Which modem to get?

AroundWayOtherThe

Hey guys,

Just setting up internet for my new place and I need to get a modem/router to fit it. Not exactly a networking guru so plz go easy on the jargon.

Requirments:

• Cheap (however, am willing to play a fair price if it's worth the investment). Hopefully under $75, so is wireless AC really worth it?

• Able to cope with 4-5 people LAN parties

• Able to cope with the amazing Australian internet speeds (advertised up to 20Mbps, so probably more like 10Mbps)

• Easy to use/set up

• Strong enough to broadcast through 3 walls (2 bathroom, 1 hallway)

Cheers in advance

Wit is educated insolence.

modem or router?

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

modem or router?

Modem/router combo... which would probably just be a modem, right?

Modem/router combo... which would probably just be a modem, right?

I don't know what ISP you have but normally they give you the modem. I don't even know if you can buy one. If you want wifi you want a router, have a look at this one: http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-WDR4300 (TP-LINK N750)

i'm a potato

I don't know what ISP you have but normally they give you the modem. I don't even know if you can buy one. If you want wifi you want a router, have a look at this one: http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-WDR4300 (TP-LINK N750)

Normally you do, but this plan comes specifically without one. And it's a $110 extra for some crappy one has the following description

Wireless 4 Port ADSL2+ Modem Router

• Fully featured ADSL2+ modem router
  • Broadcom chipset
  • Wireless N - speeds of up to 300Mbps
  • Two high performance external antennas
  • Four LAN ports for multiple wired connections
  • Advanced wireless security
  • IPv6 support
  • Includes one Filter/Splitter*

Not even a model number :/

You certainly can buy modems. Many ISP's, especially smaller indie ones, allow you to purchase your own and waive the modem rental fee (often $5-8 a month). This practice is common in North America.

Normally you do, but this plan comes specifically without one. And it's a $110 extra for some crappy one has the following description

Wireless 4 Port ADSL2+ Modem Router

• Fully featured ADSL2+ modem router
  • Broadcom chipset
  • Wireless N - speeds of up to 300Mbps
  • Two high performance external antennas
  • Four LAN ports for multiple wired connections
  • Advanced wireless security
  • IPv6 support
  • Includes one Filter/Splitter*

Not even a model number :/

We'll need to know what type of modem you'll need.

What kind of internet do you have? Cable? DSL? Do you know which iteration? (DOCSIS 2.0/3.0, aDSLV2, vDSL, etc)

What is the speed of the package? Both upload and download. This will determine what variation of each technology (For example, if it's 16Mb/1Mb DSL, then it's probably aDSLV2, if it's faster like 50M/10M then it's probably vDSL, if it's 35/1 Cable, then it's likely DOCSIS 2.0, if it's 150/15 then it's DOCSIS 3.0).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You certainly can buy modems. Many ISP's, especially smaller indie ones, allow you to purchase your own and waive the modem rental fee (often $5-8 a month). This practice is common in North America.

Ok, I didn't know that. Here in Portugal all of the ISPs provide you the modem.

i'm a potato