Is a chair mat worth it?

Nine Tailed Fox

depends on the type of carpet.  thicker carpet i would say absolutely get a floor mat if you ever want to use the wheels on your chair

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

4 minutes ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

On carpet

You're the only one who can make that decision, since you are the only one who knows what kind of carpet you.

In deeper carpet it might be worth it, but if you want your chair to move around less, it would actually be preferable to have it just on carpet.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Speaking as a custodian who deals with this: if you want your carpet to last longer, get one. Don't get a cheap one, get a good one. Cheap ones discolour right away and start to get hard and crack. Get one twice the size you think you'll need, because without realizing it, you will likely use more space to roll back and get out of your chair. I know I do because I always hit the cabinet behind me.

The carpet I'm on is from the year 1980, when the home was put together. So we really don't care about it, thus I don't use one. But you'll eventually create ruts in the carpet, which is permanent damage, and also is harder to roll out of when moving. If on newer carpet, I'd get one regardless as it can disperse your weight more evenly across a flatter plane, lessening the overall long term damage.

Ultimately the choice is yours, but that's just my two cents having to deal with this stuff at work (and having old ass carpet at home).

Get a mat. I've ruined the carpet under my desk without one.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

4 hours ago, geo3 said:

Why not both? The “No need for chair mats” in the title is clear and blatant marketing nonsense... Both would be far better than these and no mat...

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Seriously though, I've removed the carpet long ago took me a moment to realize what was it about. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, geo3 said:

How so? I've been using these for a few years with no mat.

They will roll even better on a mat vs straight carpet but no different vs hard floors.

You wouldn’t use a mat on hard floors but I bet these wheels move far better on hard floors than castors. So the statement is a bit redundant really.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

14 hours ago, geo3 said:

I'm trying out a set of those right now. I haven't removed the mat yet because some heavier reviewers stated that the caster bearings broke on theirs. I suspect that may be from additional side thrust due to the wheels sinking into softer carpeting.

10 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

Why not both? The “No need for chair mats” in the title is clear and blatant marketing nonsense... Both would be far better than these and no mat...

I use a mat on a vinyl tile floor because, in the past, I've had tiles get damaged by the harder stock wheels. If the bearings hold up for me, I will then try them without the mat.

6 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

They will roll even better on a mat vs straight carpet but no different vs hard floors.

You wouldn’t use a mat on hard floors but I bet these wheels move far better on hard floors than castors. So the statement is a bit redundant really.

It would depend on the chair casters and the type of hard flooring whether a mat would be beneficial or not.

So far, I'm liking the new castors. They do have the downside of being an inch or so taller than the factory casters. I'm a tall broad but I have short legs. Fortunately, my chair had just enough adjustment to let me comfortably use the taller castors.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!