Hardware reviews do not follow warranty specs and mislead to warranty loss

Hardware reviews do not fallow warranty specs and mislead to warranty loss (exemplified with i3-7xxx in youtube link).

As said by chipart owners/youtubers, many reviewers make builds ( probably using guidelines from manofacturers ( intel/amd)) that put together ram of higher frequency than covered by intel warranty.

Also when home users do the same, and ocasionaly have processor fault, they fill the warranty request to intel informing details abouts their builds, and have their warranties automaticaly denied since processor in question should not be used with high profile memories.acording to intel warranty

Warranty in Brazil is a serious problem, since manufacturer make more and more complex rules in order to ignore responsabilty over fault hardware, Since last year chipart has been acting as knights to force motherboards, memory, gpu manufacturers to take a moral/honest way on their warranty offers

( untill Chipart last campaign, many brands used to sell 3/2 year warranty on the box covers, but usually ofered only 1 year in Brazil when contacted by users)

Edited by jhon_tiro85
put the link

GN just did a video about this a few days ago. The crux is that you basically need to actively try to get Intel to deny your warranty, and even if that happens you can just hang up and try again since they don't keep identifying info until the warranty request is already approved. 

Maybe it's different in other countries, but at least in the US Intel's warranty service is on the higher end in terms of quality. Plus even if it wasn't its not a reviewers fault for building overclocked systems; their job is to show end user performance, so as long as they identify that a system is not running at stock then they have already done their due diligence. 

3 hours ago, jhon_tiro85 said:

and have their warranties automaticaly denied since processor in question should not be used with high profile memories.acording to intel warranty

Sounds like BS. How a higher quality(and thus faster) RAM could kill a CPU? o.O

16 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Technically Intel does claim it, but it's just your typical ass covering EULA style text of "running outside of the spec could result in damage". 

It's not like they have any way to validate what your OC/RAM speeds were if your CPU dies anyway, so the whole thing is kind of a moot point. 

Eh, over here, you just RMA the components with the store you bought them from instead of directly with the manufacturer. Much faster service that way and far less hassle.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

So Brazil happens to be even worse for consumers than US? I'm actually surpised. But the title really should reflect Brazil specificity. Also as mentioned GN literally did a blind test into this and it still works.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

This is probably why people - when sending back things for warranty - explicitly state 'I did not overclock or run XMP' :/

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

This needs to end. If Intel wants to lock their components down, I'd let them and wouldn't bat an eye when they lose revenue. As long as they're offering a K-chip, they need to eat that bullet and realize that running "out of spec" is the entire selling point of the K-chips. Whether it's talking about RAM or the CPU, it's all kit and parcel. 

Also, the onus is on Intel to prove damage was done by a specific behavior and even then should still be covered by warranty. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

This needs to end. If Intel wants to lock their components down, I'd let them and wouldn't bat an eye when they lose revenue. As long as they're offering a K-chip, they need to eat that bullet and realize that running "out of spec" is the entire selling point of the K-chips. Whether it's talking about RAM or the CPU, it's all kit and parcel. 

Also, the onus is on Intel to prove damage was done by a specific behavior and even then should still be covered by warranty. 

Getting a warranty denied due to overclocking is basically like failing an iq test.

You have to basically try and get the warranty denied yourself for that to happen.

21 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Getting a warranty denied due to overclocking is basically like failing an iq test.

You have to basically try and get the warranty denied yourself for that to happen.

Agreed. But we want to "value" "honesty". And then we get reprimanded for having to lie through omission. Just cover it. Overclocked and broke your chip? Covered! Didn't and still broke your chip? Covered! 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Agreed. But we want to "value" "honesty". And then we get reprimanded for having to lie through omission. Just cover it. Overclocked and broke your chip? Covered! Didn't and still broke your chip? Covered! 

This term in the warranty has been around for decades. I am not sure why all of a sudden its being made out to be a big deal.

Yes it would be nice if they stopped doing it. but theres no real point when its as easy as saying "no" when asked if you overclocked it.

Its not worth the time to change the documents when its such an easy work around imo.

If you are looking for honesty from a company whos selling you a product your going to be looking for a long long time. None of them care about you.

4 hours ago, jhon_tiro85 said:

As said by chipart owners/youtubers, many reviewers make builds ( probably using guidelines from manofacturers ( intel/amd)) that put together ram of higher frequency than covered by intel warranty.

How could Intel ever hope to prove that I used higher frequency RAM?

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Agreed. But we want to "value" "honesty".

Intel doesn't so why should we?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

How could Intel ever hope to prove that I used higher frequency RAM?

They cant. Hence why im really confused how this Chipart channel is having such issues. You figure a tech channel would be smart enough to not get denied a RMA due to overclocking. 

50 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Eh, over here, you just RMA the components with the store you bought them from instead of directly with the manufacturer. Much faster service that way and far less hassle.

We are lucky to be covered by EU regulations, but for how long given all the Brexit nonsense going on. Hopefully here in the UK we keep the strong consumer laws we have become used to.I believe Aussieland also has similar laws. We have a contract with the shop, not the manufacturer so it is them we deal with. What happens up the chain is not the consumers issue.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Intel doesn't so why should we?

