Upgrade my old Toshiba p755-s5215

Hey everyone, this is my first post so thanks for having me! Ok... yeah before everyone says buy a new laptop.... I have new laptops... I have had this old Toshiba P755-s5215 for a long time and its a tank and had been the best laptop I ever had. Its 8 years old and is still 100% usable for web surfing and youtube etc. Anyways. I want to upgrade it as much as possible, I have ordered a 500gb crucial MX500 SSD, 8 GB kit of ram to upgrade from the 6gb it came with etc. What I am curious about is if its possible to upgrade the CPU from the i3-2310m to a i7-2620m? Same socket and all. However I dont think the p755 series ever came with  the i7-2620m.   Im tempted to just try it but was wondering if anyone has ever done it. Im certain I can upgrade to i5 2410m, but would rather go with the i7.

considering the socket for all 3 is the same, initially the features like turbo boost may be a problem but since you said the i5 works, i also did some looking up on Intel's website, could not find a reason for it not to work. Though it may happen that some processor features will be restricted (cant assure)

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

It could work.... but if its not compatible with the BIOS... its a crap shoot. Im gonna update the BIOS and yolo it. If it doesnt work I will resell the i7 and buy a i5. 

well...I will let yall know tomorrow how it goes. Going to clone my HDD to this SSD tonight and tomorrow I am gonna tear it down for RAM, SSD and hopefully CPU upgrades. If all else fails I will at least be rid of this slow HHD!! I doubt I will see much difference in the additional 2gb of DDR3.

So. I got the SSD in and 8gb of ram. Man its way faster. Went from forever to boot to 18 second boot time to windows 10. Gonna do the cpu swap next. Wish me luck. Hopefully it boots lol. I cant find anyone else that did this particular cpu swap on this laptop. 

Well I can confirm! i7-2620m will indeed work fine on Toshiba p755s!  It turbos fine and performs well for older hardware! I guess that's about all I can do to this old dinosaur haha.  I should have tested it before the upgrades. oh well haha. I am happy with it so far as the upgrades have at least made it usable!

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25090028

• 6 months later...
On 2/29/2020 at 9:42 PM, spudzTTA said:

Well I can confirm! i7-2620m will indeed work fine on Toshiba p755s!  It turbos fine and performs well for older hardware! I guess that's about all I can do to this old dinosaur haha.  I should have tested it before the upgrades. oh well haha. I am happy with it so far as the upgrades have at least made it usable!

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25090028

SpudzTTA, did you have to do any changes on BIOS, or drivers, or download of new drivers??, I've got the opportunity to do the same upgrade as you in my P755. Could you tell me all the changes you had to do so the I7 and it's turbo could run just fine?

Did you do any undervolt also??, Is it available to do on directly on BIOS??

Best regards

Ars1997

• 4 months later...

OH MAN!!!   I have been thinking about upgrading my p755-S5215 from the core i3-2310m to a core I5-2410m, but if there's a chance that a core i7-2620m will work i'm gonna give it a try...especially since I can get the core i7-2620m for around $20.

Came across this forum after googling the cpu upgrade in my father's laptop.  He has a Toshiba P755-S5320 laptop that I think I purchased for him in late 2011 or 2012.  I've already swapped out the hard drive to and SSD and upgraded the RAM to 8GB, and I was about to start the hunt for a new computer when I thought of upgrading the CPU, which I had assumed was soldered on and not upgradeable.

He has a Intel Core i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz.  Is it possible to upgrade this?  If so, someone mentioned that they can get a Core i7-2620m for about $20.  Is this available to purchase online for that price, and if so, where?  Is this the best possible CPU I could install, or is there something better?  Would I need to make a bunch of upgrades to the software/drivers or can I just open the laptop up and swap it out easily myself?  Thank you so much for any responses.

• 8 months later...
On 1/30/2021 at 11:14 AM, American Chewie said:

Came across this forum after googling the cpu upgrade in my father's laptop.  He has a Toshiba P755-S5320 laptop that I think I purchased for him in late 2011 or 2012.  I've already swapped out the hard drive to and SSD and upgraded the RAM to 8GB, and I was about to start the hunt for a new computer when I thought of upgrading the CPU, which I had assumed was soldered on and not upgradeable.

He has a Intel Core i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz.  Is it possible to upgrade this?  If so, someone mentioned that they can get a Core i7-2620m for about $20.  Is this available to purchase online for that price, and if so, where?  Is this the best possible CPU I could install, or is there something better?  Would I need to make a bunch of upgrades to the software/drivers or can I just open the laptop up and swap it out easily myself?  Thank you so much for any responses.

Sorry so late. The i7-2620m is the best it will take.  Ebay is your best bet for a deal.  If your capable of tear down, its just as simple as swapping it out, reapplying thermal paste and clean it while your in there.