Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnny27

Upgrade from an i3-8100 to i5-9400f or R5-3600

10 minutes ago, Johnny27 said:

As posted by boggy77, I'm more interest in the cost factor.

I know the AMD upgrade will yield more performance, however I'm thinking of the cost to performance factor as I am working on a budget.

A Tomahawk B450 MAX (Zen 2 ready) mainboard + R5 3600 is about 290$

A 9700f is about 319$

A 9400f is about 150$

I think going AMD is worth it, since youre able to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 or even 9 in the future.

But if you want to get the best bang for your buck right now, a 9400f would probably be the best option.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, I would like to know would it be worth it to upgrade my i3-8100 to either an i5-9400f or a R5-3600. I am currently on an Asus ROG Strix B360g motherboard and would like to upgrade my CPU. My question is what do i choose, the i5-9400f where i can keep my current motherboard or will the performance increase be worth it to go for a full AMD purchase of the R5-3600 with a motherboard? I currently have a GTX 1050 ti which i am going to be upgrading at later stage.

With this graphics card is pointless upgrade in my view, will be big time bottleneck, GTX 1050TI not good in 2020 at all, better save money and buy whole new computer later, wait next gen AMD or Intel who will come out later this year

for performance i would recommend to switch to amd

amd is cheaper per core than intel but intel has better performance per core i would say

most intel 9th generation cpus doesn't have hyperthreading, so amd has the forehand on that

I know the bottneck on the GTX 1050ti will be big, however currently i have no problems on the GTX 1050ti at the moment and as for the GPU upgrade, i will be getting the RX5600xt at the end of the month. Just want to know which CPU would be the better upgrade should one be needed.

*I apologise for not including the the RX5600xt in the first post, thought i had typed it in. (Shouldv'e proof read before clicking submit)

The R5-3600 is a much better chip compared to the i5-9400f, and I think if you went with a new motherboard and that CPU you would be much more future proof. Especially because the Ryzen 4000 series CPUs will still be using the same AM4 socket, giving you that potential upgrade path. 

Yeah you would definitely have a GPU bottleneck when you first upgrade, but if you upgraded your GPU now you would probably have a CPU bottleneck with that i3. And on top of that there have been some really good sales for Ryzen chips recently.

I know the AMD upgrade will yield more performance, however I'm thinking of the cost to performance factor as I am working on a budget.

Posted · Best Answer
10 minutes ago, Johnny27 said:

A Tomahawk B450 MAX (Zen 2 ready) mainboard + R5 3600 is about 290$

A 9700f is about 319$

A 9400f is about 150$

I think going AMD is worth it, since youre able to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 or even 9 in the future.

But if you want to get the best bang for your buck right now, a 9400f would probably be the best option.

My Gaming PC:
Asus Strix RTX 2080 2150MHz core, 8000MHz memory
i7 8700k @4.95GHz delid + a fuckton of voltage (1.36V LLC6, yeah its a below average OCer) - NZXT x72
G.Skill Trident Z @3450MHz 32GB CL15 (3466 and 3200 mixed CL16) OC
Asus Maximus X Hero
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB (Windows)
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (Games)
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (Stuff)
Seagate Expension Desk 4TB (Shadowplay and Backups)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11Dynamic
ROG SWIFT PG258Q  240hz

Razer Viper Ultimate / Endgame Gear XM1 / Logitech G Pro Wireless (Corepad Skatez) 
Ducky One 2 TKL RGB MX Blue/Silver (One 2 Mecha Mini soon?)

My Silent Multimedia PC:

Ryzen 2700 @4GHz 1.337V - Noctua NH-D15

Powecolor RX 5700 XT Red Devil 2030MHz Core, 935MHz Memory, undervolt

G.Skill Aegis 3200MHz (3000 kit)

MSI B450 Pro Carbon

Kingston A400 240GB (Windows) + 480GB (Games)

Corsair RM-650

Be Quiet Silent Base 601 with 1x 140mm Noctua exhaust from my D15

Samsung Q60R (4k 60hz for Windows, 1440p 120hz Freesync for gaming)

Logitech G Pro Wireless

Ducky One 2 Mini MX RED

If you go amd you can get some of the cost back by selling your motherboard and cpu on it's own. If you go intel you of course get to keep those parts. Performance wise amd makes more sense and you should end up spending about the same if you sell your old stuff.

Thank you all for your help.

From what i see it would appear to be better to go the AMD route and rather sell my old components.

Wish you all a good one.

Depending on the game the i5 and the r5 will be super similar in performance in which case the i5 is the better deal seeing as you already have a compatibile motherboard. I would honestly lean toward the i5 if I was on a tight budget while I would lean toward the r5 if I was more concerned about future performance. Games are becoming more multicored and in some the difference is showing between the i5 and the r5 and this will likely continue to become more and more common. 

Yes, a Ryzen is worth it. But I suggest to stick with the i3 8100 for a while and utilize the rx5600xt first, the reward will be higher than the switch to the i5 or Ryzen 5 anyway. Even if the i3 will increasingly become the limiting factor, the difference with your actual setup will be noticable.

11 minutes ago, Johnny27 said:

Thank you all for your help.

From what i see it would appear to be better to go the AMD route and rather sell my old components.

Wish you all a good one.

Honestly, considering that you already have a decent motherboard I'd just grab a locked i7 and call it a day. I'd upgrade the entire platform when that i7 becomes not powerful enough for you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO 11GB GDDR5X Motherboard: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4 3333MHz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White
Displays: AORUS AD27QD, DELL UltraSharp U2711 Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, ADATA SP550 240GB M.2, Kingston UV400 240GB, WD Red 2TB & 1TB
Laptop: Acer Nitro 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X 4GB RAM: 16GB Storage: 240GB M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD Display: 15.6" IPS