Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
steelo

Tell me what you think of this budget build for a family member

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GrFfV7

 

 

This is a 'budget' build for a girl who doesn't have a ton of money to spend but wants something that can competently play 1080 resolution games at 60 fps...

Link to post
Share on other sites

there are parts that don't have price data, are you not buying from any local retailers?

 

if not:

Made some adjustments. Much better PSU, better and cheaper CPU, better ram, better motherboard, and better and cheaper GPU. Not super sure whatto do about the case and SSD.


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

there are parts that don't have price data, are you not buying from any local retailers?

 

if not:

Made some adjustments. Much better PSU, better and cheaper CPU, better ram, better motherboard, and better and cheaper GPU. Not super sure whatto do about the case and SSD.

I advice more ssd storage like 240GB

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

there are parts that don't have price data, are you not buying from any local retailers?

 

if not:

Made some adjustments. Much better PSU, better and cheaper CPU, better ram, better motherboard, and better and cheaper GPU. Not super sure whatto do about the case and SSD.

Thanks, I've only ordered the R5 1400...I was able to find it used and think a 4c/8t CPU should be sufficient for her needs. The other parts, I am scouring around for. I may try to find a used RX 570. Her budget is around $400

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Mardax007 said:

I advice more ssd storage like 240GB

 

I was going to use the ssd strictly as a boot drive. She says she cares more about Windows booting quickly and is okay with using a HDD for games, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steelo said:

.I was able to find it used and think a 4c/8t CPU should be sufficient for her needs.

sufficient sure, but if there's something better for cheaper, you should buy that. Are you buying from the US? Did you buy the CPU used?

 

1 minute ago, steelo said:

The other parts, I am scouring around for. I may try to find a used RX 570

a used GPU is always a good idea, and the used RX 570 market is pretty ood. There's also a usd GTX 1060 3GB if you want the equivalent on the nvidia side


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

sufficient sure, but if there's something better for cheaper, you should buy that. Are you buying from the US? Did you buy the CPU used?

 

a used GPU is always a good idea, and the used RX 570 market is pretty ood. There's also a usd GTX 1060 3GB if you want the equivalent on the nvidia side

I am in the US.

 

Sorry, yes I did find the 1400 used for $60..I looked at the 1600 ae used but the prices on ebay were ridiculous (well over $100 USD). It also looks like the price of the af version of the 1600 was raised by $15...I purchased one about a month ago for $85 on amazon...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steelo said:

Sorry, yes I did find the 1400 used for $60.

then yeah that's pretty good

 

in which case, I highly recommend spending extra on that PSU I linked above instead of going for a used one, and check out the motherboard tier list for options regarding the mobo. the better the mobo, the better the upgrade options.


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Fasauceome said:

then yeah that's pretty good

 

in which case, I highly recommend spending extra on that PSU I linked above instead of going for a used one, and check out the motherboard tier list for options regarding the mobo. the better the mobo, the better the upgrade options.

I've gone ahead and ordered the PSU you recommended. You're right, the RX 570 market is rather...strange on ebay...here's one that caught my attention:

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352969034471

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Not super sure whatto do about the case and SSD.

i am

 

@steelo

 

Fractal Focus G Mini - remove the foam insert from the front panel and you've got yourself a properly solid little case.

That SSD is meh. Look at getting a WD Green 240GB with the money you save off the case. i know it's "just for boot" but larger SSD's are actually quicker and it's most noticeable at 120 --> 240


this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, yaboistar said:

i am

 

@steelo

 

Fractal Focus G Mini - remove the foam insert from the front panel and you've got yourself a properly solid little case.

That SSD is meh. Look at getting a WD Green 240GB with the money you save off the case.

This is the case she chose but I haven't ordered it yet...is there anything wrong with the functionality? If so, I can probably convince her to choose another.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steelo said:

I've gone ahead and ordered the PSU you recommended. You're right, the RX 570 market is rather...strange on ebay...here's one that caught my attention:

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352969034471

looks decent, though 89.99 + 9.99 shipping is a bit much for a used RX 570. I say make an offer for $10 or $15 off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1060-XLR8-3GB-VCGGTX10603XGPB-OC-BB/233507572941?epid=23030527515&hash=item365e22cccd%3Ag%3AN-QAAOSweIVeVwXI&LH_ItemCondition=3000&LH_BIN=1

this is also worth bargaining for


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Fasauceome said:

looks decent, though 89.99 + 9.99 shipping is a bit much for a used RX 570. I say make an offer for $10 or $15 off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1060-XLR8-3GB-VCGGTX10603XGPB-OC-BB/233507572941?epid=23030527515&hash=item365e22cccd%3Ag%3AN-QAAOSweIVeVwXI&LH_ItemCondition=3000&LH_BIN=1

this is also worth bargaining for

I have put in an offer for 79.99, so I'll have to see whether he takes it. I didn't see anything about it being used for mining...that is definitely a worry when shopping for a used GPU because it can be a pain to reflash.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steelo said:

This is the case she chose but I haven't ordered it yet...is there anything wrong with the functionality? If so, I can probably convince her to choose another.

front panel looks pretty restrictive even with the mesh at the sides. it has the "gamer aesthetic" to it but at that pricing none of the RGB components (which 10:1 is why it's been picked) are really gonna be much cop. better to get a good little case now and add whatever fans you like to it later rather than getting a pretty restrictive case now and having to swap it out later.

