Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VHS_Tape

Bottleneck too bad?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have a GT 730 rn and I want to upgrade it to the RX 580 but I have an i3 3210 and buying a whole new CPU will take like 4 years. How much will the bottleneck affect the fps? I have tried the bottleneck calculators online and they gave me very bad results, I don't know if I should trust them or not. Please help!!! 

2 minutes ago, VHS_Tape said:

buying a whole new CPU will take like 4 years.

why?

also, don't trust bottleneck calculators. you will get a huge increase going from 730 to 580. sure, your cpu will stay at 100% and your gpu will be underutilised, but that doesn't mean you won't get a performance increase or anything will break.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

13 minutes ago, VHS_Tape said:

So I have a GT 730 rn and I want to upgrade it to the RX 580 but I have an i3 3210 and buying a whole new CPU will take like 4 years. How much will the bottleneck affect the fps? I have tried the bottleneck calculators online and they gave me very bad results, I don't know if I should trust them or not. Please help!!! 

An i3 3210 CPU in this day and age will probably hold back the RX 580 performance by quite a bit. What doesn't help either is that the i3 is  dual core CPU with hyperthreading. Some games nowadays do not support dual core CPU's in any fashion.

If you can get your hands on a second hand i5 or i7, that would be your best bet.

Think a CPU like:

i5: 2400, 2500(K), 3570(K)

i7: 2600(K), 3770(K)

Usually the i7 2600 goes for a reasonable price on the second hand market.

If you have a Z-series motherboard, a K variant of any of these might be worth it too, so you can overclock the CPU even further. 

Keep in mind the 'bottlenecking'  will depend on the game. A game like CS:GO or Minecraft will inherently have a lot of CPU 'bottlenecking', because it simply uses a lot more CPU than videocard power. But some other games will run better.

What games are you looking to play?

I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

On 2/26/2020 at 10:57 PM, minibois said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

An i3 3210 CPU in this day and age will probably hold back the RX 580 performance by quite a bit. What doesn't help either is that the i3 is  dual core CPU with hyperthreading. Some games nowadays do not support dual core CPU's in any fashion.

If you can get your hands on a second hand i5 or i7, that would be your best bet.

Think a CPU like:

i5: 2400, 2500(K), 3570(K)

i7: 2600(K), 3770(K)

Usually the i7 2600 goes for a reasonable price on the second hand market.

If you have a Z-series motherboard, a K variant of any of these might be worth it too, so you can overclock the CPU even further. 

Keep in mind the 'bottlenecking'  will depend on the game. A game like CS:GO or Minecraft will inherently have a lot of CPU 'bottlenecking', because it simply uses a lot more CPU than videocard power. But some other games will run better.

What games are you looking to play?

Thank you for your reply! 

I wanna play games like Rainbow Six Siege and GTA V.

Also the thing is that I can only afford to GPU right now :(

Few years later, I will be buying a whole new CPU, but till that I want to game on just... Not the GT 730. 

On 2/26/2020 at 10:43 PM, boggy77 said:

why?

also, don't trust bottleneck calculators. you will get a huge increase going from 730 to 580. sure, your cpu will stay at 100% and your gpu will be underutilised, but that doesn't mean you won't get a performance increase or anything will break.

Thank you for replying! 

The reason I cannot buy a new GPU right now is that we are expected to shift soon, so the whole family is saving money. 

hit up ebay and grab a used rx570 and a used i7 3770.  it'll cost less than just buying a new 580 but will be a much more substantial upgrade.

R5 3600 @ 4.1 1.29V    BE QUIET! DARK ROCK PRO 4    MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC    GIGABYTE RTX 2070S@2115/7667/1965    

CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 @ 3800 16-23-18-36    HP EX920 512GB    SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB    COOLER MASTER NR600    EVGA 850GQ 

I would be more worried about the power supply with an old prebuilt like that, how good is it and does it have 6+2 pin pcie connector?

5 hours ago, butre said:

hit up ebay and grab a used rx570 and a used i7 3770.  it'll cost less than just buying a new 580 but will be a much more substantial upgrade.

I agree with this. You can get a used 570 where I live for 70-90 bucks and a used 2600,2600k, 3770, 3770k for about 50-70 bucks.

So your total would be 120-160 which is about the cost of a 580 new that isn't on sale.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:34 PM, butre said:

Yeah, I'v been thinking about that too!
I'm going to do that instead of buying just an RX 580.

On 2/28/2020 at 2:02 PM, Ralf said:

I would be more worried about the power supply with an old prebuilt like that, how good is it and does it have 6+2 pin pcie connector?

It does, and It's 450W

Bought an i5 3470 with a RX 570 based on your suggestion. I'm very happy with the performance, I get 70FPS on R6S, 50FPS on Far Cry 5 and 70 to 80FPS on Nier Automata, all these games on the Ultra settings. The CPU and GPU work super well together but the AMD Radeon Settings tell me that my CPU is slightly below recommended requirements, but there are no problems with gaming at all. Thank you all for helping me!