Nathan Breese

I just got a free computer with the following components:

-Asus Q87M-E 

-Intel Core i7-4790

-EVGA GeForce GT 640

-16GB RAM

-Two 1TB hard drives

-SparklePower 300W PSU

The computer is from 2013, and I want to do as little as possible to use it for some casual gaming. Any suggestions for what it needs first?

The CPU is good. 

An SSD for the operating system will help a lot to make it feel more responsive and fast. Even just a cheap 250gb SSD will make a huge difference.

Replace the power supply and upgrade the graphics card and it'll be good for gaming.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

CPU is fine tho. just slap RX570 or 1660 ( idk whether is bottleneck or not ). but you gotta replace PSU first. something like CX 550W is okay. and SSD. Adata SX6000 is okay for casual gaming. or SATA SSD like MX500

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

If I buy a used GPU like a 1050ti that only requires a 300W PSU, would I still need to upgrade it? 

I'd say the graphics card will definitely need some upgrading, maybe a 1050ti or a 1060 (with at least 2GB of VRAM, I recommend 4). Also the power supply. It should be good but if you want more performance, then you will want at least a 400W one. This will then come very close to my own personal gaming PC, which is now broken but i wont go into that, which used an AMD ryzen 5 CPU, a 1050ti and a 400W power supply. That system used to run most major games at 60 fps or higher. Also consider adding more fans as both the graphics card and psu upgrades will increase heat by a reasonable amount. Replacing one of the HDDs with a small (maybe a 64 or 128GB) SSD to run the operating system on (i recommend using windows 10, if it is not already installed, to get maximum compatibility) and keep the other HDD for general storage. Since the PC is from 2013, you may also need to upgrade your RAM to DDR4 RAM for compatibility with other components, look into this and if you need to do it you will also need to replace the motherboard as DDR4 RAM will only fit in a DDR4 slot.

Summary:

Upgrades:

Definitely a better GPU, most likely a 1050ti (with at least 2GB of VRAM, I recommend 4)

Higher wattage PSU, not required but probably a good idea for better performance of your GPU and CPU

Possibly a small (64 or 128 GB) SSD to install your operating system on, keeping the HDDs for general              storage

Possible Issues:

Some of these upgrades may require DDR4 RAM (I am assuming that since the PC is from 2013 it is using   DDR3, or even DDR2, depending on the budget it was originally built on, look into this and if a RAM change     is required, you will also need a new motherboard as DDR4 RAM will only fit in a DDR4 slot.

The upgraded power supply and GPU may also create an increased amount of heat which means you will

need more fans

I also recommend using windows 10, if it is not already installed, for maximum game compatibility. 

1 hour ago, Nathan Breese said:

If I buy a used GPU like a 1050ti that only requires a 300W PSU, would I still need to upgrade it? 

If you like the house you live in, yes.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you like the house you live in, yes.

3 hours ago, Nathan Breese said:

Even in cheap/budget builds you NEVER skimp on the power supply. that thing can and will burn your hopes and dreams if you overload it or use a cheap, no name model. and that PSU is old, it may of been rated for 300W when it was new, but not now. But overbuilding can be a problem in terms of efficiency, I would get a 450-600 watt model form the likes of corsair or evga.  

PSU and GPU for sure.

I7 9700k- MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC - Be Quiet Dark Pro 4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 2X8GB - EVGA RTX 2080 TI Black Edition - WD BLACK NVMe M.2 500GB -  EVGA Supernova 650 P2, 80+ Platinum -Nzxt H500 - Display Dell S2721DGF 27" - Keyboard- Razer Huntsman Mini 60%  - Mouse- Logitech G203  - Headset  Astro A50 2019 Edition - Speakers - Logitech Z623