Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PartyOf1WOOHOO

New Build in Ireland

Posted · Original PosterOP

Cead Mile Failte from Ireland!

So I am a total newb to PC build inspired by LinusTT you tube vids. I have a home music production studio set up & LUV to game. I had been planning to buy the Xbox One X but also needed a desktop for the music side of things as well as day to day tasks. When all considered I thought build was the way to go and forget about Xbox. I want a system that is up to date & more or less future proof for my needs. It must be silent for recording. Will be running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. A max budget of €1500 (USD$1650) With that in mind the following is where I am at.

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master or Asus ROG Strix X570-E

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1060 (Got a great deal on this)

RAM: 2x16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz (Although thinking on splurging on the RGB ?)

SSD: 2 x 1TB Crucial 2280ss M.2 Cards

HDD: 2x Seagate Firecuda 2.5" 2TB

GPU Support Bracket: UpHere RGB

PSU: Cordair RM750X 80+ Gold

I am looking for advice for the following:

1. Which of the 2 motherboards would be the better choice?

2. What RGB Fans would you guys recommend to bling out my case? ???

3. Have I selected the best power supply for my purposes with enough headroom to upgrade the GPU in time?

4. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for looking and any input very much welcome & appreciated!!! ??

1. I prefer Asus BIOSes and it is 90€ cheaper in Germany, dont know about Ireland though!

2. I think the best looking RGB fans are the Corsair LL120, but they are expensive

3. Yes, my whole system with a OCed 8700k and OCed 2080 is drawing 450W max, so youre 100% good there

Tech Yes City also made a video about running a 3950x and a 2080ti on a 450W PSU

My Gaming PC:
Asus Strix RTX 2080 2150MHz core, 8000MHz memory
i7 8700k @4.95GHz delid + a fuckton of voltage (1.36V LLC6, yeah its a below average OCer) - NZXT x72
G.Skill Trident Z @3450MHz 32GB CL15 (3466 and 3200 mixed CL16) OC
Asus Maximus X Hero
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB (Windows)
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (Games)
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (Stuff)
Seagate Expension Desk 4TB (Shadowplay and Backups)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11Dynamic
ROG SWIFT PG258Q  240hz

Razer Viper Ultimate / Endgame Gear XM1 / Logitech G Pro Wireless (Corepad Skatez) 
Ducky One 2 TKL RGB MX Blue/Silver (One 2 Mecha Mini soon?)

My Silent Multimedia PC:

Ryzen 2700 @4GHz 1.337V - Noctua NH-D15

Powecolor RX 5700 XT Red Devil 2030MHz Core, 935MHz Memory, undervolt

G.Skill Aegis 3200MHz (3000 kit)

MSI B450 Pro Carbon

Kingston A400 240GB (Windows) + 480GB (Games)

Corsair RM-650

Be Quiet Silent Base 601 with 1x 140mm Noctua exhaust from my D15

Samsung Q60R (4k 60hz for Windows, 1440p 120hz Freesync for gaming)

Logitech G Pro Wireless

Ducky One 2 Mini MX RED

Honestly, since its your first build you did a pretty good job.

But since you are recording and it needs to be silent, i wouldn't use the mechanical drives other than when you are done.

My experience with a DJ i used to help was that when recording the mechanical drives were present (to the trained ear ofcourse).

Also the firecuda's you've picked are 5400rpm, sure they have an SSD in them to speed up the performance, but if you're going to transfer larger files, it might slow down (don't have actual experience with them).

You also haven't listed an aftermarket CPU cooler, is this intended? If you want silent, you probably want to go with an aftermarket. I'm not into RGB, and thus my experience can only recommend a Dark Rock Pro.

1: It depends. Gigabyte makes higher quality X570 boards compared to Asus. But Asus BIOS is much better to work with if you're into high end overclocking.

2: @Noah0302 is totally right, high quality RGB fans are very expensive. I would also add installation difficulty. You will need dedicated controllers + Software to control all of it. So if you're willing to spend 200+ euros on a set of RGB fans, be prepared to spend a decent amount of time connecting a metric ton of wires.  Going with cheap RGB fans isn't really an option because you need a silent system.

3: Yes, you've selected an overkill. You can easily get away with 550W PSU in a single GPU system. But then again, I'm also running 750W EVGA PSU only because I got a mad deal on it.

