What Linux distro should I get started with?

I want to get into programming (python and java). I was told Ubuntu is a great starting platform. Is that correct? Also should I install it on a SSD or flash drive?

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

It doesn't really matter what distro you use, Python and Java work equally well on all of them. But yes, Ubuntu is fine.

2 minutes ago, #Banana said:

should I install it on a SSD or flash drive?

An SSD is going to be a lot faster, as you might expect.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I just went with Ubuntu since it's popular and has a lot of community support. Gnome Tweak Tool for the GUI is neat, but there's not a very enormous difference between the use of Linux from distro to distro.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Ubuntu will work fine, but do you have any other needs from a distro?

My plan is to replace a Windows 10 install on an old 3770k build. So just word processing, web browsing, coding, and other non intensive tasks. Also video watching. 

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

15 minutes ago, #Banana said:

My plan is to replace a Windows 10 install on an old 3770k build. So just word processing, web browsing, coding, and other non intensive tasks. Also video watching. 

The differences between distro a is what packages the system comes with preinstalled.  Ubuntu has a bunch, so it does a bunch of different things.  That’s actually a pretty powerful CPU for Linux so there shouldn’t be any problems.  Ubuntu is sort of “Debian deluxe for beginners”.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, #Banana said:

Ubuntu runs speedy on a pentium from that era. a 3770k is more that fast enough for a speedy linux experience since it's a lighter OS than Windows. 

She/Her

I personally like Mint better.  It is based off Ubuntu (which in in turn based off Debian).  I found Mint easier to use out of the box, but that might be because it was the 3rd distro I tried (Ubuntu was first), so I had more of an idea what I was doing.  The nice thing with Linux is you can run it off a USB stick, so you can try them out and see what you like.  The other nice thing is if there is something you like on another distro that you don't initially have, you can more than likely add it.