rx 5700 sapphire pulse thermal throttling

dreamcast4599

so i have a sapphire pulse 5700 that i picked up last year.i paired it with a ryzen 7 2700 and a 360mm aio inside a phanteks enthoo primo case. i tried to play AC:odyssey on medium settings at 1080p, i was only able to max out at around 59 fps average. with all settings on low i am lucky if i get 61 fps average i think that my RX 5700 sapphire pulse may be thermal throttling whats the best way to fix this issue aside from taking the gpu apart id assume making a fan curve would help

reason i know im throttling is because i showed a member of a local techie facebook group a copy of my gpuz log and thats what he told me was going on 

sounds more like Vsync is enabled than anything if you are staying at about 60 fps. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

27 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

so i have a sapphire pulse 5700 that i picked up last year.i paired it with a ryzen 7 2700 and a 360mm aio inside a phanteks enthoo primo case. i tried to play AC:odyssey on medium settings at 1080p, i was only able to max out at around 59 fps average. with all settings on low i am lucky if i get 61 fps average i think that my RX 5700 sapphire pulse may be thermal throttling whats the best way to fix this issue aside from taking the gpu apart id assume making a fan curve would help

reason i know im throttling is because i showed a member of a local techie facebook group a copy of my gpuz log and thats what he told me was going on 

What temp are you talking about ? What is the GPU usage ?

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

sounds more like Vsync is enabled than anything if you are staying at about 60 fps. 

nope vsync is off 

Screenshot (10).png

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

50 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

i think that my RX 5700 sapphire pulse may be thermal throttling

Did you ever check?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Did you ever check?

yes gpuz log says thermal throttle even asked my mate on FB and he said same thing

4 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

yes gpuz log says thermal throttle even asked my mate on FB and he said same thing

Alright, nake sure your case has enough airflow to cool the GPU. You could make your intake or exhaust fans faster to see if that makes a difference.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

18 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Alright, nake sure your case has enough airflow to cool the GPU. You could make your intake or exhaust fans faster to see if that makes a difference.

how do i make fans faster sorry im new heres a pic of my case enthoo primo

airflow-idea-4.png.ed2b7eb77f79a8c22e93843c11f16f77.png

33 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

Yes but how much temp did it say the GPU reached ? Does your GPU usage go close to 100% ?

You shouldnt be having an airflow issue with that setup. ensure that your fans are orientated correctly and not installed backwards first.

For a quick check of thermal throttling, use msi afterburner, or the amd oc software and turn the fan speed to 100%, use a monitoring software that will show you core speeds and temps on an overlay.

Watch the core speed and see if it is dropping significantly. Secondly after a year of use maybe its time to pull the gpu out and do some cleaning, you could have some dust accumulation that is hindering temps. Dust can act as an insulator driving temps up quickly. 

7 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

how do i make fans faster sorry im new heres a pic of my case enthoo primo

it may not be an air flow issue. While sapphire cards are not known for this issue the rx 5xxx family has had issues with mounting pressure. Another thing to check if it is thermal throttling is thermal paste, and fan curves to make sure the fans are actually spinning fast enough in response to the heat being generated.

Ryzen 3600 @4.3ghz stock voltage, Rx 580 @1460mhz core @2150mhz Mem, Asus Prime x570-p, G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Cl 16-17-17-37

It’s gotta be a fan curve or mounting pressure issue. I have a xfx rx5700 flashed with the xt bios plus 20% power limit and it doesn’t thermal throttle. It gets hot but doesn’t throttle. 

Post a pic of your gpu fan curve please. It’s in Radeon settings 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

32 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

how do i make fans faster

In the BIOS you can set fan speeds

Primary PC:

3 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

It’s gotta be a fan curve or mounting pressure issue. I have a xfx rx5700 flashed with the xt bios plus 20% power limit and it doesn’t thermal throttle. It gets hot but doesn’t throttle. 

Post a pic of your gpu fan curve please. It’s in Radeon settings 

@Gohardgrandpa i dont see fan settings im on the new 2020 drivers but in AC:odyssey the clock speed fopr the gpu jumps from 1107 to 815 mhz never goes higher then 1107 mhz but the clock speed fluctuates like crazy

4 hours ago, maverick_brent said:

You shouldnt be having an airflow issue with that setup. ensure that your fans are orientated correctly and not installed backwards first.

For a quick check of thermal throttling, use msi afterburner, or the amd oc software and turn the fan speed to 100%, use a monitoring software that will show you core speeds and temps on an overlay.

Watch the core speed and see if it is dropping significantly. Secondly after a year of use maybe its time to pull the gpu out and do some cleaning, you could have some dust accumulation that is hindering temps. Dust can act as an insulator driving temps up quickly. 

@maverick_brent heres my gpu clocks for the game that i think is causing gpu thermal throttle 

87458634_127914621968066_8545060623367536640_n.png

5 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@Gohardgrandpa i dont see fan settings im on the new 2020 drivers but in AC:odyssey the clock speed fopr the gpu jumps from 1107 to 815 mhz never goes higher then 1107 mhz but the clock speed fluctuates like crazy

Shouldn't that card top out over 2ghz? 1100mhz is super low.      EDITED : I'm sorry that particular card is 1750 boost, not 2ghz I looked up the wrong card.

The Junction max for that card is 110c (the "hot spot" temp) 

So if your core temps are reaching 90c, it's likely your FB buddy is correct, the card is thermal throttling and hard too.

I like your case setup. 

2 things you could try. 

The fan to the left top rear of the case next to the Radiator, maybe flip that over to create a positive and additional fresh air intake.

Other thing you could do is mod the side panel to install a fan right in front of the card feeding it additional cool air intake.

Hope this helps! 

Use some software to see the actual temperature as other people have said, not just clock speed and FPS.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Can you run something like Unigine or TimeSpy benchmark and have HWinfo or MSI afterburner on and then screenshot them to see what your max temps and fan speeds are? Might give us a bit more information and help you better with the problem. I'm suprised you're having issues with this card, Sapphire are probably the best RX5700(XT) card manufacturer next to PowerColor and Gigabyte. I'd understand if it was Asus or XFX.

19 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

Did you actually check the temps? Also, make sure you have good airflow in the case

6 hours ago, ZzLy said:

Did you actually check the temps? Also, make sure you have good airflow in the case

i have great airflow enthoo primo

airflow-idea-4.png.ed2b7eb77f79a8c22e93843c11f16f77.png

Let's go old school to just test something....pull your side panel off your case get a house fan and blow it onto your graphics card. Run the game again and check temps/clocks. 

Edit: After reading some other peoples comments, I am going to go ahead an begin to agree with th fact it could be a fan curve or a mounting pressure issue. 

First adjust the fan curve, this is a step by step to do so I stole from a guide. For the sake of your test I would just put the fan curve to 100% max to diagnose if the fan speed si actually your issue or if it a mounting issue.

1. Right-click on the desktop and open AMD Radeon Settings.
  2. Click on the gaming tab.
  3. Click on global settings.

4. Click on the global wattman tab.

5. Scroll down to the fan & temperature block.

6. Move the speed/temperature toggle from automatic to manual.

7. Slide the toggles until you have a curve that you're happy with.

8. Click apply