Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tinil

PC suddenly posting but won’t boot further

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I left my computer on last night and just let it go to sleep from disuse, and when I woke up this morning it was on the “Press F2 or Delete to enter BIOS” part of the startup.

Inside the computer, the boot device LED is a solid red, but as far as I can tell the various lights involved for individual parts do light normally when power is turned on before the solid red light.

So far I have just tried to reset the CMOS battery, which ultimately results in the same state. The computer is about 5 years old and assembled by me from individual parts, with no hardware issues before today.

CPU - Core i5-4690k 3.6ghz
Mobo - ASUS Z-97a
GPU - Radeon R9 390
Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8gb DDR3
Power - EVGA 750w

Storage -  Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD and a storage HD that’s probably not relevant.

OS - Windows 7

 

Forgive me if I missed something, navigating this on a phone is a pain

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tinil said:

Inside the computer, the boot device LED is a solid red, but as far as I can tell the various lights involved for individual parts do light normally when power is turned on before the solid red light.

Have you checked the connections to your ssd and hdd? Also do your drives show up in bios?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
23 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Have you checked the connections to your ssd and hdd? Also do your drives show up in bios?

I checked just now and both seem connected fine.  
 

I cannot actually access the BIOS, whether it isn’t detecting my keyboard or it is frozen, it doesn’t seem to respond to any keys to actually enter the BIOS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tinil said:

I checked just now and both seem connected fine.  
 

I cannot actually access the BIOS, whether it isn’t detecting my keyboard or it is frozen, it doesn’t seem to respond to any keys to actually enter the BIOS.

Try to disconnect everything except for one stick of ram, display, keyboard, and power and see if you can get into the bios.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Try to disconnect everything except for one stick of ram, display, keyboard, and power and see if you can get into the bios.

Am I checking absence of drives or the ram?  Because I don’t have on-board graphics, gotta keep GPU so I am not sure what else needs to be disconnected.

 

Before this reply, I tried check both RAM sticks individually, and both showed no change in the main slot...except now I am not getting monitor activity, just blackness, even after replacing both, so I have taken a step back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tinil said:

Am I checking absence of drives or the ram?  Because I don’t have on-board graphics, gotta keep GPU so I am not sure what else needs to be disconnected.

 

Before this reply, I tried check both RAM sticks individually, and both showed no change in the main slot...except now I am not getting monitor activity, just blackness, even after replacing both, so I have taken a step back.

That was to simplify the setup and to make sure a peripheral wasn't causing an issue. As for the drives, you need to enter bios first to see if they are being seen. Double check the connections to the monitor, it's possible you bumped something loose, and make sure the display cable is being plugged into the gpu, not the motherboard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I’ve unplugged and replugged the monitor a few times but can’t seem to get back to the point where it displays the first screen.  I’m gonna need to sleep here since I am exhausted and this is frustrating but I will try more in the morning.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×