Ryzen 7 2700 - vcore normal?

Hi.

Have a Ryzen 7 2700 (non-x) on a Gigabyte B450 Elite motherboard. Not presently overclocked, running on a balanced powerplan in Windows.

I'm just wondering about the core voltage which doesn't seem to drop the much when it is sitting in idle. It goes as low as 0,780 but only shortly and mostly stays in the 1,2-1,3ish range and I think that's a lot. To be honest, I'm mostly concerned about the powerbill.

Could we not agree that it should stay below 1v when idle?

There are no background processes runnning or anything else that could warrant the, in my opinion, high voltage. The way to describe it is, very nervous in fact. Core clock flucturates wildly between 1,5-4 GHz literally every second. It's like it doesn't want to slow down to catch a breath. I know it is supposed to move up and down quickly, but i would not expect it to do so violently.

Setting the power plan to save power will get the results i'd expect, but then it clocks itself solidly at 1,5 GHz and won't really boost when loaded, so it's not really a solution for me either.

Should probably attempt to reset BIOS in the near future. Oh, and I'm measuring vCore in CPU-z. I've heard monitoring software artificially probes the cores, making them think there's an actual load on the chip.

If you guys have a similar setup could you give me your readings?

• CPU - Ryzen 7 2700
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
  • RAM - 2x 8GB Corsair DDR4-3200 MHZ Vengeance Pro
  • GPU - XFX Radeon RX590 8GB
  • Case - Fractal Design Focus G (because optical drive!)
  • Storage - Kingston A1000 256 NVMe System drive / 2TB Seagate HDD / ASUS generic optical drive
  • PSU - Cooler Master MWE Gold 550W modular
  • Cooling - 2x Cooler Master MF140R (in) / 4x Cooler Master MF120R (out)
  • Keyboard - Corsair K55
  • Mouse - HyperX Fury
  • Sound - 1969 Kenwood KA-4000 analogue amplifier coupled to 2x Dantax STR floor speakers
  • Operating System - Windows 10 Professional 64 bit
  • Laptop - Lenovo V130 series business laptop

Same deal in Ryzen Master, did not go below 1,025 after a minute of idling.

• CPU - Ryzen 7 2700
  • Storage - Kingston A1000 256 NVMe System drive / 2TB Seagate HDD / ASUS generic optical drive
  • Keyboard - Corsair K55
  • Mouse - HyperX Fury
  • Sound - 1969 Kenwood KA-4000 analogue amplifier coupled to 2x Dantax STR floor speakers

I'm on a 2700 as well. 1.3V is fine 1.4 is the max AMD recommends for an overclock. 

the power usage is minimal

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, DansihBudgetGamer said:

Same deal in Ryzen Master, did not go below 1,025 after a minute of idling.

So you don't see cores park/sleep?

Well it looks like this - some go down to 1,7 while others ramp up a little more, getting a little more green. They never get inactive and they flucturate every second, ramping up to 3,8-4 ish Ghz.

Just reverted to default BIOS settings as well for good measure.

Nyt bitmapbillede (7).bmp

• CPU - Ryzen 7 2700
  • Keyboard - Corsair K55
  • Mouse - HyperX Fury

14 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I'm on a 2700 as well. 1.3V is fine 1.4 is the max AMD recommends for an overclock. 

the power usage is minimal

I'm merely trying to determine if it's normal for the chip to be so 'busy' when doing nothing. Could you tell me what your chip is doing when not doing anything?

Also good to know 1,4 is the max as I might have pushed it a little over that trying to break 4,1. Hehe.

• CPU - Ryzen 7 2700
  • Keyboard - Corsair K55
  • Mouse - HyperX Fury

I am indeed. As well as the latest version on Windows. GPU drivers as well. I take high pride in that.

Next step will probably be a Windows install. I also lack the "Ryzen Balanced Power Plan" in the Windows options.

• CPU - Ryzen 7 2700
  • Keyboard - Corsair K55
  • Mouse - HyperX Fury

35 minutes ago, DansihBudgetGamer said:

I'm merely trying to determine if it's normal for the chip to be so 'busy' when doing nothing. Could you tell me what your chip is doing when not doing anything?

Also good to know 1,4 is the max as I might have pushed it a little over that trying to break 4,1. Hehe.

1.4V run 24/7 will be harmful for the cheap and will degrade faster. Recommend to try and stay around 1.35V (this all only counts if you are manually OC’ing). 

if the chip is not OC’d and just running stock (recommend you do activate xmp profile for ram) I wouldn’t worry much. Chips will do their things; make sure temps are in check 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Yeah. I’m just running Stock at the moment. There’s not really anything that I am currently playing that tends to brother the CPU that much. 

Only thing I really OC for is BeamNG, which even with an all core of 4 GHz still don’t run properly if you load multiple cars

• CPU - Ryzen 7 2700
  • Keyboard - Corsair K55
  • Mouse - HyperX Fury

Could my issue have something to do with HPET being disabled?

• CPU - Ryzen 7 2700
  • Keyboard - Corsair K55
  • Mouse - HyperX Fury

Issue seems to be rooted with iCue. I've now uninstalled it and CPU rolls down to .780 v right away.

RAM can be controlled with Gigabyte software but keyboard is now stuck in the awful RGB wave. I want a solid white...

• CPU - Ryzen 7 2700
  • Keyboard - Corsair K55
  • Mouse - HyperX Fury

7 hours ago, DansihBudgetGamer said:

I also lack the "Ryzen Balanced Power Plan" in the Windows options.

I had this issue when i upgraded from a 1600x to a 3600x, meant the chipset drivers didn't install properly even though it would appear so.

The only fix i could muster after multiple uninstalls/cleans was a fresh windows install. Worked perfect afterwards.

7 hours ago, DansihBudgetGamer said:

Yeah. I’m just running Stock at the moment. There’s not really anything that I am currently playing that tends to brother the CPU that much. 

Only thing I really OC for is BeamNG, which even with an all core of 4 GHz still don’t run properly if you load multiple cars

Beam NGDrive should be normal when spawn too many vehicles and some vehicles just dont work properly either.

My kid loves this game.

Runs good on Ryzen 1400 with a GTX 980. 

Im pretty certain your hardware is fine, its just the way the game is.