Home server network setup

jordyvc

Hey,

I'm busy with a home server now, but I have some questions about a network drive that I can share with all the computers in our house.

I do want to have an O: network drive where everyone can read and write files on like movies, music, documents, etc.. We have three windows computers, two mac's and one raspberry pi that has to have access to the O: network drive. (The raspberry pi will read movies from that O: drive for our TV). Will it be possible to have two mac's and the RPI be connected to the network, so they can use the O: drive too?

Are there any tutorials on how I can make this with Windows Server?

The hardware part:

I have the case and a 300watt PSU already, but I'm not sure what motherboard and CPU I have to take, I was thinking for an Intel Pentium G3220. For the HDD's, I think two 2TB HDD's in raid 1.

Any recommendations on this?

I dont use a mac or and im assuming the OS on Rpi is Android?

I can only tell you how to on a PC but just google "how to map a drive on *mac* or *andoid* and it will tell you how. On your server all you have to do is set up that directory as shared.

On a windows PC you just then go to computer -> map a drive -> drive letter (in your case) "O"

Servername: \\servername\folder share\

Credentials, if required.

That's how my NAS is set up, everything pointing to an R: Drive

Also radi 1 is a mirror that is the same data on both drives so if you lose 1 drive its still there on the other. Its the safest but you'll only have 2tb if yousin 2x 2tb drives. Raid 0 will make them faster and give you 4tb but if you lose 1 drive you lose the data on both. 

Are you looking to add more hard drives later? If so you'll want to look at an expandable RAID system. linus did a feature on Windows Storage Spaces that may interest you, otherwise have a look in the Storage forum under Looneys 10tb+ thread and see what everyone in there are using to manage their home servers.

Don't use windows server if you want to put your apples In the same basket. Use something like this http://www.freenas.org/ much better suited for file sharing and compatible across all platforms. Has loads of great features. 

Hey,

I'm busy with a home server now, but I have some questions about a network drive that I can share with all the computers in our house.

I do want to have an O: network drive where everyone can read and write files on like movies, music, documents, etc.. We have three windows computers, two mac's and one raspberry pi that has to have access to the O: network drive. (The raspberry pi will read movies from that O: drive for our TV). Will it be possible to have two mac's and the RPI be connected to the network, so they can use the O: drive too?

Are there any tutorials on how I can make this with Windows Server?

The hardware part:

I have the case and a 300watt PSU already, but I'm not sure what motherboard and CPU I have to take, I was thinking for an Intel Pentium G3220. For the HDD's, I think two 2TB HDD's in raid 1.

Any recommendations on this?

Don't use windows server if you want to put your apples In the same basket. Use something like this http://www.freenas.org/ much better suited for file sharing and compatible across all platforms. Has loads of great features. 

Just wanted to add your hardware should be just fine. You don't actually need allot, just a Good raid controller and network card. Unless its for something else other than sharing.

If you have not bought your gear yet, You should consider something like a 2 Bay NAS, and your Hard drives should be NAS ready like WD RED drives, normal drives wont be able to survive as long on a busy network.

Also NAS devices are allot more power efficient. Check this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107146

I have the earlier one ( newer one has better CPU and USB 3 Support), and its made a world of a difference, when sharing files and streaming on multiple devices. There are even apps to link & sync  mobile devices, really cool. Very easy to setup.

Don't use windows server if you want to put your apples In the same basket. Use something like this http://www.freenas.org/ much better suited for file sharing and compatible across all platforms. Has loads of great features. 

Just wanted to add your hardware should be just fine. You don't actually need allot, just a Good raid controller and network card. Unless its for something else other than sharing.

If you have not bought your gear yet, You should consider something like a 2 Bay NAS, and your Hard drives should be NAS ready like WD RED drives, normal drives wont be able to survive as long on a busy network.

Also NAS devices are allot more power efficient. Check this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107146

I have the earlier one ( newer one has better CPU and USB 3 Support), and its made a world of a difference, when sharing files and streaming on multiple devices. There are even apps to link & sync  mobile devices, really cool. Very easy to setup.

I also want to use the server for visualization. 

I was thinking to do the following: Installing ESXi, creating a virtual machine for the NAS, and create other VM's for other stuff.

- 1x 2TB WD GREEN hdd with raid 0 for the NAS.

- 1x 500GB WD GREEN hdd with raid 0 for the VM's.

- 2x 2TB WD RED hdd with raid 1 for backup the NAS and VM's.

- 1x small SSD as boot drive

Will it be possible to have different RAID's in one system as I want to do?

I also want to use the server for visualization. 

I was thinking to do the following: Installing ESXi, creating a virtual machine for the NAS, and create other VM's for other stuff.

- 1x 2TB WD GREEN hdd with raid 0 for the NAS.

- 1x 500GB WD GREEN hdd with raid 0 for the VM's.

- 2x 2TB WD RED hdd with raid 1 for backup the NAS and VM's.

- 1x small SSD as boot drive

Will it be possible to have different RAID's in one system as I want to do?

Well its possible. Some boards can do it. You might get bandwidth limitations. Would recommend 2nd RAID controller. The Raid Controllers can cost just as much as the NAS devices if not more. Sounds like a very complex system your trying to build.

For "movies, music, documents, etc" I would keep that separate from your "other stuff" Keep it simple and separate from your experiments. 

Will it be possible to have two mac's and the RPI be connected to the network, so they can use the O: drive too?

On the Mac, on the desktop, press Command-K, then in the address type smb://SERVER-NAME/O-path