Walmart's $250 laptop is AWESOME!

nicklmg

There's quite a few hidden treasures behind the stigma Walmart has. Granted, the Walmart in my town is literally number three in the whole country for thefts...

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Granted, the Walmart in my town is literally number three in the whole country for thefts...

Just means they have the best stuff. /s

Or, ya know, buy a Thinkpad or Chromebook*

*if you don't like ChromeOS put Linux on it

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

That is so cheap. A full fledge Ryzen, even with Athlon that thing is still awesome.

$300 laptop usually don't play games at all.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

that beginning to sponsor read seemed so much like your old 1 take policy.

Sh*T I can't see who it is scroll.

the machine looks a lot like my daily HP probook 445R G6 but cut and cheaped out in every way.

why do so many companies put a dam 45W hour battery in a 14in. Give me 60-70W

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I've been looking for a casual web browsing thin and light for my bedside. If this goes on sale for $200 I might grab it. 

What I want to know is what type of ram to upgrade it with and is there a specific type of m.2 I have to use in the extra empty slot.  If anyone has that info I would greatly appreciate it. Or even if LTT would do a video on upgrading it for us that dont have a clue about that kind of stuff. A mid tier upgrade and a high tier upgrade; CPU(if possible), RAM, SSD, micro SD...all would be appreciated

I bought the Ryzen 5 version with 8GB of ram, for 200$.

The next day they doubled the price.

It's a fantastic laptop, 8GB RAM, twin nVME drives (I installed one myself, since it had the open slot) very nice screen, etc.

Very pleased with it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Do they offer something like this but in the 15.6 size? Walmart website is...not great.

Actually looks like a really nice laptop for the money!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 hours ago, 2w1r3dfuz3 said:

What I want to know is what type of ram to upgrade it with and is there a specific type of m.2 I have to use in the extra empty slot.  If anyone has that info I would greatly appreciate it. Or even if LTT would do a video on upgrading it for us that dont have a clue about that kind of stuff. A mid tier upgrade and a high tier upgrade; CPU(if possible), RAM, SSD, micro SD...all would be appreciated

its standard ddr4 sodium.

for m.2 it has to be a PCIE drive

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Acer A515-43-R19L... $60~ more on amazon

Has 2 SODIMM slots so you can make it dual channel easily

NVMe included, has 2.5" slot and screws in the box for upgrade SSD/HDD...

13 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Buy MOTILE 14" Performance Laptop at Walmart: https://geni.us/eAxsBL4

anyone know how to get this in Canada? 

42 minutes ago, SPT said:

anyone know how to get this in Canada? 

Probably have to drive across the boarder, sadly.

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

Do they offer something like this but in the 15.6 size? Walmart website is...not great.

It's not the same price now, but I bought the ASUS VivoBook 15.6" for $250 at Christmas. Comparisons: 

✅ Bigger (duh) 

✅ Numpad 

✅ DUAL-CHANNEL MEMORY (4GB soldered to the board and 1 empty slot. I upgraded, and CPU-Z confirmed it running in dual-channel mode.) 

✅ A more legible backlit keyboard 

✅ The same hardware specs generally (CPU, RAM, SSD size) 

❌ Possibly an even worse screen (not even IPS) 

❌ No ethernet port 

❌ Plastic 

? Fingerprint reader instead of IR camera (I prefer it, but tastes vary.) 
? Still plenty of lightbleed on the backlit keyboard 

? MicroSD card slot rather than full SD 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-VivoBook-15-6-FHD-Display-AMD-Ryzen-3-3200U-4GB-DDR4-128GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home-in-S-mode-Slate-Gray-F512DA-WH31/700011839 

As someone who owns this exact laptop and has been using it as a daily driver i figured i would give my input. The laptop is great. it's actually my main computer atm and i even game consistently on it. I have had no issues in any hardware. The issues i have had have been software. These laptops have one major problem and if you do some research on them you can find info on it. The problem is that bios updates are constantly causing issues all over the board. with each new one it fixes some problems but creates new ones. As far as i know the latest bios is 1.06. There might be a 1.07 out now. I am running on 1.02 which is before most of the major problems have occured. But i still have occured some major issues and i will list them now. Number one, after one week of use i encountered an issue that has happened randomly on windows 10 since 2015. After boot no programs would run. they wouldn't crash. they just simply would not run. Any programs that magically decided to open would not be interactable. So i wiped the ssd and did a fresh install of windows 10 which fixed that problem. Now after the fact i am running into new issues and have no idea what's causing them or how to fix them. Bluetooth randomly stops working and i have to restart the laptop for it to work again. Video playback will have random stutter but fixes itself randomly (was not happening before fresh install so its not performance issue) and just a couple of other problems here and there. Overall I love the laptop and will continue to use it even with the problems. Just wish i could fix them as the things that go wrong are things in my daily life.

12 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

There's quite a few hidden treasures behind the stigma Walmart has. Granted, the Walmart in my town is literally number three in the whole country for thefts...

At least yours is still open.

We had one not too far from here years ago that was shutdown due to all the theft it had going on.

I had never heard of one being shutdown before this one was but it happened.

I agree, if you shop carefully you can find some good deals at Wal-Mart  and this lappy does look good for the money.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

16 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

the Walmart in my town is literally number three in the whole country for thefts...

excellent.. pick me up one of these next time you go by :)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

I've saw the video earlier today and was considering picking one up. I was looking at other laptops and comparing prices and specs etc. Just went back to look at these Motile ones on Walmart and looks like they're increasing the prices on them now. The one in the video that was $250 is now $300, and the upgraded R5 one that was $400, is now $420. RIP T_T.

I want to get better ram and more of it...about to pick it up tommorow.  Anyone know what ddr4 pc speed it can handle max? If not, how would I check? Motherboard model #, google it and I should find my answer? Also, is it possible to replace the 128gb ssd that comes with it? I already have a 2TB m.2 pcie nvme ssd waiting for the laptop.  The ram I have in mind is:

G.SKILL Ripjaws SO-DIMM 16GB 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Laptop Memory Model F4-3200C18S-16GRS https://www.newegg.com/product/N82E16820232726?m_ver=1

Is this one overkill and does anyone have a better suggestion? 

Also, I know some laptops you can disassemble the screen and replace it with another one. Any one have any ideas on what screens would fit or work as a replacement? (My 10 month old is trying to steal my thumbs...thanks ahead of time for any assistance or direction).

• 4 months later...

Does this have the power to run fusion 360?