Tell me what you think of this budget build for a family member

steelo

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GrFfV7

This is a 'budget' build for a girl who doesn't have a ton of money to spend but wants something that can competently play 1080 resolution games at 60 fps...

there are parts that don't have price data, are you not buying from any local retailers?

if not:

Made some adjustments. Much better PSU, better and cheaper CPU, better ram, better motherboard, and better and cheaper GPU. Not super sure whatto do about the case and SSD.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

there are parts that don't have price data, are you not buying from any local retailers?

if not:

Made some adjustments. Much better PSU, better and cheaper CPU, better ram, better motherboard, and better and cheaper GPU. Not super sure whatto do about the case and SSD.

I advice more ssd storage like 240GB

- Mardax

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

if not:

Thanks, I've only ordered the R5 1400...I was able to find it used and think a 4c/8t CPU should be sufficient for her needs. The other parts, I am scouring around for. I may try to find a used RX 570. Her budget is around $400

2 minutes ago, Mardax007 said:

I advice more ssd storage like 240GB

I was going to use the ssd strictly as a boot drive. She says she cares more about Windows booting quickly and is okay with using a HDD for games, etc.

Just now, steelo said:

.I was able to find it used and think a 4c/8t CPU should be sufficient for her needs.

sufficient sure, but if there's something better for cheaper, you should buy that. Are you buying from the US? Did you buy the CPU used?

1 minute ago, steelo said:

The other parts, I am scouring around for. I may try to find a used RX 570

a used GPU is always a good idea, and the used RX 570 market is pretty ood. There's also a usd GTX 1060 3GB if you want the equivalent on the nvidia side

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

sufficient sure, but if there's something better for cheaper, you should buy that. Are you buying from the US? Did you buy the CPU used?

a used GPU is always a good idea, and the used RX 570 market is pretty ood. There's also a usd GTX 1060 3GB if you want the equivalent on the nvidia side

I am in the US.

Sorry, yes I did find the 1400 used for $60..I looked at the 1600 ae used but the prices on ebay were ridiculous (well over $100 USD). It also looks like the price of the af version of the 1600 was raised by $15...I purchased one about a month ago for $85 on amazon...

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Sorry, yes I did find the 1400 used for $60.

then yeah that's pretty good

in which case, I highly recommend spending extra on that PSU I linked above instead of going for a used one, and check out the motherboard tier list for options regarding the mobo. the better the mobo, the better the upgrade options.

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

then yeah that's pretty good

in which case, I highly recommend spending extra on that PSU I linked above instead of going for a used one, and check out the motherboard tier list for options regarding the mobo. the better the mobo, the better the upgrade options.

I've gone ahead and ordered the PSU you recommended. You're right, the RX 570 market is rather...strange on ebay...here's one that caught my attention:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352969034471

Just now, yaboistar said:

i am

@steelo

Fractal Focus G Mini - remove the foam insert from the front panel and you've got yourself a properly solid little case.

That SSD is meh. Look at getting a WD Green 240GB with the money you save off the case.

This is the case she chose but I haven't ordered it yet...is there anything wrong with the functionality? If so, I can probably convince her to choose another.

Just now, steelo said:

I've gone ahead and ordered the PSU you recommended. You're right, the RX 570 market is rather...strange on ebay...here's one that caught my attention:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352969034471

looks decent, though 89.99 + 9.99 shipping is a bit much for a used RX 570. I say make an offer for $10 or $15 off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1060-XLR8-3GB-VCGGTX10603XGPB-OC-BB/233507572941?epid=23030527515&hash=item365e22cccd%3Ag%3AN-QAAOSweIVeVwXI&LH_ItemCondition=3000&LH_BIN=1

this is also worth bargaining for

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

looks decent, though 89.99 + 9.99 shipping is a bit much for a used RX 570. I say make an offer for $10 or $15 off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1060-XLR8-3GB-VCGGTX10603XGPB-OC-BB/233507572941?epid=23030527515&hash=item365e22cccd%3Ag%3AN-QAAOSweIVeVwXI&LH_ItemCondition=3000&LH_BIN=1

this is also worth bargaining for

I have put in an offer for 79.99, so I'll have to see whether he takes it. I didn't see anything about it being used for mining...that is definitely a worry when shopping for a used GPU because it can be a pain to reflash.

Just now, yaboistar said:

front panel looks pretty restrictive even with the mesh at the sides. it has the "gamer aesthetic" to it but at that pricing none of the RGB components (which 10:1 is why it's been picked) are really gonna be much cop. better to get a good little case now and add whatever fans you like to it later rather than getting a pretty restrictive case now and having to swap it out later.

also - you can save money at this point in time by going mATX hence why i suggested the focus g mini. you're already getting a mATX board, putting one of those in a full size case just looks... off.

LOL...yeah, I'm 99.9% sure that's why she chose it too. The case you mentioned looks to be a good value, I'll run it by her and see what she thinks if I add some RGB components to 'pretty' it up.

27 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

if not:

Let me ask you this...is buying used RAM a very bad idea? I wouldn't purchase a HDD or SSD used but I'm not sure about RAM.

4 minutes ago, steelo said:

Let me ask you this...is buying used RAM a very bad idea? I wouldn't purchase a HDD or SSD used but I'm not sure about RAM.

ram is hard to kill, used DDR4 is a good idea, although often it's barely any cheaper than new DDR4.

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

ram is hard to kill, used ram is a good idea, although often it's barely any cheaper than new ram

true but the price quite similar with the new ones. also if you thought the PSU is little bit pricey for budget. you can drop down to BeQUiet u9 500W tho.  and why dont you go 8GB? for saving money

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

1 minute ago, Wolfycapt said:

thought the PSU is little bit pricey for budget. you can drop down to BeQUiet u9 500W tho

wait, the system power U9 is more expensive than the PSU I picked? I usually opt for the cheapest tier B or higher for these low end builds.

2 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

and why dont you go 8GB? for saving money

double the ram for 25% cost increase is usually worth it

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

wait, the system power U9 is more expensive than the PSU I picked? I usually opt for the cheapest tier B or higher for these low end builds.

double the ram for 25% cost increase is usually worth it

idk the price there actually. in my store the U9 500W chepaer than CX tho.  hm 25% cost seems good tho. 

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

26 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

since you're buying 1st gen ryzen, try and stick to about 2666MHz for the memory you're buying. Zen and Zen+ were very fussy on memory and honestly you might have a time trying to get 3000MHz to work. Even if it is on the QVL.

if 3000 turns out cheaper then get it and see what you can squeeze out of it but be prepared to have to manually set something in at about 2666mhz because it's throwing a screaming hissy fit

I've gone ahead and ordered 16 gb of 2400 mhz DDR4 (dual channel) for $45. I've gone on Ryzen's supported memory page (pinnacle ridge) and it looks like it should be supported.

25 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

2400MHz should work and remember, you can try for 2666 at any time. as a rule of thumb, back the timings off by 1 and it should be OK. if it doesn't work it's more likely to be down to speed compatibility than anything else

What do you mean by 'back the timings off by 1'? 

I've used Typhoon to manually set the timings for 3200mhz DDR4 after upgrading from 2400 mhz. It was not at all fun getting my Ryzen 5 2400g to boot.