Upgrade from an i3-8100 to i5-9400f or R5-3600

Go to solution Solved by Noah0302,
10 minutes ago, Johnny27 said:

As posted by boggy77, I'm more interest in the cost factor.

I know the AMD upgrade will yield more performance, however I'm thinking of the cost to performance factor as I am working on a budget.

A Tomahawk B450 MAX (Zen 2 ready) mainboard + R5 3600 is about 290$

A 9700f is about 319$

A 9400f is about 150$

I think going AMD is worth it, since youre able to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 or even 9 in the future.

But if you want to get the best bang for your buck right now, a 9400f would probably be the best option.

Hi, I would like to know would it be worth it to upgrade my i3-8100 to either an i5-9400f or a R5-3600. I am currently on an Asus ROG Strix B360g motherboard and would like to upgrade my CPU. My question is what do i choose, the i5-9400f where i can keep my current motherboard or will the performance increase be worth it to go for a full AMD purchase of the R5-3600 with a motherboard? I currently have a GTX 1050 ti which i am going to be upgrading at later stage.

With this graphics card is pointless upgrade in my view, will be big time bottleneck, GTX 1050TI not good in 2020 at all, better save money and buy whole new computer later, wait next gen AMD or Intel who will come out later this year

for performance i would recommend to switch to amd

amd is cheaper per core than intel but intel has better performance per core i would say

most intel 9th generation cpus doesn't have hyperthreading, so amd has the forehand on that

I know the bottneck on the GTX 1050ti will be big, however currently i have no problems on the GTX 1050ti at the moment and as for the GPU upgrade, i will be getting the RX5600xt at the end of the month. Just want to know which CPU would be the better upgrade should one be needed.

*I apologise for not including the the RX5600xt in the first post, thought i had typed it in. (Shouldv'e proof read before clicking submit)

The R5-3600 is a much better chip compared to the i5-9400f, and I think if you went with a new motherboard and that CPU you would be much more future proof. Especially because the Ryzen 4000 series CPUs will still be using the same AM4 socket, giving you that potential upgrade path. 

Yeah you would definitely have a GPU bottleneck when you first upgrade, but if you upgraded your GPU now you would probably have a CPU bottleneck with that i3. And on top of that there have been some really good sales for Ryzen chips recently.

I know the AMD upgrade will yield more performance, however I'm thinking of the cost to performance factor as I am working on a budget.

10 minutes ago, Johnny27 said:

A Tomahawk B450 MAX (Zen 2 ready) mainboard + R5 3600 is about 290$

A 9700f is about 319$

A 9400f is about 150$

I think going AMD is worth it, since youre able to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 or even 9 in the future.

But if you want to get the best bang for your buck right now, a 9400f would probably be the best option.

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

If you go amd you can get some of the cost back by selling your motherboard and cpu on it's own. If you go intel you of course get to keep those parts. Performance wise amd makes more sense and you should end up spending about the same if you sell your old stuff.

Thank you all for your help.

From what i see it would appear to be better to go the AMD route and rather sell my old components.

Wish you all a good one.

Depending on the game the i5 and the r5 will be super similar in performance in which case the i5 is the better deal seeing as you already have a compatibile motherboard. I would honestly lean toward the i5 if I was on a tight budget while I would lean toward the r5 if I was more concerned about future performance. Games are becoming more multicored and in some the difference is showing between the i5 and the r5 and this will likely continue to become more and more common. 

Yes, a Ryzen is worth it. But I suggest to stick with the i3 8100 for a while and utilize the rx5600xt first, the reward will be higher than the switch to the i5 or Ryzen 5 anyway. Even if the i3 will increasingly become the limiting factor, the difference with your actual setup will be noticable.

11 minutes ago, Johnny27 said:

Thank you all for your help.

From what i see it would appear to be better to go the AMD route and rather sell my old components.

Wish you all a good one.

Honestly, considering that you already have a decent motherboard I'd just grab a locked i7 and call it a day. I'd upgrade the entire platform when that i7 becomes not powerful enough for you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White