4: I would get SSDs only. Mechanical drives will create noise which you obviously don't need in your recordings. 

Main system: i7 8700k 5Ghz / Asus Prime Z370-A / Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000Mhz / Gigabyte RTX2080 Aorus Extreme / EVGA 750W GQ / Fractal Design Meshify C

35 minutes ago, Noah0302 said:

1. I prefer Asus BIOSes and it is 90€ cheaper in Germany, dont know about Ireland though!

2. I think the best looking RGB fans are the Corsair LL120, but they are expensive

3. Yes, my whole system with a OCed 8700k and OCed 2080 is drawing 450W max, so youre 100% good there

Tech Yes City also made a video about running a 3950x and a 2080ti on a 450W PSU

The Gigabyte Bios appears, by research, to be ok. I am leaning towards this one at the minute. The features of both very similar so really just price, looks and the Bios. Gigabyte has it on the first 2.

I looked at the Corsair fans & I agree. I think I will put on the back burner for now and wait till I have a few more shekels to waste....I mean invest ?

Thanks a million for the feedback, really appreciated!

31 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

Honestly, since its your first build you did a pretty good job.

But since you are recording and it needs to be silent, i wouldn't use the mechanical drives other than when you are done.

My experience with a DJ i used to help was that when recording the mechanical drives were present (to the trained ear ofcourse).

Also the firecuda's you've picked are 5400rpm, sure they have an SSD in them to speed up the performance, but if you're going to transfer larger files, it might slow down (don't have actual experience with them).

You also haven't listed an aftermarket CPU cooler, is this intended? If you want silent, you probably want to go with an aftermarket. I'm not into RGB, and thus my experience can only recommend a Dark Rock Pro.

I had considered that and was a bit indecisive. But you are right. I will go all SSD. Re aftermarket cooler, I did a lot of research, the Wraith appears to be quiet enough so long as I am not overclocking. Which I will not be doing in the for the foreseeable future as I know feck all about it ?. Apparently it can then become quite noisy. I had selected the Be quiet Dark Rock Pro4 early on but after research decided to wait and see how Wraith performs. I will refer to DRP4 if the Wraith proves to noisy. So snap on that one lad!

Also, thanks for the advice & feedback, really appreciate it!

34 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

1: It depends. Gigabyte makes higher quality X570 boards compared to Asus. But Asus BIOS is much better to work with if you're into high end overclocking.

2: @Noah0302 is totally right, high quality RGB fans are very expensive. I would also add installation difficulty. You will need dedicated controllers + Software to control all of it. So if you're willing to spend 200+ euros on a set of RGB fans, be prepared to spend a decent amount of time connecting a metric ton of wires.  Going with cheap RGB fans isn't really an option because you need a silent system.

3: Yes, you've selected an overkill. You can easily get away with 550W PSU in a single GPU system. But then again, I'm also running 750W EVGA PSU only because I got a mad deal on it.

4: I would get SSDs only. Mechanical drives will create noise which you obviously don't need in your recordings. 

You have made my mind up. I am not into overclocking and won't be for the foreseeable future, the research I had done had me leaning to the Gigabyte. I think you may also be right about the RGB, it does a look a little complicated as well as expensive. I will wait for a while and just install some Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 for now. Also agree on the SSD's.

Thank you for the advice & the feedback, really appreciate it!

7 minutes ago, PartyOf1WOOHOO said:

I had considered that and was a bit indecisive. But you are right. I will go all SSD. Re aftermarket cooler, I did a lot of research, the Wraith appears to be quiet enough so long as I am not overclocking. Which I will not be doing in the for the foreseeable future as I know feck all about it ?. Apparently it can then become quite noisy. I had selected the Be quiet Dark Rock Pro4 early on but after research decided to wait and see how Wraith performs. I will refer to DRP4 if the Wraith proves to noisy. So snap on that one lad!

Also, thanks for the advice & feedback, really appreciate it!

i think with this setup and advice, the only thing you need to look out for is the drag the air creates.

Just like with water cooling radiator setups, the drag is what creates most noise. Turn them to a low rpm to prevent this. Should be fairly easy to configure tho.

25 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

i think with this setup and advice, the only thing you need to look out for is the drag the air creates.

Just like with water cooling radiator setups, the drag is what creates most noise. Turn them to a low rpm to prevent this. Should be fairly easy to configure tho.

Thanks for that. Good tip & point. I will do that!

Thanks again ??