They don't. But I do see this behavior as anti-consumer. Imagine if your car's powertrain warranty was blocked due to you driving over 100mph which is "overspec" per speed limits. I fight these types of policies because they erode society to become less honest and yet society is blamed for "losses" over returns, collisions, etc.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

It doesn't.

What "voids the warranty" is overclocking the CPU, so if you put memory in the PC that is not a perfect match for the CPU's clock (eg extreme tuning mode), intel will call that overclocking. So keep that in mind if you are buying memory that has a higher frequency in the XMP profile than the CPU, because if you turn XMP on, then the warranty is void. If the XMP profile happens to match the CPU bus speed, then even turning it on, can't overclock the CPU since all that changes is the RAM timings.

Unless of course you bought their product service racket---er-plan.

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Which adds like $30 USD to the price of the chip.

At any rate, I have a hard time believing Intel would actually know if you turned XMP on unless you picked the fastest memory on earth and it obliterated the memory controller somehow.

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

They don't. But I do see this behavior as anti-consumer. Imagine if your car's powertrain warranty was blocked due to you driving over 100mph which is "overspec" per speed limits. I fight these types of policies because they erode society to become less honest and yet society is blamed for "losses" over returns, collisions, etc.

Yes, but I don't even think there's a moral reason to condemn people for "cheating" here - as for expanding the warranty, to be honest I don't think it's any of Intel's business what I use their parts with. Unless they can prove that whatever killed the chip came from outside and wasn't a factory defect they should honor the warranty.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Yes, but I don't even think there's a moral reason to condemn people for "cheating" here - as for expanding the warranty, to be honest I don't think it's any of Intel's business what I use their parts with. Unless they can prove that whatever killed the chip came from outside and wasn't a factory defect they should honor the warranty.

That's what I'm arguing. The users should not be condemned for using a part, especially a K-chip, and then getting blocked at RMA for using the product as intended. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Kisai said:

so if you put memory in the PC that is not a perfect match for the CPU's clock

If it doesnt eceed the recommended voltage for the memory controller IDK how they could call it OC and deny warranty. I wouldnt be upset if my CPU failed from the 1,38 Vcore* but voiding warranty for XMP is kinda scummy.

*Delidded water cooled.

What's with all the new accounts making topics of the exact same issue?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

17 minutes ago, Kisai said:

It doesn't.

What "voids the warranty" is overclocking the CPU, so if you put memory in the PC that is not a perfect match for the CPU's clock (eg extreme tuning mode), intel will call that overclocking. So keep that in mind if you are buying memory that has a higher frequency in the XMP profile than the CPU, because if you turn XMP on, then the warranty is void. If the XMP profile happens to match the CPU bus speed, then even turning it on, can't overclock the CPU since all that changes is the RAM timings.

Unless of course you bought their product service racket---er-plan.

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Which adds like $30 USD to the price of the chip.

At any rate, I have a hard time believing Intel would actually know if you turned XMP on unless you picked the fastest memory on earth and it obliterated the memory controller somehow.

Its not enough in EU. They would have to prove you broke it with oc.

14 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

What's with all the new accounts making topics of the exact same issue?

I'd guess something fishy.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

10 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

I don't know about Intel, but other manufacturers are terrible.
Zotac still hasn't replaced nor refunded me for my dead RTX 2070, that was sent for the RMA in August 19, 2019...

I had to RMA my 6850k with Intel a few years ago after it died (it was OC'd, but at a low enough vcore that I highly doubt it was the issue). 

They never asked about overclocking or XMP, they got me the warranty service within about 20 minutes on the phone and they overnight shipped me a replacement with an advanced replacement (and paid my return shipping for the old one). Say whatever you want about Intel's general business practices or the products themselves, the the warranty department is pretty on the ball.

Again, I recommend GN's "Intel Undercover" video from a few days ago. They did at least a half a dozen calls/text chats, and only one was denied due to explicitly admitting they used XMP (which they then opened a new support ticket and got a different support agent who didn't even ask about it). This is the most nothing controversy in the industry. 

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So Brazil happens to be even worse for consumers than US? I'm actually surpised. But the title really should reflect Brazil specificity. Also as mentioned GN literally did a blind test into this and it still works.

Chipart has some video where they try to explain the reason why the brands make warranty so hard for the costumers in Brazil, but the things they are saying about reviewers affect costumers globally. probally not so much on USA/Canada where hardware costs proportionaly less in comparison with average income, but it`s still global

About the brazilian warranty, the problem is that a high volume os costumer level hardware in Brazil comes from "alternative import process", so the brand can not track/project for long term, how much they need to bonify the stores. I know that globally the total cost should be aways the same (no matter the used process) , but financial cost is very important in Brazil, because of burocracy/taxes and also U$1.00 costs R$4,50~ , 

On Costumer side, a regular store usually sells hardware with prices 2x or 3x higher if compared to "älternative market" where usually they offer warranty of 2/3 months and "tax discounts" .

Edited by jhon_tiro85
some portuguese typo

33 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Your cars warranty can be blocked due to things like that.

If you buy a brand new car and use it for your job as an Uber driver you can be denied a warranty.

You have to read the terms of your warranty. You cant even say they are being dishonest since they give you all the documents that tell you what voids a warranty.