Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snowarch

would Vms run better on a light gui host?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I was gonna install ubuntu as my main os, but since id need Remix, mac, and occasionally windows for when ubuntu has a game that will juat not run. I'd have 3 vms. Make that 4 if i have a ubuntu as my main in a vm, so would it be better to install something light as possible like puppy if it has a version of virtual box and have 4 vms  or keep ubuntu as a main and go 3? id run only one at a time, have 16gb ram, and 6 cores of 4.0 or close to it with no oc. Sorry if this is in wrong place. was here or os page.

main rig: 8086k @ 4.00ghz, 750 watt psu gold, axle p106-100, Z390 taichi ultimate, 2x8gb corsair vengence 2400 @2133 speed, focus G black, ubuntu 16.04 os. mugen 5 rev b, 860 evo 1tb

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop

18 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

so would it be better to install something light as possible like puppy if it has a version of virtual box and have 4 vms  or keep ubuntu as a main and go 3?

Since you'll be interacting with the VM instead of the host-OS GUI, it doesn't really make any difference -- Ubuntu, by default, uses GNOME3 and it isn't constantly doing something in the background, drawing on the desktop or such. The only thing a less lightweight solution does is use RAM, but you have 16GB of it, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

thing is, i'd be interacting with the host if ubuntu wasn't in a vm. But if using puppy i'd not use puppy at all, just it'd be a host for whatever vm i'd use with only the game open. if using ubuntu as a host id have music, discord which uses an oddly high ammount of resources, and usually some other app in ubuntu and the game in the vm. @WereCatf

main rig: 8086k @ 4.00ghz, 750 watt psu gold, axle p106-100, Z390 taichi ultimate, 2x8gb corsair vengence 2400 @2133 speed, focus G black, ubuntu 16.04 os. mugen 5 rev b, 860 evo 1tb

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop

and with really high settings and only a 1060/p106 i need all the gaming resources i can spare.

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop

okay nevermind. reread that, going ubuntu see your point. 1ram gb won't make a diffrence. whats a safe thread/ram amount to give the vm while running.

i know on my laptop (1.1ghz quadcore 8gb ram) that has ubuntu i can give 3 cores 6000mb ram and be fine unless its windows 10 in a vm. that will freeze my pc during vm boot for a bit then be fine. yet this was faster than native win10 when i had duelboot. kinda funny.

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop

Going with a reputable distribution of GNU/Linux you're already off to a better start than using Windows as the hypervisor.

I admit I have not tried Oracle VM VirtualBox on Linux but if you want high performance virtualization look into QEMU. I have a tutorial or two on how to set it up. It can be configured to give your VMs very near native performance even under high computational loads.

If you don't need GPU pass-though or Audio you can skip all of those steps and just setup QEMU and follow the Performance Optimization section.

Guides & Tutorials:

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

A Beginners Guide to Servers

In the Queue:

[Taking Suggestions]

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

virtual box has worked near out of the box on my laptop. sound never bugs or net. This gpu pass through, ive never had a graphics card until now, only integrated so does that work on virtual box? the card pass?

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop

44 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

virtual box has worked near out of the box on my laptop. sound never bugs or net. This gpu pass through, ive never had a graphics card until now, only integrated so does that work on virtual box? the card pass?

VirtualBox does have a PCI Passthrough extension so theoretically it *should* work doing VFIO passthrough but in practice I think its a very tricky thing to get going. 

You of course need to have a system that supports IOMMU (VT-d/AMD-Vi) and directed pages (VT-x/AMD-V), you need to enable IOMMU, you then need your kernel to support IOMMU (I believe the latest Ubuntu's do this OOTB), You then need to install VirtualBox and the extension package for VFIO PCI Passthrough. Then you should be able to attach the GPU by its IOMMU group number to the VM. It would have to be a secondary card also since your card would be in use by Ubuntu. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen 7 2700x | Aorus X470 Gaming Ultra | EVGA RTX2080 Super | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz | Corsair H105 AIO, NZXT Sentry 3 | Corsair SP120's | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe, 4TB WD Black | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Corsair RM650v2 PSU | LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Ducky Shine 3 Keyboard, Logitech G502, MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers, Razer Goliathus Extended, X360 Controller | Windows 10 Pro | SteelSeries Siberia 350 Headphones

Spoiler

Server 1: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM650v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 10 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Server 2: Corsair 400R | IcyDock MB998SP & MB455SPF | Seasonic Focus Plus 650w PSU | 2 x Xeon X5650's | 48GB DDR3-ECC | Asus Z8NA-D6C Motherboard | AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 | LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i | RES2SV240 SAS Expander | Samsung 840Evo 120GB | 5 x 8TB Seagate Archives | 10 x 3TB WD Red

wait will that crash my system? P106 is already passing through with intel graphics or should be if its same as windows version. ill let you know if i can even get host installed

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop