Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jace888

Folding@Home/Boinc-like alternatives to making money

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys,

This is something interesting that hopefully @LinusTech, @Slick and the team could explore.

The link below lists 7 different software that capitalizes only your CPU power for their projects (apparently undisclosed) and in exchange they are paying you real money. Since @LinusTech has so many cores (64 cores, 128 threads), and some of the payouts starts at USD$1 to paypal which is technically achievable within 8 hours for you guys, perhaps a video can be done on whether is it worth for us to try it out.

Its a good experiment anyway. Theoretically, it sits between Folding@Home and BOINC that runs for charity and a payout mechanism that is not crypto currency but apparently actual money via PayPal

https://financialwolves.com/get-paid-for-leaving-your-computer-running/

Writing this at the moment, my laptop seems to run really smoothly with the LoadTeam software at max performance settings with the calculations shown below (https://www.loadteam.com/calculator):

image.png.36848c369bac5d4aa3592809c0656991.png

I'm using an i7-4700 MQ that has 4 cores and 8 threads that boosts up to 3.2 Ghz. Though, the calculations above is based on 2.38 Ghz when CPU is max at 100%.

Let me know whether any of you used any of these softwares before.

Looking forward to hear from you all. Thanks =D

1) thats a lot of pinging
2) folding@home is charity, you don't get paid for it
3) this seems shady as hell

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Crosshair VIII hero  -  Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB@3.2GHz -  Strix 1070Ti  -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  Lian Li PC-011D  -  H100i RGB Platinum SE  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  PNY OC GTX 1060 3GB- XFX Ghost HD 7770 -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Fractal Design Define C  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro  -  1TB Hitachi@7200RPM   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

15 minutes ago, jace888 said:

Hi guys,

This is something interesting that hopefully @LinusTech, @Slick and the team could explore.

The link below lists 7 different software that capitalizes only your CPU power for their projects (apparently undisclosed) and in exchange they are paying you real money. Since @LinusTech has so many cores (64 cores, 128 threads), and some of the payouts starts at USD$1 to paypal which is technically achievable within 8 hours for you guys, perhaps a video can be done on whether is it worth for us to try it out.

Its a good experiment anyway. Theoretically, it sits between Folding@Home and BOINC that runs for charity and a payout mechanism that is not crypto currency but apparently actual money via PayPal

https://financialwolves.com/get-paid-for-leaving-your-computer-running/

Writing this at the moment, my laptop seems to run really smoothly with the LoadTeam software at max performance settings with the calculations shown below (https://www.loadteam.com/calculator?

I'm using an i7-4700 MQ that has 4 cores and 8 threads that boosts up to 3.2 Ghz. Though, the calculations above is based on 2.38 Ghz when CPU is max at 100%.

Let me know whether any of you used any of these softwares before.

Looking forward to hear from you all. Thanks =D

I seriously doubt this isn't a scam. You're wasting more on electricity than you're earning by folding.

I bet most peple would rather provide cpu time for a charity than "earning" maybe a few bucks for a whole month of running their software. Just thinking about the power cost for this if the motivtion is purely monetary is not good at all. For charity people just don't care, but if the drive is purely monetary, you need to account for all costs including power. The fact, that they don't even say what they are using that cpu time for, makes it even more shady. They are basically outsourcing cpu time to gullible idiots (sorry for swearing :D) for a fraction of the market price.

EDIT: virustotal seems to not like their "software" as well. 25/71 flagged as something "not good"

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file-analysis/NzNkYTRlMDc1OGVkNWNlZjQxY2Y3N2U0YzUzYzhkMWE6MTU4MjkwNTA5MA==/detection

Edited by Jisagi
34 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

2) folding@home is charity, you don't get paid for it

Well there is CureCoin and banano.cc, which are cryptocurrencies that are 'mined' through running F@H.

Curecoin is the biggest folding team at the moment (in terms of daily output and total current points).

39 minutes ago, jace888 said:

Does this factor in the cost of electricity? Can this only run on CPU's?

I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

"FuryBSD, name of your sex tape" - Alex Clark

"How long do I have to keep going on? Someone end it already"