Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alaskablackbelt

First PC build

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all, 

I am in the process of building my first PC, and was looking for some feedback on my parts list. My total budget is $1200 (US) including peripherals, tax, and cables. Sales tax is ~10% where I live, so let's say a target of $1100. My goal is to replace an aging laptop using a Nexdock (https://nexdock.com/) while also being able to display to the TV. I also want to be able to play just about any game at 1080p 60Hz. Since it is going to be on display in my living room, I am trying to get some of the aesthetics and creature comforts of higher-end systems without totally breaking the bank.

After a lot of research, my current parts list is:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (AF sku) - $85

Memory: 16GB Corsair vengance pro RGB 3200MHz - $95

Motherboard: Asus TUF B450M-Plus Gaming - $90

PSU: EVGA supernova 550W fully modular 80+ gold - $80

GPU: Asus TUF gaming GTX 1660 super - $230

Storage: WD blue 500GB M.2 NVME SSD - $65

Case: Cooler Master Q300L - $50

Peripherals/accessories:

Logitech MK345 wireless mouse/keyboard combo - $30

2 x Noctua NF-S12B redux - $30

Nexdock touch - $265

Silverstone fan controller - $15

Cables: $60

I have already purchased the case and SSD, but am open to suggestions on everything else. I am also planning on adding an additional 2TB HDD in the future for mass storage, but I don't think that I'll need it right away. Does this seem like a half-reasonable build? I welcome all feedback! 

Thanks!

AK

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good


Main Rig: Custom Built: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G @ 3.6Ghz, 2x8GB Kingston Valueram @ 2666Mhz, Radeon Vega 8, Gigabyte A320M-S2H, Kingston 120Gb M.2 SSD,WD Blue 2.5 Inch 1tb HDD,Cooler Master MWE450, Aerocool CS-100

Laptop: HP ProBook X360 G1 EE: Pentium N4200 @ 1.1Ghz, 4Gb DDR3 1600Mhz 128Gb SSD
NAS Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010: Dual core Celeron G1610 @ 2.6Ghz 4GB DDR3 Ram, 500GB Single HDD

Mothballed Optiplex: Dual core Celeron G1810, 4Gb Ram, 250Gb HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites

For $1200, i think you should bump it up to atleast r5 3600m thats a large boost compared to the 1600AF. I think going for performance over the aesthetics is better. Though its up to you


Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

 

CURRENT PC     

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3200 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G502 Hero
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

 

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't get such horrible peripherals. The fans aren't really needed, so kick them out and upgrade the stuff you'll be touching every time you use the PC.


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 hours ago, dizmo said:

I wouldn't get such horrible peripherals. The fans aren't really needed, so kick them out and upgrade the stuff you'll be touching every time you use the PC.

Honestly that was going to be my first upgrade on the system lol. Do you know of a decent wireless keyboard/mouse that I could find for $75-100?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alaskablackbelt said:

Honestly that was going to be my first upgrade on the system lol. Do you know of a decent wireless keyboard/mouse that I could find for $75-100?

I'd stretch your budget a little more. For $130ish you can get a K63 plus a decent wireless mouse like the G602.


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 hours ago, boggy77 said:

Get the mai b450 vdh pro max instead. Cheaper and better mobo than the asus one.

Also, you're overspending on ram just for the rgb factor. You can find 16gb of 3200 ram for $70

Okay, I'm new here, so I'm curious as to what makes that board better? I looked it up and it doesn't seem much different other than a slightly higher supported RAM speed. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alaskablackbelt said:

Okay, I'm new here, so I'm curious as to what makes that board better? I looked it up and it doesn't seem much different other than a slightly higher supported RAM speed. Thanks!

Most important things on a motherboard are vrms. They deliver power to the cpu. Most b450 boards (apart from the msi ones) have bad vrms that can't deliver enough power to a top of the line cpu like the 2700x. Furthermore, they don't have heatsinks on the vrms, so the heat up dangerously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, boggy77 said:

Most important things on a motherboard are vrms. They deliver power to the cpu. Most b450 boards (apart from the msi ones) have bad vrms that can't deliver enough power to a top of the line cpu like the 2700x. Furthermore, they don't have heatsinks on the vrms, so the heat up dangerously.

Okay cool. So basically the MSI boards will deliver power better to the cpu than one that I had picked out, and the vdh pro max will work well for me at a similar price point?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, I hope I didn't get confused with your budget. Here's a build:
 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $174.99 @ B&H
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC BLACK GAMING Video Card $383.98 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $68.98 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $797.93
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $777.93
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-29 23:15 EST-0500  


Add your Nexdock for $265 and you end up at $1043 total. Add any peripherals you want for the rest of your budget - although as others have pointed out: invest in something solid, you'll be using it everyday. From what I've seen the Nexdock will be available in June/July, so maybe invest a bit in good peripherals and save some money until then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Okay, so after hearing the feedback I have retooled the list. I saw a rebate through EVGA for a $20 rebate on the psu, so I factored that in minus shipping cost.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 - $175

Mobo: MSI B450M Pro-Vdh max - $80

Memory: G.Skill ripjaws 16GB - $70

Storage: WD blue - $65

Psu: EVGA 550W - $65

Case: Q300L - $50

Monitor(?): Nexdock touch - $265

That puts me at $770. 

Keyboard: Corsair K63 wireless - $90

Since the keyboard has a USB passthrough I can actually use an okay but existing wired mouse and upgrade later.

Gpu: EVGA RTX 2060 - $320

That puts me at a total of $1180, so a little over budget. But hey, what isn't? I know that the Nexdock isn't shipping until summer, so I've got a little bit of time to save up on that one. What do you all think? Thanks!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, alaskablackbelt said:

Okay, so after hearing the feedback I have retooled the list. I saw a rebate through EVGA for a $20 rebate on the psu, so I factored that in minus shipping cost.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 - $175

Mobo: MSI B450M Pro-Vdh max - $80

Memory: G.Skill ripjaws 16GB - $70

Storage: WD blue - $65

Psu: EVGA 550W - $65

Case: Q300L - $50

Monitor(?): Nexdock touch - $265

That puts me at $770. 

Keyboard: Corsair K63 wireless - $90

Since the keyboard has a USB passthrough I can actually use an okay but existing wired mouse and upgrade later.

Gpu: EVGA RTX 2060 - $320

That puts me at a total of $1180, so a little over budget. But hey, what isn't? I know that the Nexdock isn't shipping until summer, so I've got a little bit of time to save up on that one. What do you all think? Thanks!

 

Which EVGA PSU is that exactly? Some are better, some are worse.
What GPU do you have there? EVGA 2060 Super or EVGA 2060 KO? The 2060 Super will perform better in games, the 2060 KO has an advantage in productivity tasks, since it uses the TU104 die that the 2070 Super and 2080 use.

Other than that: very, very good build, it'll perform much better than what you presented us at first!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
31 minutes ago, ShinRamen said:

Which EVGA PSU is that exactly? Some are better, some are worse.
What GPU do you have there? EVGA 2060 Super or EVGA 2060 KO? The 2060 Super will perform better in games, the 2060 KO has an advantage in productivity tasks, since it uses the TU104 die that the 2070 Super and 2080 use.

Other than that: very, very good build, it'll perform much better than what you presented us at first!

The PSU is the SuperNOVA 550 GA (220-GA-0550-X1). I figured that it had the features that I wanted from a reputable brand, and the price certainly was right with the rebate.

As for the GPU, I was looking at the EVGA 2060 KO Ultra Gaming (06G-P4-2068-KR). Is the performance difference between the two large enough to warrant the extra cost? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×