Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chawndi

Audio coming from only the left side of my headphones.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So recently I picked up a RODE NTA-1 And a behringer UMC22 to pair it with. Out the box it worked great and I've loved it, made some adjustments to quality and so forth.

I decided to change the audio quality to 2 channel, 16 bit 48000hz, dvd quality. It was originally on one channel.

When I change it to 2 instead of 1, when I play back anything or record anything the audio only comes from one side of my ear, yet for people on discord per say, hear it from both. 

Is this something on my end I'd need to adjust so my microphone will produce audio to both sides of the headphones if played back from a recording, e.g shadowplay, audacity?

Edit: Or is this something I don't necessarily need to worry about and doesn't make much of a noticeable difference?

12 hours ago, chawndi said:

So recently I picked up a RODE NTA-1 And a behringer UMC22 to pair it with. Out the box it worked great and I've loved it, made some adjustments to quality and so forth.

I decided to change the audio quality to 2 channel, 16 bit 48000hz, dvd quality. It was originally on one channel.

When I change it to 2 instead of 1, when I play back anything or record anything the audio only comes from one side of my ear, yet for people on discord per say, hear it from both. 

Is this something on my end I'd need to adjust so my microphone will produce audio to both sides of the headphones if played back from a recording, e.g shadowplay, audacity?

Edit: Or is this something I don't necessarily need to worry about and doesn't make much of a noticeable difference?

A XLR Microphone is a mono input, most interfaces will pan each input L/R so you can record two sources at once while retaining the ability to edit / isolate them in post.

The reasons it maps to stereo in Discord is because Discord forces every signal to mono, for better or for worse.

Typically not an issue when a mic is mapped to 1 channel as most popular programs (Discord, OBS, etc) give you the option to 'fix' that or force it to stereo. Though in some cases you may want a single mic mapped to both the L/R channel, which can be found as a feature on higher end interfaces, and or can be forced if you have analog signal to work with.

That being said, it doesn't increase quality at all, you're simply mapping the exact same signal to both channels.

Main PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | Asus TUF X299 MARK 1 | 7900X | RTX 2080ti + GT 1050 | Trident Z (4x8GB) | 1TB 600p, 1TB EX920, 2TB 860 QVO | HX1200i

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | 1950X | GTX 1050 | Trident Z (4x8GB) | 1TB 660p | HX850

Capture PC: CR1080 | Asus X99-E | 6800K | GTX 1080 | Trident Z (4x8GB) | 1TB 860 EVO | Magewell HDMI 4K+, Avermedia 4K, Elgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | 2xKoolance PMP-500 | 4xEK SE560 | 16x Phanteks PH-F140MP  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | Logitech G915 | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 & Logitech MX Master 2s | Logitech MX Keys

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA & Kenowa CNC-1080P & Asus VH242H Asus VC39H

Audio: RME Fireface UCX & RME Fireface UC & Scarlett 2i2 & Mackie ProFX12v2 | 2xYamaha HS5 | Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser 598

Full setup - PC Part Picker / Pics: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ZrWD4D | https://imgur.com/gallery/ZinwYhttps://imgur.com/gallery/yLcZ3 (Needs updating)