Asus RT-AC68U Wireless has very poor range

nicolaidenmark

Hi all,

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the wireless range of my router has gone really, really bad. Previously inj my bedroom I could easily pull 60 Mbit up and down (My optical fiber is 110 / 110) but now I get between 1.5 and 4 Mbit down and as low as 0.17 mbit up???

Naturally, I have tried resetting my network all over again but no change. If I'm next to the router in my office with my phone on wireless, the phone will pull 1xx mbit down and up. If I go into my living room next to my office, the wireless is still decent with about 70 mbit but this is still less than before where the router gave me awesome range (the reason I bought it in the first place).

Something is definitely not right here. At first, I thought it was my phone acting up but same story with my Ipad so must be router related.

I also tried updating the firmware of the router but this didn't help either (current vers. being 3.0.4.4.585_2252) Neither did downgrading to 3.0.0.4.384_45717-gadd52a8

Through google, I have read a post about a chip going bad in this model, however, I don't know if it's a common problem.

I also tried following the instructions attached with regards to a reset, but no dice.

I use the 2.4G band is this is supposed to have a wider range.

Would appreciate any help,

tip.JPG

Edited by nicolaidenmark

23 minutes ago, nicolaidenmark said:

Would appreciate any help

I cannot find a product called RC68U. Do you actually mean RT-AC68U? If so, are you using the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz band?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I cannot find a product called RC68U. Do you actually mean RT-AC68U? If so, are you using the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz band?

I have answered your question in an edit of the original post.