Gtx 1060 3gb with i5 2400?

Pomfrit

Bro 6Gb and 3Gb require same power supply 400W recommended by NVIDIA, real consumption is around 120W under load

6 minutes ago, Ukyo82 said:

Bro 6Gb and 3Gb require same power supply 400W recommended by NVIDIA, real consumption is around 120W under load

So im good i hope :) thnx

1 hour ago, Pomfrit said:

My psu worries me if i go above 3gb vram

More VRAM wont impact the PSU as clock speeds will. Anyway, I hate that this 3GB version of the card exists... it was outdated the moment it was released. I'd say, get the 6GB or some other sort of card - a Radeon 580 or 590 perhaps. They are relatively inexpensive.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Vram isn't going to increase power consumption much. What will is the gpu itself. The more powerfull a card in the linesup (in this case the 1000 series) the more power it draws. Regardless a i5 2400 and 1050ti is as far as I would go. It's best to just start saving for a new system instead of trying to upgrade this one. The 1060 is about 35% more powerfull and that's true but the i5 will hold it back and this will mean that most of the time you won't see any better performance than you had with the 1050ti

You're obviously lacking first hand experience. Whether or not a cpu will be holding the gpu back is dependant on several factors. If the actual setup does go up to 100% gpu regularly the better gpu will give better performance anyway. The cpu may become the bottleneck at times but there will be an increase in fps, he can increase details, post-processing and so on.

2 hours ago, MRRetek said:

No, I wouldn't recommend doing that. The GPU will bottleneck really badly due to the CPU. https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i5-2400/GeForce_GTX_1060/0cN0Velu/16/

Also, depending on which model of the GPU u would like to buy, they use up to 80-90W when playing in 1080p.

Your power PSU would probably be enough, but you would be near the limits

Up to 90w at 1080p, plus the cpu with a tdp of 80w+-, add 50-80w for the surrounding and it's not even close to the 450w limit.

THe better question is: Does the psu provide enough amps on 12v, does it have the pcie-connector needed for the very card?

42 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

You're obviously lacking first hand experience. Whether or not a cpu will be holding the gpu back is dependant on several factors. If the actual setup does go up to 100% gpu regularly the better gpu will give better performance anyway. The cpu may become the bottleneck at times but there will be an increase in fps, he can increase details, post-processing and so on.

Up to 90w at 1080p, plus the cpu with a tdp of 80w+-, add 50-80w for the surrounding and it's not even close to the 450w limit.

THe better question is: Does the psu provide enough amps on 12v, does it have the pcie-connector needed for the very card?

I think it has. Its this one 

it has 6+2

C8546CDA-41B9-448A-9C59-8B151290F7E9.jpeg

honestly I would go cpu or psu and then gpu in that order if you don't want to change the whole setup ... If you go for something high quality for the psu it can last through a lot of systems.  You could look for some old workstations with I7 2600, you might be lucky and find something for really cheap and just swap the cpu then sell what you don't need. 

I had something similar to your setup ... i7 2600, 16 gb ram, rx 470 4gb on an old dell workstation motherboard.  worked fine for a while then I got a deal and changed for something a bit better but I still use the same psu, ram, cpu cooler, fan and case ... When you don't feel the urge to change, those usualy can last a long time.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD