HDD varying write speeds and response time

QuantumBit

After clearing out a little bit of my HDD to make space for Payday 2 (i have 77gb free now), the main bottleneck is the hard drive (wd 1tb blue). The writes will go from 12mb/s to 100, and the average response time goes from 50 up to 2000 ms (rarely that high though). Also my "faults" seem to be pretty high. Is this a dying harddrive or is mine just too full (like I said, only around 80gb on it)

image.png.c443dc48da183b9eb6864c530b357c95.png

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

It is at least very suspicious, there shouldn't be any hardfault, at least not the type the user will have to worry about. Write speeds could be due to a technic called shingled magnetic recording but afaik your drive is using the conventional magnetic recording. So, unless there may be issues with the connection or the controller I would say the harddrive is going to give you more trouble in the future.

Edit: Complete nonsense. Due to Microsofts renaming of page-faults of virtual-memory handling into 'hard faults' I happened to misinterpret it as beeing hard(disk) faults.

3 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

It is at least very suspicious, there shouldn't be any hardfault, at least not the type the user will have to worry about. Write speeds could be due to a technic called shingled magnetic recording but afaik your drive is using the conventional magnetic recording. So, unless there may be issues with the connection or the controller I would say the harddrive is going to give you more trouble in the future.

Thanks,

so theres no solution? Like clearing out an additional 100-300gb?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

unlike common ssd's a harddisk isn't known to have a drastical slowdown of write-/access-time when almost-full. Usually it will try to mark defective blocks and such, so giving your drive and the filesystem more space will improve its behaviour, but if it already shows hardfaults to you it's going to become worse over time.

Years ago harddisks were more expensive, and even further back - at times when the filesystem itself had the option to mark bad sectors and such, it was about $200+ for 250mb (megabytes!) of harddisk space. In these days we did partition those drives in a way that the area with errors were left out of any access.

24 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

hard faults has nothing to do with hdds issues, its due to memory and swap.

Speeds bounching between those speeds is normal with varying loads.a

Windows resource manager calling it hard faults? https://appuals.com/hard-faults-per-second/

It is page-faults then, there's no 'hard' in it. And then it's a windows-issue, not exactly something that fits into storage-devices.

Run Crystal Disk Info... This should really be the first rule in this subforum if you're asking about HDD that's acting up...