Bottleneck Bashing

Haztec

Hello, I built my PC recently using some of the cheapest new parts I could get my hands on, including a ryzen 3 1200 and an RX 570. For upgradeablity on a mobo with only two dimms, I bought a one by 8 GB 3000MHz RAM. However, I am noticing some stuttering in games. There is a CPU bottleneck here, well depending on the game of course, but in siege and CS I am noticing a bit of stuttering (mostly in siege, interesting only on DirectX not vulcan). When I open MSI afterburner, I notice the CPU is pinned which is causing the stuttering and that the GPU fluctuates from 100% and a very low usage. I get better frames on Ultra, which is a classic sign of a CPU bottleneck. As I can't overclock it, would buying another of stick of the same RAM improve my performance and stop the stuttering (from FPS drops). Also CS is like 70% CPU and 50% GPU if that helps.

17 minutes ago, Haztec said:

As I can't overclock it, would buying another of stick of the same RAM improve my performance and stop the stuttering (from FPS drops). Also CS is like 70% CPU and 50% GPU if that helps.

yes, a second dimm would help performance. Ryzen performance is sensitive to memory bandwidth, so a single channel config hurts a lot.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

yes, a second dimm would help performance. Ryzen performance is sensitive to memory bandwidth, so a single channel config hurts a lot.

24 minutes ago, Haztec said:

Would it prevent stuttering (fps drops)?

depends on your performance target in the game. If you're not targeting super high refresh rates in CS:GO then your performance will be pretty greatly improved. However, rainbow 6 siege can utilize a lot of cores so you might still see some stutters in that game.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

depends on your performance target in the game. If you're not targeting super high refresh rates in CS:GO then your performance will be pretty greatly improved. However, rainbow 6 siege can utilize a lot of cores so you might still see some stutters in that game.

Yeah 60Hz 1080p is all I want. Do you know of any settings in the game that use CPU usage which I could help turn off to decrease fps drops?

2 minutes ago, Haztec said:

Yeah 60Hz 1080p is all I want. Do you know of any settings in the game that use CPU usage which I could help turn off to decrease fps drops?

unfortunately I don't know the exact ones but it's worth experimenting to see what works for you

Primary PC:

On 2/26/2020 at 2:38 PM, Haztec said:

I bought a one by 8 GB 3000MHz RAM

I would try one more stick of ram, running in single channel mode instead of dual channel can hurt gaming performance a bit.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches