2 nvme ssd installed... adding sata hdd not showing

Ignitros

Hey everyone! I have an Asus ROG Crosshair Hero viii mobo and I am using both nvme slots but I need to add a mechanical drive for extra storage. I have installed a Seagate 6TB 7200rpm sata 6 drive and connected it to the "A" sata 1 which is the top and forward most connection. I get nothing detected in bios nor in windows for the new drive. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Ignitros
spelling

Board probably uses the bandwidth for that sata port for the M.2 drives 

change the port

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, Ignitros said:

I'll try that... brb!

You back yet?  Did that work? 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

It did not work. swapped out to all 8 sata connections on the mobo. I also swapped out the cables just in case. This is a brand new drive too. I looked at ASUS website and it doesn't say anything about not being able to use both nvme slots and the sata so I'm lost. The HDD has power and I can feel it spinning.

8 minutes ago, Ignitros said:

It did not work. swapped out to all 8 sata connections on the mobo. I also swapped out the cables just in case. This is a brand new drive too. I looked at ASUS website and it doesn't say anything about not being able to use both nvme slots and the sata so I'm lost. The HDD has power and I can feel it spinning.

Do you have an external HDD enclosure you can use to test the drive outside of the PC?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Not that I can see. The SATA ports default to AHCI mode which should work fine. There's no conflict between NVMe and SATA ports on that board as it's X570 with just two M.2 sockets (a third M.2 socket would share lanes with a x4 block of SATA ports). From a cursory glance at the manual I can't see any setting that would impact a SATA HDD.

Pg. 3-15 of the manual does say the port should be [Enabled] and show the device if it is present, under the Advanced menu -> SATA Configuration.

• 6 months later...
On 2/27/2020 at 11:20 PM, Ignitros said:

I got it to recognize. I changed everything out then tried clearing CMOS. That did it. Now I just have to redo all my overclocks that I didn't save.  LOL

Hi there! can you guide me how to fix this issue? have same problem... 2 NVME (working) + 2 SATA not recognized SSD. Please help me to solve :)