CPU or GPU for VR

Rice Krispie

My computer sucks, and i want to try VR and am wondering whether to upgrade my CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor

or my GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

gpu for sure. It's pretty intesne on the gpu. Something like a 1660 should be pretty good for vr. I don't think the 1050 supports vr.

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

1 hour ago, callmejaccob said:

gpu for sure. It's pretty intesne on the gpu. Something like a 1660 should be pretty good for vr. I don't think the 1050 supports vr.

Thanks, but with my current cpu will it be able to run games like boneworks and half-life Alyx?

22 hours ago, Rice Krispie said:

Thanks, but with my current cpu will it be able to run games like boneworks and half-life Alyx?

That I am unsure of. I do know that if you do not update your gpu, you wont be able to play in vr.

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

On 2/27/2020 at 3:15 PM, Rice Krispie said:

My computer sucks, and i want to try VR and am wondering whether to upgrade my CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor

or my GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

I'd upgrade your GPU since most VR titles are mostly GPU bound...For a while I was using a RX 570 which wasn't ideal but it actually maintained decent frame rates (90 fps) as long as I kept the graphic detail on 'low' to 'medium' settings and used the native (Oculus Rift) resolution in games.

I'm now using a RX 5700 (non XT) and can pretty much max out any VR title as long as I don't turn the multisampling up to something crazy. I'd recommend one of the newer RX 5600XT's with the BIOS updates. It achieves close to 5700 performance for a bit less money. 

If I recall correctly, boneworks recommends at least a 6 core CPU for the game physics, so your quad core may very well struggle. Worse comes to worse though, you can pick up a 6c/12t Ryzen 5 1600 AF which is basically the same as a 2600 but about $20 cheaper or you can get a 3600 (which may require you to perform a BIOS update depending on your motherboard) and be good for a while longer.