Broken Sennheiser headband wire

GigabitXe

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's, and the right ear just went out. I took them apart and discovered that the wire that goes through the headband and connects the right ear to the left was cracked and needs to be replaced. I did some looking, and I can't tell what type of wire I need to get to replace it. It obviously needs to be super thin, but I don't know if 30 gauge wire would be thin enough. Also, it is not just a single wire, but more like speaker wire in which a single outer casing hold two internal wires. Any ideas for what wire I should get to replace this and fix my headphones?

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

AWG 30 is pretty dang thin, I'd be surprised if that didn't work for you. The wire in the headset has two conductors because you need both a + and a - to complete a circuit to the right ear. You don't need to have both in the same insulation. This is the closest thing I can find: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWI20M0/ref=psdc_495310_t3_B01M70EDCW

I would recommend contacting Sennheiser support. Even if they don't honor the warranty they might be able to point you in the right direction or maybe even sell you replacement part(s). They have been very helpful in the past for me!

On 2/27/2020 at 6:59 PM, ShearMe said:

AWG 30 is pretty dang thin, I'd be surprised if that didn't work for you. The wire in the headset has two conductors because you need both a + and a - to complete a circuit to the right ear. You don't need to have both in the same insulation. This is the closest thing I can find: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWI20M0/ref=psdc_495310_t3_B01M70EDCW

I would recommend contacting Sennheiser support. Even if they don't honor the warranty they might be able to point you in the right direction or maybe even sell you replacement part(s). They have been very helpful in the past for me!

Thanks for the link! I will definitely try contacting their support to see if I can get a replacement wire. I never thought of doing that since these are pretty old and I am sure they are past warranty.  

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

20 hours ago, GigabitXe said:

Thanks for the link! I will definitely try contacting their support to see if I can get a replacement wire. I never thought of doing that since these are pretty old and I am sure they are past warranty.  

Even past warranty, Sennheiser and Shure sell replacement parts. :)