 

also - you can save money at this point in time by going mATX hence why i suggested the focus g mini. you're already getting a mATX board, putting one of those in a full size case just looks... off.


this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

looks decent, though 89.99 + 9.99 shipping is a bit much for a used RX 570. I say make an offer for $10 or $15 off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1060-XLR8-3GB-VCGGTX10603XGPB-OC-BB/233507572941?epid=23030527515&hash=item365e22cccd%3Ag%3AN-QAAOSweIVeVwXI&LH_ItemCondition=3000&LH_BIN=1

this is also worth bargaining for

swapping out the case for something less gamer-y would probably let them get a 6gb model instead of more SSD storage which is honestly worth the tradeoff


this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, yaboistar said:

front panel looks pretty restrictive even with the mesh at the sides. it has the "gamer aesthetic" to it but at that pricing none of the RGB components (which 10:1 is why it's been picked) are really gonna be much cop. better to get a good little case now and add whatever fans you like to it later rather than getting a pretty restrictive case now and having to swap it out later.

 

also - you can save money at this point in time by going mATX hence why i suggested the focus g mini. you're already getting a mATX board, putting one of those in a full size case just looks... off.

LOL...yeah, I'm 99.9% sure that's why she chose it too. The case you mentioned looks to be a good value, I'll run it by her and see what she thinks if I add some RGB components to 'pretty' it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steelo said:

LOL...yeah, I'm 99.9% sure that's why she chose it too. The case you mentioned looks to be a good value, I'll run it by her and see what she thinks if I add some RGB components to 'pretty' it up.

you can add them at any point later down the line - ARGB strip lighting works VERY well in that case due to the big window on it.

if you get that case you will need to disassemble the front panel and pull the foam insert out to make sure it's not ultra restrictive to airflow, that takes about 20 minutes to do with a set of pliers and it's my only complaint with that case (i own one)


this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
27 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

there are parts that don't have price data, are you not buying from any local retailers?

 

if not:

Made some adjustments. Much better PSU, better and cheaper CPU, better ram, better motherboard, and better and cheaper GPU. Not super sure whatto do about the case and SSD.

Let me ask you this...is buying used RAM a very bad idea? I wouldn't purchase a HDD or SSD used but I'm not sure about RAM.

Link to post
Share on other sites

also, if you want to give the system an rgb cooler without paying out your ass for it - look for a wraith prism RGB on ebay. honestly there's hundreds of the things. they're an absolutely solid cooler and the lighting on them is quite nice. just rememebr to turn the fan to the low setting and plug the RGB control in through USB for full control of it


this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, steelo said:

Let me ask you this...is buying used RAM a very bad idea? I wouldn't purchase a HDD or SSD used but I'm not sure about RAM.

ram is hard to kill, used DDR4 is a good idea, although often it's barely any cheaper than new DDR4.


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steelo said:

Let me ask you this...is buying used RAM a very bad idea? I wouldn't purchase a HDD or SSD used but I'm not sure about RAM.

it either works or it doesn't. buying used RAM is OK from my experience. even buying old DDR2 ram is still okay these days.


this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

since you're buying 1st gen ryzen, try and stick to about 2666MHz for the memory you're buying. Zen and Zen+ were very fussy on memory and honestly you might have a time trying to get 3000MHz to work. Even if it is on the QVL.

 

if 3000 turns out cheaper then get it and see what you can squeeze out of it but be prepared to have to manually set something in at about 2666mhz because it's throwing a screaming hissy fit


this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

ram is hard to kill, used ram is a good idea, although often it's barely any cheaper than new ram

true but the price quite similar with the new ones. also if you thought the PSU is little bit pricey for budget. you can drop down to BeQUiet u9 500W tho.  and why dont you go 8GB? for saving money


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------    Spec: Asus Vivobook S140UN    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

| CPU: i5-8250U Turbo 3.4Ghz | 

| RAM: 8 single-channel DDR4 2333mhz |

| Storage: 128GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB HTSG HDD

 | GPU: MX-150 4Gb 25 TDP |

| Monitor: LGMK430H-B |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wolfycapt said:

thought the PSU is little bit pricey for budget. you can drop down to BeQUiet u9 500W tho

wait, the system power U9 is more expensive than the PSU I picked? I usually opt for the cheapest tier B or higher for these low end builds.

 

2 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

and why dont you go 8GB? for saving money

double the ram for 25% cost increase is usually worth it


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

wait, the system power U9 is more expensive than the PSU I picked? I usually opt for the cheapest tier B or higher for these low end builds.

 

double the ram for 25% cost increase is usually worth it

idk the price there actually. in my store the U9 500W chepaer than CX tho.  hm 25% cost seems good tho. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------    Spec: Asus Vivobook S140UN    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

| CPU: i5-8250U Turbo 3.4Ghz | 

| RAM: 8 single-channel DDR4 2333mhz |

| Storage: 128GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB HTSG HDD

 | GPU: MX-150 4Gb 25 TDP |

| Monitor: LGMK430H-B |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×