Help choosing hardware for adding 3.5" drives to server

I have an HP DL380 G7 server running FreeBSD 12-STABLE. Because the included RAID card wouldn't let ZFS handle the drives directly, I bought an IBM M1015 and reflashed it to IT mode according to this guide: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/confused-about-that-lsi-card-join-the-crowd.11901/

I currently have two 1TB SAS drives in a ZFS mirror, and I have 6 empty 2.5" drive bays. But the fact is that 2.5" drives are generally more expensive and have a lower capacity than 3.5" drives. I'm in the process of ripping my DVD collection so I can access it via my Emby server, so I'm going to be plowing through that 1TB of storage soon. I want to add more storage in the near future. So I think the most cost-effective route is going to be to get an external drive array of some kind that supports 3.5" drives and add 3.5" drives in mirrored pairs as I need additional storage.

I've tried reading and learning about SAS expanders and whatnot, but I'm still fuzzy on that. My current IBM card (flashed with an LSI firmware) has internal connectors. So first of all, is there a way I can make use of my current card and use it to provide external connectors for an external drive array, or must I buy a second card with external connectors? If I can use my existing card, what hardware adapter can I use, or what do I otherwise need to so?

As far as an external drive array is concerned, what hardware do you recommend that is a good quality and reasonable priced? Something I can buy on eBay is fine with me. As far as the drives themselves are concerned, I'll probably be shopping for cost-effective SATA drives. 6 or even 8 TB 3.5" drives are pretty reasonably priced right now. I wanted SAS drives for the OS/boot, but I think SATA should be fine for mass storage. It'll just be for home use, not a high-traffic website or database.

I have a guide on how you can build your own Disk Enclosure for very cheap:

It's good for mass data storage. Not very fast though.

As far as internals, I believe the LFF chassis are different to the SFF chassis so you can't just convert it making external your only choice. 

What you're after is a Diskshelf, which the ones out there typically use IOM6 connectivity, so essentially you need a SAS to QSFP cable.

The issue there, is I dont think they do SFF8087 (internal SAS) to QSFP, only to SFF8088 (external SAS) which would mean you'd have to get a different SAS HBA with external connectors.  You could use an SFF8087 to 8088 Adapter, you can get them as PCIe bracket adapters. 

The other route is the "cheap" route. Essentially you get a case to mount the disks in, a PSU, and a SAS Expander card with external slots

You then make your own JBOD enclosure, and get a SFF8088 to SFF8087 cable, and run the cable through a spare slot in the back of your server to attach to the enclosure. Heres where someone used a cheap motherboard just for enabling the turning on/off: https://www.servethehome.com/sas-expanders-diy-cheap-low-cost-jbod-enclosures-raid/

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA