want good value get some black bottom milky top housing gaterons or some JWK linears. 

4 hours ago, minibois said:

The reason to get a case custom made is because you would want some specific parts different.

Getting a case would be a lot simpler.

If I were to just buy a pcb and all that, how do I know that the PCB fits into the case?

7 hours ago, GeneralGusher said:

If I were to just buy a pcb and all that, how do I know that the PCB fits into the case?

There are rough standards, 
60% PCBs and Plates for Tray Mounts are basically universal at this point 
For TKLs there's the A87 and B87 standards 

7 hours ago, b emoji said:

There are rough standards, 
60% PCBs and Plates for Tray Mounts are basically universal at this point 
For TKLs there's the A87 and B87 standards 

ok thanks!

19 hours ago, b emoji said:

Why are you going with Gateron Yellow inks then? They're not particularly cheap or a good value. If you want inks get black inks, if you want good value get some black bottom milky top housing gaterons or some JWK linears. 

can you send me a link for the key switches that you recommend?

5 minutes ago, GeneralGusher said:

can you send me a link for the key switches that you recommend?

Gateron Yellows (Get the Black bottom + Milky top ones those sound and feel the best, for linears I would recommend gateron yellows, they have very nice slow curve springs) 
https://novelkeys.xyz/products/gateron-switches?variant=19441344872541

JWK Linears (All of these have different springs, colours and housing material but are all very smooth)
https://store.projectkeyboard.com/products/mauve-switches-10-pack
https://www.apexkeyboards.ca/products/h1switches
https://www.primekb.com/products/alpaca-linears?variant=31565132922976
https://thicthock.com/products/thic-thock-marshmallow-pre-order