Bottleneck too bad?

VHS_Tape

So I have a GT 730 rn and I want to upgrade it to the RX 580 but I have an i3 3210 and buying a whole new CPU will take like 4 years. How much will the bottleneck affect the fps? I have tried the bottleneck calculators online and they gave me very bad results, I don't know if I should trust them or not. Please help!!! 

2 minutes ago, VHS_Tape said:

buying a whole new CPU will take like 4 years.

why?

also, don't trust bottleneck calculators. you will get a huge increase going from 730 to 580. sure, your cpu will stay at 100% and your gpu will be underutilised, but that doesn't mean you won't get a performance increase or anything will break.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

13 minutes ago, VHS_Tape said:

So I have a GT 730 rn and I want to upgrade it to the RX 580 but I have an i3 3210 and buying a whole new CPU will take like 4 years. How much will the bottleneck affect the fps? I have tried the bottleneck calculators online and they gave me very bad results, I don't know if I should trust them or not. Please help!!! 

An i3 3210 CPU in this day and age will probably hold back the RX 580 performance by quite a bit. What doesn't help either is that the i3 is  dual core CPU with hyperthreading. Some games nowadays do not support dual core CPU's in any fashion.

If you can get your hands on a second hand i5 or i7, that would be your best bet.

Think a CPU like:

i5: 2400, 2500(K), 3570(K)

i7: 2600(K), 3770(K)

Usually the i7 2600 goes for a reasonable price on the second hand market.

If you have a Z-series motherboard, a K variant of any of these might be worth it too, so you can overclock the CPU even further. 

Keep in mind the 'bottlenecking'  will depend on the game. A game like CS:GO or Minecraft will inherently have a lot of CPU 'bottlenecking', because it simply uses a lot more CPU than videocard power. But some other games will run better.

What games are you looking to play?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 2/26/2020 at 10:57 PM, minibois said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

An i3 3210 CPU in this day and age will probably hold back the RX 580 performance by quite a bit. What doesn't help either is that the i3 is  dual core CPU with hyperthreading. Some games nowadays do not support dual core CPU's in any fashion.

If you can get your hands on a second hand i5 or i7, that would be your best bet.

Think a CPU like:

i5: 2400, 2500(K), 3570(K)

i7: 2600(K), 3770(K)

Usually the i7 2600 goes for a reasonable price on the second hand market.

If you have a Z-series motherboard, a K variant of any of these might be worth it too, so you can overclock the CPU even further. 

Keep in mind the 'bottlenecking'  will depend on the game. A game like CS:GO or Minecraft will inherently have a lot of CPU 'bottlenecking', because it simply uses a lot more CPU than videocard power. But some other games will run better.

What games are you looking to play?

Thank you for your reply! 

I wanna play games like Rainbow Six Siege and GTA V.

Also the thing is that I can only afford to GPU right now :(

Few years later, I will be buying a whole new CPU, but till that I want to game on just... Not the GT 730. 

On 2/26/2020 at 10:43 PM, boggy77 said:

why?

also, don't trust bottleneck calculators. you will get a huge increase going from 730 to 580. sure, your cpu will stay at 100% and your gpu will be underutilised, but that doesn't mean you won't get a performance increase or anything will break.

Thank you for replying! 

The reason I cannot buy a new GPU right now is that we are expected to shift soon, so the whole family is saving money. 

I would be more worried about the power supply with an old prebuilt like that, how good is it and does it have 6+2 pin pcie connector?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

5 hours ago, butre said:

hit up ebay and grab a used rx570 and a used i7 3770.  it'll cost less than just buying a new 580 but will be a much more substantial upgrade.

I agree with this. You can get a used 570 where I live for 70-90 bucks and a used 2600,2600k, 3770, 3770k for about 50-70 bucks.

So your total would be 120-160 which is about the cost of a 580 new that isn't on sale.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:34 PM, butre said:

hit up ebay and grab a used rx570 and a used i7 3770.  it'll cost less than just buying a new 580 but will be a much more substantial upgrade.

Yeah, I'v been thinking about that too!
I'm going to do that instead of buying just an RX 580.

On 2/28/2020 at 2:02 PM, Ralf said:

I would be more worried about the power supply with an old prebuilt like that, how good is it and does it have 6+2 pin pcie connector?

It does, and It's 450W

• 3 weeks later...

Bought an i5 3470 with a RX 570 based on your suggestion. I'm very happy with the performance, I get 70FPS on R6S, 50FPS on Far Cry 5 and 70 to 80FPS on Nier Automata, all these games on the Ultra settings. The CPU and GPU work super well together but the AMD Radeon Settings tell me that my CPU is slightly below recommended requirements, but there are no problems with gaming at all. Thank you all for helping me!