Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

Any use for my Radeon HD 5450?

It's possible, but the RX 570 card already has a hardware encoder which would affect the performance of the games by a very little amount, almost negligible.

It would make sense if you have a second PC and use that for uploading the stream... basically you'd play on main pc with rx 570 and use OBS with NDI plugin, which then pushed the raw stream to 2nd pc which compresses everything.

The 5450 would be good enough for 1080p 30fps, maybe even 60fps with some relaxed quality preset (as in set to "fast" or "medium" quality)

The card would be useful to have around, for testing other computers, if your friends bring you a dead computer or something, it still has vga output which the rx 570 doesn't so if you don't have a processor with integrated graphics it could be useful to use with vga only monitors..

It also consumes little power (3w in 2d/idle/windows, maybe around 5w when watching movies, 13w when gaming) and you can tweak it from control center to use even less power

I would consider it for a very low power pc, like for example something to mount in the back of a monitor (on the vesa mount) and powered from 12v only... think let's say an Atom pc with 4 GB of memory and the video card... it would be better than the integrated card in the Atom.

It would also be good enough (hardware feature wise) to work with various emulators (snes, ps2/ps3/nintendo etc) so could be used for some gaming by the tv... make your own "console".

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have an old XFX Radeon HD 5450 2 GB that I used in my childhood, I've been having a hard time selling it for only 4$... So I decided to try to find a use for my Radeon HD 5450...

Well, Do you have any good use for the radeon HD 5450? Can I put it in my rig and make use of it alongside my RX 570 4 GB? (Keep in mind I am using a single monitor).

And if I can't use it inside my rig, what are the other good uses for it? Any recommendations? I am out of ideas, I need your help, your opinion...

just keep it around somewhere as a display adapter in case anything goes wrong with your 570.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Biostar X370GT7 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

just keep it around somewhere as a display adapter in case anything goes wrong with your 570.

But I have the intel HD 4600 iGPU in my CPU

Upgrade a family members or friends rig.
Keep it as a back up in the event your PC starts having issues, you can always use that card to test with.

Just now, InfinityVive said:

But I have the intel HD 4600 iGPU in my CPU

it goes for any desktop your household might have, never hurts to have it lying around.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Biostar X370GT7 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Upgrade a family member or friends rig.
Keep it as a back up in the event your PC starts having issues, you can always use that card to test with.

me and my family have a PC that ages back to 2002, I am not upgrading anything in it to keep it an antique... and I already have the intel HD 4600, what's the probability of that failing too?

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

it goes for any desktop your household might have, never hurts to have it lying around.

Look at my reply above

4 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

me and my family have a PC that ages back to 2002, I am not upgrading anything in it to keep it an antique... and I already have the intel HD 4600, what's the probability of that failing too?

With your history of constant pc issues? Not that low.

Some people try using it as dedicated streaming card.

9 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

With your history of constant pc issues? Not that low.

Some people try using it as dedicated streaming card.

Wait, is that possible? is my HD 5450 capable of being a capture/streaming card?

Edit: And I had constant issues with my storage devices and RX 570, not with my CPU which the intel HD is in...

8 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Wait, is that possible? is my HD 5450 capable of being a capture/streaming card?

I said try. Not with this card though.

Use the card as a cool desk decoration? If you don't need it and can't sell it, what else can you do?

8 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Edit: And I had constant issues with my storage devices and RX 570, not with my CPU which the intel HD is in...

I'm almost sure your cpu will have issues very soon... That's the sneaking suspicion I have.

3 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I'm almost sure your cpu will have issues very soon... That's the sneaking suspicion I have.

What? how? and if issues are going to happen to my CPU, how can I prevent it?

Posted · Best Answer

It's possible, but the RX 570 card already has a hardware encoder which would affect the performance of the games by a very little amount, almost negligible.

It would make sense if you have a second PC and use that for uploading the stream... basically you'd play on main pc with rx 570 and use OBS with NDI plugin, which then pushed the raw stream to 2nd pc which compresses everything.

The 5450 would be good enough for 1080p 30fps, maybe even 60fps with some relaxed quality preset (as in set to "fast" or "medium" quality)

The card would be useful to have around, for testing other computers, if your friends bring you a dead computer or something, it still has vga output which the rx 570 doesn't so if you don't have a processor with integrated graphics it could be useful to use with vga only monitors..

It also consumes little power (3w in 2d/idle/windows, maybe around 5w when watching movies, 13w when gaming) and you can tweak it from control center to use even less power

I would consider it for a very low power pc, like for example something to mount in the back of a monitor (on the vesa mount) and powered from 12v only... think let's say an Atom pc with 4 GB of memory and the video card... it would be better than the integrated card in the Atom.

It would also be good enough (hardware feature wise) to work with various emulators (snes, ps2/ps3/nintendo etc) so could be used for some gaming by the tv... make your own "console".

29 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

What? how? and if issues are going to happen to my CPU, how can I prevent it?

Lol, just keep it and build a shrine of sorts.  It's nice to look back on old tech and reminisce a bit.

Get some shelves and display it and other parts.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti